What Would You Give Up To Acquire Sale?

ORIOLE33

I'm thinking big and I'm thinking championship. I honestly would go for broke this year. The hell with 3 years from now. I'm not interested in getting a middle of the road pitcher. Let's go out and get a stud and become the favorites to represent the AL in the World Series.

I think I would give up possibly the top 3 prospects we have to get Sale, if that what it takes.

For fun, I'll play. It would take:

Schoop

Bundy/Gausman (pick 1)

Givens

Wright/Wilson

Mancini/Cisco

Scott

And that's probably still not enough.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For fun, I'll play. It would take:

Schoop

Bundy/Gausman (pick 1)

Givens

Wright/Wilson

Mancini/Cisco

Scott

And that's probably still not enough.

That would be more than enough, but there's no way I give them Schoop.

You all aren't going to like this, but simply put it's near impossible for the Orioles to acquire Sale. They're going to want 3 or 4 pieces with very high ceilings and 1 of those pieces to have a near superstar ceiling. They're not going to be interested in guys who may end up as back of the rotation starters or at best average mlb guys. Packages from other teams would look something like this

Cubs: Schwarber,Soler,Eloy,Happ

LAD:Urias,Bellinger,Holmes,Calhoun,Cotton

TEX:Profar,Gallo,Brinson,Ortiz

The Orioles would have to offer Schoop,Gausman,Bundy and Mancini and I'm sure none of you are interested in doing that.

You all aren't going to like this, but simply put it's near impossible for the Orioles to acquire Sale. They're going to want 3 or 4 pieces with very high ceilings and 1 of those pieces to have a near superstar ceiling. They're not going to be interested in guys who may end up as back of the rotation starters or at best average mlb guys. Packages from other teams would look something like this

Cubs: Schwarber,Soler,Eloy,Happ

LAD:Urias,Bellinger,Holmes,Calhoun,Cotton

TEX:Profar,Gallo,Brinson,Ortiz

The Orioles would have to offer Schoop,Gausman,Bundy and Mancini and I'm sure none of you are interested in doing that.

You mean just like the other 3 clubs would be interested in trading those players for Sale? Profar and Gallo? Texas hangs up the phone.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I would trade something like Davis + 2 or 3 top prospects + a stud bullpen arm like Brach or a long man like Worley for Sale. If the Sox want more than that, they can keep him.

Trading either Gausman or Bundy to get another starter is like cutting off and selling your healthy right arm so you can buy a prosthetic left arm. What the heck is the point of that?!!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus the whole cutting up his uniform thing

Not really wanting him. Imagine cutting up his uniform? He's a head case. Just

imagine how O's fans would feel if one of their stars cut up his uniform. We'd all

want that jerk off the team. IMO

You mean just like the other 3 clubs would be interested in trading those players for Sale? Profar and Gallo? Texas hangs up the phone.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Texas offered Profar and Gallo, the WSox wanted Brinson too. That's where that trade died.

Does this count milb'ers on the DL. Fenter and Harvey would be fine building blocks for our new system. Imagine how fun the milb rule 5 draft portion would be.

Everybody - DL or no - if you aren't on the big club right now - you're headed to the White Sox.

Now, without derailing this perfectly valid Sale thread with my foolishness - as a thought excercise I don't think this would be as harmful to a franchise such as ours as you might think. We don't have a lot of premium prospects we'd be losing out on. We'd have to spend this offseason signing a mammoth number of minor league and international free agents - but the decent ones would likely want to come here knowing they would be at AA or AAA and always an injury away from the Big Leagues. You'd have to troll the waiver wire relentlessly to resotck the upper minors - but Dan loves doing that anyway. I don't think your upper minors would be that much worse than they already are at the end of the day. You'd have no real prospects at AA or AAA - but you could bring in a bunch of longtime Quad A types who know they are first call at their position if someone goes down and there's no prospects behind them to pass them by. If the big club ran into injuries - you'd have no future regular/prospect types to call - but you might actually have better "replacement level" Quad A types to fill in for short spurts with the big club than you might otherwise. The lower minors would be a catastrophe - barren of any prospects - but you'd start to restock them over the next couple drafts and with anyone young international players you could sign. As a wild "win now" strategy - I'm kind of talking myself into it not being lunacy. We don't have the package of prospects to get a guy like Sale without doing something radical, and we don't really want to open holes on the big club by dealing regulars. It would break the baseball internet - and there's likely a thousand things I'm not thinking of that would make untenable - not the least of which is how the affiliates would finish out this season - mass signing of Indy league and semi-pro guys I guess - but I'm not prepared to rule this out.

I would only trade Bundy not Gausman and I'd include Givens or Brach from the 25, but not School. They can have their pick of 3-4 MiL prospectus should be plenty.

This is not even close to what it takes to acquire a legitimate ace with a favorable contract. As I said in the other thread, you're offering less for Sale than what the Red Sox offered for Pomeranz.

Archived