What Would You Give Up To Acquire Sale?

ORIOLE33

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apples and oranges, different teams and different competition in the AL East. Schoop is a much more important part of this team than he was then.

Manny was important to the team in 2014, and it would have been nice to have had him, but I don't think they lost the ALCS, because he wasn't there. Schoop isn't the impact player that Manny is.

Not that I am trying to take anything away from the dude, I want him here with Manny for the next 10 years+.

I like Bundy and I think he will be a good SP. I wish the Orioles would extend him so we get to have move than 1.25 seasons of him in the rotation but theres no way he will have a career ERA below 3.00 and 1000k's.

He will not be a free agent until 2020.

Manny was important to the team in 2014, and it would have been nice to have had him, but I don't think they lost the ALCS, because he wasn't there. Schoop isn't the impact player that Manny is.

Not that I am trying to take anything away from the dude, I want him here with Manny for the next 10 years+.

Schoop had a 1.5 WAR, .209 average in 137 games in 2014. This year, he is at 2.7 WAR through 98 games played. I think putting Ryan Flaherty at second for the rest of the season would be a very risky move and would jeopardize this season's remaining success and losing Schoop would be disastrous for the future. I would not send Schoop as an addition to all the other pieces mentioned for adding Sale.

We actually reached out to the White Sox on Sale and Quintana to gauge interest. I'll check this afternoon to the substance of those talks but keep in mind we read out to almost everyone.

We have had discussions today with LA regarding Santiago too.

We actually reached out to the White Sox on Sale and Quintana to gauge interest. I'll check this afternoon to the substance of those talks but keep in mind we read out to almost everyone.

We have had discussions today with LA regarding Santiago too.

Why not gauge interest?

I think the better question is...Would you be willing to trade Kevin Gausman in a deal for Chris Sale because I think that's the starting point plus prospects.

Schoop had a 1.5 WAR, .209 average in 137 games in 2014. This year, he is at 2.7 WAR through 98 games played. I think putting Ryan Flaherty at second for the rest of the season would be a very risky move and would jeopardize this season's remaining success and losing Schoop would be disastrous for the future. I would not send Schoop as an addition to all the other pieces mentioned for adding Sale.

You can't look at Flaherty's WAR, since he isn't an everyday player.

Manny is a 7+ WAR when healthy, and Flaherty isn't close to that, but the team didn't lose the ALCS because Flaherty was playing.

Flaherty is much closer to 2.7 WAR, than 7+ WAR.

What's more risky than putting Flaherty at 2nd, would be, the drop off, by bringing Janish up as utility bench player.

Granted his defense is solid, better at SS than Flaherty, but not as good at third. Janish has no bat.

I said I was being a homer.

Bundy has the tools to dominate the hitters, like nobody I've seen here since Mussina.

Sale is at 1.06 WHIP and over 10 k/9 for his career at age 27. He's been top 6 in Cy voting the last 4 seasons and this year will make it 5 if he's not traded out of the AL. He's the active leader in K/9 and 3rd all time. I'd love to see Dylan Bundy reach that level - but I'm not sure he ever quite gets to that level of dominance.

Sale is at 1.06 WHIP and over 10 k/9 for his career at age 27. He's been top 6 in Cy voting the last 4 seasons and this year will make it 5 if he's not traded out of the AL. He's the active leader in K/9 and 3rd all time. I'd love to see Dylan Bundy reach that level - but I'm not sure he ever quite gets to that level of dominance.

I see Dylan being a big strikeout guy on the mound.

5Ks in 5 innings his last start

4Ks in 3.1 innings, in his first start.

he has also thrown 7 Ks in 2.1 earlier in the year.

Considering, this is his first real taste of big league pitching, he is still learning.

No sense trading Bundy or Gausman - that just opens up another rotation hole - a hole we need to plug. No sense trading Schoop - that opens up a critical defensive and lineup hole. I would however be willing to deal all minor leaguers under contract - all affiliates from Norfolk to the GCL - for Chris Sale. This may seem like hyperbole - and perhaps it is - but we have a chance to win the World Series this season - and then maybe next too with Sale on board - and I'm prepared to live with the dire ramifications of needing to start completely over with our minor league system if need be.

I see Dylan being a big strikeout guy on the mound.

5Ks in 5 innings his last start

4Ks in 3.1 innings, in his first start.

he has also thrown 7 Ks in 2.1 earlier in the year.

Considering, this is his first real taste of big league pitching, he is still learning.

For sure - I hope so too - but Sale is the active leader in K/9. 3rd highest in the history of baseball (no decline phase to his career yet of course). It's hard to imagine Bundy will surpass that.

No sense trading Bundy or Gausman - that just opens up another rotation hole - a hole we need to plug. No sense trading Schoop - that opens up a critical defensive and lineup hole. I would however be willing to deal all minor leaguers under contract - all affiliates from Norfolk to the GCL - for Chris Sale. This may seem like hyperbole - and perhaps it is - but we have a chance to win the World Series this season - and then maybe next too with Sale on board - and I'm prepared to live with the dire ramifications of needing to start completely over with our minor league system if need be.

All minor leaguers. Me too.

Not sure if its true or not but it was mentioned on Boston sports radio that when the Sox inquired about Sale they requested Betts, Benintendi and 3-4 other prospects for Sale.

No chance the Orioles have the assets to get Sale without creating more holes.

Archived