Error on the pitcher?

MdSooner

The catcher didn't catch the ball?

Does anyone else think this is wrong? Yeah the pitcher bobbled the ball but the catcher didn't catch the ball!

The throw was kind of crummy as well. Fielded cleanly, he would have had an easy play at the plate.

MLB always reviews plays like these and make post-game changes to the box score days later. In this case, nothing stats wise will change. Manny won't be given a hit regardless of whatever they decide and the run won't be earned either. It's just a matter of who to give the blame to.

Does anyone else think this is wrong? Yeah the pitcher bobbled the ball but the catcher didn't catch the ball!

Fairly obvious E2 from my perspective. I think there is a good chance it gets changed.

Both messed up but you can't give 1/2 an error to each. Pitcher probably doesn't care about his fielding percentage anyway.

That error is on the pitcher. If the catcher makes the catch, Jones may well have beaten the tag, it was way up on his leg.

Not sure why Jones hesitated, if he hadn't, he would have beaten the tag easily.

Gotta go on contact and make them make a play in that situation. Winning run is on second regardless.

So I was watching a little Red Sox / tigers on bspn and when bspn shows a score alert they usually tell how the run(s) was scored. They showed final alert Orioles 3 Rockies 2 but didn't say how run scored. Were they butthurt that the Orioles won again and their precious Red Sox were about to lose? :)

Had the pitcher not bobbled and then drop the ball, there would have been plenty of time to make a better throw to the catcher. E1.

By Jones going did it keep the pitcher from trying for a DP? Not sure as he bobbled it anyway.

I'd never give Manny a decent first pitch.

Bad at-bat by Machado, bad baserunning by Jones, bad fielding by Lyles, bad catch by Hundley. If there's a DVD of 2016 highlights I hope this isn't on it.

I don't see it as bad baserunning by Jones. He couldn't anticipate that the pitcher was going to drop the ball, and so it took a split-second for him to get into gear when that happened.

Weiters should have had two pass ball!calls too

While Wieters should have blocked those wild pitches, those type of pitches, in the dirt and off the plate, are scored as wild pitches and not passed balls 100% of the time across MLB. Scorers don't get to make stuff up. They have league standards, and their decisions are reviewed constantly. Had those been called PBs, they would have been overturned with a black mark going on the scorer's record.

Archived