Mancini. Cisco, Trumbo, Alvarez and Wieters

Bahama O's Fan

Really! You understand it changes based on the abilities of the players on the roster to take advantage of the ballpark? The Royals in the 80's would add speedy players to take advantage of the turf and fast infield. Tailoring your roster to the ballpark is a function of the GM responsibilities.

Really! It also changes due to random variation, weather, and people putting up really hideous hotels.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really! It also changes due to random variation, weather, and people putting up really hideous hotels.

Has the weather in Baltimore dramatically changed over the last 10 years? Is there something about the weather here I have not heard about? After CY opened it was known as a hitters park and still is 20+ years later. NO?

From our bull pen? Yes. As well as Manny, Jones, CD, Kim, Hardy, Weiters, and Schoop.

The O's pitchers collectively are # 17 in earned runs in the majors

The O's hitters are #1 in hr and 2 in OPS in the majors

Trumbo is #1 on the O's in hr & RBI

Kim/Rickard LF, AJ CF. Reddick/Bruce/Saunders/Smith.

Exactly my point. Most of those guys are going to cost a draft pick. You can't keep prospects and keep draft picks to replace Trumbo. Plus have to give a flawed/risky FA 8 million, if you don't want to lose a draft pick, that's what you get.

Safest and best bet is to give Trumbo 4/57. AKA what Nelson Cruz got, but less than the 4/72 that Alex Gordon got.

Has the weather in Baltimore dramatically changed over the last 10 years? Is there something about the weather here I have not heard about? After CY opened it was known as a hitters park and still is 20+ years later. NO?

No.

You didn't notice the comment about the hotel?

How could you miss the comment about the hotel?

Did you think I would just randomly mention someone building a hotel?

Here are the park factors the last 10 years, starting with 2016 and working backwards:

99/99

109/109

97/96

103/103

109/109

96/97

102/104

99/100

101/102

104/105

So, 7 years out of 10 it was a ballpark that favored hitters. The other three years, it wasn't. I certainly consider it to be a good hitters' park, especially for the long ball.

Here are the park factors the last 10 years, starting with 2016 and working backwards:

99/99

109/109

97/96

103/103

109/109

96/97

102/104

99/100

101/102

104/105

So, 7 years out of 10 it was a ballpark that favored hitters. The other three years, it wasn't. I certainly consider it to be a good hitters' park, especially for the long ball.

Exactly, it's inconsistent.

It trends in a direction but it isn't something that's reliable.

No.

You didn't notice the comment about the hotel?

How could you miss the comment about the hotel?

Did you think I would just randomly mention someone building a hotel?

So what are you suggesting the erection of a hotel has done to Oriole Park's reputation as a hitters park?

So what are you suggesting the erection of a hotel has done to Oriole Park's reputation as a hitters park?

It wasn't a hitter's park when it opened.

The construction of the Hilton hotel changed the air currents and made it more conducive to promoting offense.

Exactly, it's inconsistent.

It trends in a direction but it isn't something that's reliable.

If you have bad lineup in it the numbers will change. Park factors are a function of the ballpark's characteristics and a the players abilities to take advantage of those advantages. If the grass is high in the infield. But there is no good bunt skills on the roster then it's a waste. I am not taking advantage of home field.

Advisory note: in 2012 Trumbo had his best first half .358 .608 .965 ; a notorious second half regresser, he put up .227 .271 .359 .630

Trumbo played in LAA, Arizona & Seattle. All 3 Park Factors where in the 20's in 2015. So while Baltimore was #2.

Exactly my point. Most of those guys are going to cost a draft pick. You can't keep prospects and keep draft picks to replace Trumbo. Plus have to give a flawed/risky FA 8 million, if you don't want to lose a draft pick, that's what you get.

Safest and best bet is to give Trumbo 4/57. AKA what Nelson Cruz got, but less than the 4/72 that Alex Gordon got.

Not for a DH. There are plenty of cheaper options who will do as well as Trumbo's career average, probably better. And I would wait until the second half is over before I anoint Trumbo the second coming of Cruz.

Trumbo played in LAA, Arizona & Seattle. All 3 Park Factors where in the 20's in 2015. So while Baltimore was #2.
He played in the same parks the first half as the second. The parks had nothing to do with his regressing.

Archived