Does this team represent the best chance we are going to have to go to the World Series for a while?

Frobby

I got to thinking, I'm not very confident that the Orioles are going to have a better team than this one in the next few years.

1. We have a few 2017 free agents who will be hard to replace, or will cost more money to retain, and they are over 30 and more likely to decline than improve (Wieters, Trumbo).

2. We have some key players who are aging and declining either a little or a lot (Hardy, O'Day, Jones and arguably Davis).

3. We don't have minor leaguers who look like they are ready to step in and have a huge impact right away.

4. We only have Tillman for one more year.

This leads me to the question -- is that a reason to go ahead and strip the farm system in a "win now" strategy?

Counterpoints:

1. If Gausman develops and Bundy is able to become a TOR starter, maybe the pitching is better in 2017-18 than in 2016.

2. Schoop and Manny are still in their upswing years.

3. We really don't know what we have in Sisco, Mancini, and Harvey. They might have more impact than expected in the not distant future.

And of course, if we do "go for it," we can expect things to get worse pretty fast after this season.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, the direction I would take at the deadline would have a lot to do with whether or not I could extend Manny. If we can't keep Manny, then I would be targeting a legit TOR starter and going for it this year and next.

I got to thinking, I'm not very confident that the Orioles are going to have a better team than this one in the next few years.

1. We have a few 2017 free agents who will be hard to replace, or will cost more money to retain, and they are over 30 and more likely to decline than improve (Wieters, Trumbo).

2. We have some key players who are aging and declining either a little or a lot (Hardy, O'Day, Jones and arguably Davis).

3. We don't have minor leaguers who look like they are ready to step in and have a huge impact right away.

4. We only have Tillman for one more year.

This leads me to the question -- is that a reason to go ahead and strip the farm system in a "win now" strategy?

Counterpoints:

1. If Gausman develops and Bundy is able to become a TOR starter, maybe the pitching is better in 2017-18 than in 2016.

2. Schoop and Manny are still in their upswing years.

3. We really don't know what we have in Sisco, Mancini, and Harvey. They might have more impact than expected in the not distant future.

And of course, if we do "go for it," we can expect things to get worse pretty fast after this season.

Welcome to the darkside. Get whatever pitching is necessary.

NO

This team may make the playoffs but with the starting rotation (no matter who DD adds)

they are not going to make/win a World Series).

Any serious chance of winning a World Series will require the development of several

stud TOR starters

I think you misread the question. He didn't ask if this team could win the World Series, he asked if this was the teams best chance for a long time.

If you can make the playoffs, you have a punchers chance at winning the thing. We have the bullpen to shorten the games so as long as the starters don't implode then we in theory should be fine.

Next year's team could very well do it. Even with a weaker offense by losing out on Trumbo, Wieters and Pedro.

If Tilly stays the same, and Gausman can improve to where we think he should be, and if Bundy is in the rotation, that is 3 very strong arm.

Of course, this is a whole lot of "ifs". But, the 3 arms above should be rock solid.

NO

This team may make the playoffs but with the starting rotation (no matter who DD adds)

they are not going to make/win a World Series).

Any serious chance of winning a World Series will require the development of several

stud TOR starters

Just because you shout it does not make it true.

I think you misread the question. He didn't ask if this team could win the World Series' date=' he asked if this was the teams best chance for a long time.

If you can make the playoffs, you have a punchers chance at winning the thing. We have the bullpen to shorten the games so as long as the starters don't implode then we in theory should be fine.[/quote']

We have a punchers chance. We need a couple pitchers.

In the first few weeks of the season, the Orioles won and won often, but typically not all that pretty. The rotation was a mess, but the offense was humming and the club got some good fortune. It meant that the data analyst cautious approach continued to note that the Orioles looked uneven and ready to fail. Keith Law noted that without the winning streak at the beginning of the year, the club had played .500 ball. Yes, we all know that removing a winning streak makes a team look worse and that there is typically no good reason to ignore a week and a half of games. Anyway, an allegedly drunken Steve Melewski allegedly ran wild in several more local Best Buys.

"The calls are coming from inside the house!"

Archived