O's are 49-28 when the O's starter gives up 5 or less earned runs.

wildcard

That's a .636 win percentage.

They are 45-20 when the starter gives ups 4 earned run or less. Thats a .692 win percentage.

The starters have given up 6 earned run 8 times and the O's have a 2-6 record in those games. Ubaldo has given up 6 earned runs in four games.

The starters have given up 8 earned runs twice. Both losses. One by Wilson and one by Wright

With a 5 run offense, a great bull pen and a good defense the O's don't appear to need a great starting staff.

Tillman, Gausman and Gallardo should do well in the 2nd half. I think Worley could replace Jimenez and give up less than 5 runs a start on average.

Wilson is someone I think the O's have to look at coming out of the break and see if his arm freshens up. If it does the O's should be fine. But if it doesn't they will need another starter.

There are always injures and more starting depth would be a good thing. But really if a starter gives up 4 earned runs a start and goes 5 innings he will have a 7.20 ERA but the rest of the O's team could still win the majority of the games he starts.

Its a way different perspective than we are used too. But one worth thinking about.

The next 6 weeks are critical for the O's. When the roster expands in September its a whole different game with many pitchers coming up from the minors. Buck handles that kind of roster really well.

So its really can the O's have just a decent starting staff for the next 6 weeks. If they do it will mean making the playoffs.

That timeline is the important element. That means that it's much more important for Dan to strike quickly if he's going to pull the trigger, because waiting until the deadline is burning 1/3 of the critical period.

But it takes two to tango. Teams that have pitching to trade often like to wait to see how high the offers go before they trade.

But it takes two to tango. Teams that have pitching to trade often like to wait to see how high the offers go before they trade.

Yup. No question we are not in the drivers' seat at all (as others have pointed out, Dan does not have that advantage like AM did).

That's a .636 win percentage.

They are 45-20 when the starter gives ups 4 earned run or less. Thats a .692 win percentage.

The starters have given up 6 earned run 8 times and the O's have a 2-6 record in those games. Ubaldo has given up 6 earned runs in four games.

The starters have given up 8 earned runs twice. Both losses. One by Wilson and one by Wright

With a 5 run offense, a great bull pen and a good defense the O's don't appear to need a great starting staff.

Tillman, Gausman and Gallardo should do well in the 2nd half. I think Worley could replace Jimenez and give up less than 5 runs a start on average.

Wilson is someone I think the O's have to look at coming out of the break and see if his arm freshens up. If it does the O's should be fine. But if it doesn't they will need another starter.

There are always injures and more starting depth would be a good thing. But really if a starter gives up 4 earned runs a start and goes 5 innings he will have a 7.20 ERA but the rest of the O's team could still win the majority of the games he starts.

Its a way different perspective than we are used too. But one worth thinking about.

The next 6 weeks are critical for the O's. When the roster expands in September its a whole different game with many pitchers coming up from the minors. Buck handles that kind of roster really well.

So its really can the O's have just a decent starting staff for the next 6 weeks. If they do it will mean making the playoffs.

I agree with this. 4 and 5 slots just have to advance from catastrophic to merely bad. If Worley, Despaigne, revived Wilson, Wright, Gunkel, trade acquisition, a random fan in the stand...whomever...can come and pitch badly in 4 or 5 slots, we will win this thing in a walk.

49 - 28: That's a .636 win percentage.

These are excellent points. I don't think we're going to get much traction in the trade market as I

think other teams with similar needs are in a better bargaining position... specifically with

more prospects to offer. I feel like if the guys we have now, minus Jimenez (because I don't

trust he's going to be able to improve) need to tighten their games up. If that occurs, and they

pitch to their averages they are right in that 3.50 to 4.50 ERA range that puts us largely in the

.600 plus winning percentage. If that occurs, we win the Division with 95 plus wins.

Think it's pretty sad that the starting rotation has allowed 5 or more runs 22 times. That's 25% of the time. Going off the numbers provided in this thread, though.

Yes but when its only 5 earned runs the offense and pen have covered for them fairly often. The O's are 5-7 when the staters allow 5 earned runs.

Archived