Has Joey Rickard played enough games to lose his rule five status?

Diehard_O's_Fan

Would he have to make the playoff roster?

No. He does not need to play again. Or be on a roster again. Though his September time will count.

Rule also states that the draftee must be active for at least 90 days.
Starting date is April 4' date=' 2016 so that means that 90 days later would be July 3, 2016.[/quote']

A Rule 5 draftee needs to be on the active (non-DL) roster for 90 days. Rickard was on the roster for 93 games (100+ days). He does not need to be activated in September, though I can't see any way he doesn't make the Opening Day roster next year regardless.

He'll be a bench guy for sure... I think he'll have a very Ryan Flaherty type career.

That would be a pretty big disappointment. Flaherty's strength is that he can play multiple positions adequately. That is pretty much it. He's a career 1.3 WAR player in five professional seasons.

I would hope for/expect more value from Rickard even as a fourth outfielder.

We joke about the Rule 5 but we've done really well. Just think if we keep Logan Verrett last year over Jason Garcia.

Really well?

Flaherty- 2 rWAR over 5 seasons

TJ- .4 rWAR over 4 seasons

Garcia- -.1 rWAR

Rickard- -.5 rWAR

Looks to me that if you add them all up you get 1.8 wins over parts of 11 seasons.

Is there some value in that? Yea, I guess.

But I wouldn't say they have done really well.

A Rule 5 draftee needs to be on the active (non-DL) roster for 90 days. Rickard was on the roster for 93 games (100+ days). He does not need to be activated in September, though I can't see any way he doesn't make the Opening Day roster next year regardless.

Really? .696 OPS, 84 OPS+, -9Rtot, -0.5 rWAR and he's sure to get a roster spot next year?

To me, Rickard has had his moments, but he's no better than 50-50 to make next year's Opening Day roster.

Really? .696 OPS, 84 OPS+, -9Rtot, -0.5 rWAR and he's sure to get a roster spot next year?

To me, Rickard has had his moments, but he's no better than 50-50 to make next year's Opening Day roster.

I think he hit fairly well considering he spent part of last year in A ball. Seems like the hit/on base tool is there for him.

Would have liked to see a few more stolen bases and the outfield defense was a disappointment.

A .700 OPS guy with some speed has some value as a fourth outfielder or a plug and play if one of your outfielders gets injured. Feel way better about having him as my fourth OFer than David Lough for example. I think his defense will improve, but maybe I'm being optimistic. .861 OPS against left handers is also pretty nice, although it was only 90 at bats.

I agree, and if he can come back in the fall and contribute, that will help his cause.

Really well?

Flaherty- 2 rWAR over 5 seasons

TJ- .4 rWAR over 4 seasons

Garcia- -.1 rWAR

Rickard- -.5 rWAR

Looks to me that if you add them all up you get 1.8 wins over parts of 11 seasons.

Is there some value in that? Yea, I guess.

But I wouldn't say they have done really well.

I dont care about Flaherty and his rWAR, Flaherty has played a very important role on this team, his play when Manny went down in 2014 was very steady and while he wasn't Manny, he played very well in his absence.

He played well at 3rd, when Hardy went to the DL and Manny went to SS.

I dont care about Flaherty and his rWAR, Flaherty has played a very important role on this team, his play when Manny went down in 2014 was very steady and while he wasn't Manny, he played very well in his absence.

He played well at 3rd, when Hardy went to the DL and Manny went to SS.

He's played the role of someone you can pick up on the waiver wire in March.

He's a role player and a below average major league player.

He's useful enough to have around as long as he isn't making a lot of money.

But he isn't good enough to say with confidence that the Orioles have done "really well" with their rule V acquisitions.

Archived