What Would You Give Up To Acquire Sale?

ORIOLE33

For sure - I hope so too - but Sale is the active leader in K/9. 3rd highest in the history of baseball (no decline phase to his career yet of course). It's hard to imagine Bundy will surpass that.

Sale hasn't had a CY Young.

So what if Bundy, doesn't pass Sale as active leader in Ks, but rakes in 1-3 CY Youngs and Sale like Mussina doesn't get one, then he would have surpass him, career wise.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if its true or not but it was mentioned on Boston sports radio that when the Sox inquired about Sale they requested Betts, Benintendi and 3-4 other prospects for Sale.

No chance the Orioles have the assets to get Sale without creating more holes.

Holes in the 25 man? Just exchanging Bundy for Sale what holes?

You can't look at Flaherty's WAR, since he isn't an everyday player.

Manny is a 7+ WAR when healthy, and Flaherty isn't close to that, but the team didn't lose the ALCS because Flaherty was playing.

Flaherty is much closer to 2.7 WAR, than 7+ WAR.

What's more risky than putting Flaherty at 2nd, would be, the drop off, by bringing Janish up as utility bench player.

Granted his defense is solid, better at SS than Flaherty, but not as good at third. Janish has no bat.

Manny, of course, wasn't an everyday player either in 2014 due to injuries and thus gave us only 2.4 WAR in 2014. We also had Steve Pearce contributing 5.9 WAR and Nelson Cruz and Andrew Miller in 2014. Apples and oranges- two different seasons, two different teams and different competition. I was noting only that Jonathan's own WAR in 2014 was much less than his own WAR in 2016 and thus he is a much more valuable contributor this year than he was in 2014. But, again, it really is apples and oranges. Comparing the 2014 to 2016 team has too many other variables to try to replicate. I will stand by my original comment that putting Ryan Flaherty in place of Jonathan Schoop in 2016, right now, would seriously damage our chances of winning the pennant in 2016 even with the addition of Chris Sale, imho. And it would be even worse in future seasons (with effects on re-signing Manny, Schoop likely becoming truly elite, etc.)

Holes in the 25 man? Just exchanging Bundy for Sale what holes?

Bundy is not even close to enough even with Sisco, Mancini and whatever other prospects you want to throw in. It would probably take Bundy/Gausman, Schoop and then our 3 top prospects

Not sure if its true or not but it was mentioned on Boston sports radio that when the Sox inquired about Sale they requested Betts, Benintendi and 3-4 other prospects for Sale.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“Billy Beane is not going to trade Gray.” – <a href="https://twitter.com/pgammo">@pgammo</a> on Sonny Gray. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TradeDeadline?src=hash">#TradeDeadline</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheRundown?src=hash">#TheRundown</a></p>— MLB Network PR (@MLBNetworkPR) <a href="

">July 26, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What did Boston say to that deal?

Bundy is not even close to enough even with Sisco, Mancini and whatever other prospects you want to throw in. It would probably take Bundy/Gausman, Schoop and then our 3 top prospects

I would only trade Bundy not Gausman and I'd include Givens or Brach from the 25, but not School. They can have their pick of 3-4 MiL prospectus should be plenty.

Sale hasn't had a CY Young.

So what if Bundy, doesn't pass Sale as active leader in Ks, but rakes in 1-3 CY Youngs and Sale like Mussina doesn't get one, then he would have surpass him, career wise.

Cy Young is awarded by vote of baseball writers. I dont' thinking winning one means anything more than being consistent over your career at high level like Mussina.

I would give that. But I don't think the White Sox take it.

Yeah I would too. I don't think adding Wright moves the needle. Might as well put someone else in that spot in the trade.

Bundy, Givens, Cisco, Mountcastle, Mancini would be more realistic.

There were threads like this a few years back about cliff Lee a few months before his career was essentially ended due to injury. Some people never learn. I wouldn't consider trading for him, too much risk in a 5 for one deal for a pitcher.

There were threads like this a few years back about cliff Lee a few months before his career was essentially ended due to injury. Some people never learn. I wouldn't consider trading for him, too much risk in a 5 for one deal for a pitcher.

This. I still say that it's just a matter of time before Sale injures that arm.

My strategy would be to hope a deal isn't happening with Sale and then to throw a boatload of quantity at them at the last minute. If any deal where we don't lose Bundy is possible, I'd do it. Something crazy like:

Harvey, Sisco, Mancini, Peralta, Reyes and Givens for Sale. I would have to reconsider including a guy like Bundy. I like Sale, but do fear injuries for him. I similarly fear Bundy, so I'd include him but really don't know how I'd value him.

Then there's always the chance of taking on payroll. It's not clear that our owner is THAT motivated, or even if that's a motivation for them. However, we could theoretically take on a guy like Navarro, Melky Cabrera (who they may want to keep) or even take on Shields' salary for Ubaldo (would be roughly us taking on $10 million), but it's about a wash this year.

If you're like me and value quantity, that's the type of deal that would have a good chance to payoff more WAR than it lets go over the course of those players controllable years, and for less salary.

Chances of this are a snowball's chance on Eutaw street this week, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

My strategy would be to hope a deal isn't happening with Sale and then to throw a boatload of quantity at them at the last minute. If any deal where we don't lose Bundy is possible, I'd do it. Something crazy like:

Harvey, Sisco, Mancini, Peralta, Reyes and Givens for Sale. I would have to reconsider including a guy like Bundy. I like Sale, but do fear injuries for him. I similarly fear Bundy, so I'd include him but really don't know how I'd value him.

Then there's always the chance of taking on payroll. It's not clear that our owner is THAT motivated, or even if that's a motivation for them. However, we could theoretically take on a guy like Navarro, Melky Cabrera (who they may want to keep) or even take on Shields' salary for Ubaldo (would be roughly us taking on $10 million), but it's about a wash this year.

If you're like me and value quantity, that's the type of deal that would have a good chance to payoff more WAR than it lets go over the course of those players controllable years, and for less salary.

Chances of this are a snowball's chance on Eutaw street this week, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

If Gray is off the market, and Teheran is off the market...

Archived