Need to make a decision with Ubaldo

eddie83

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jimenez probably won't get dealt this weekend, but there is always the August 31 waiver deadline.

A few good more good starts over the next month and maybe we can find a way to move him.

I think Miley has taken Jiminez's spot in the rotation. Jiminez would definitely make it through waivers the only problem is someone has to want to trade for hiim.

I think Miley has taken Jiminez's spot in the rotation. Jiminez would definitely make it through waivers the only problem is someone has to want to trade for hiim.

Good point. I doubt they DFA him today, and I'd be shocked (and giddy) if someone took him off of our hands via a waiver claim, lol. My bet is they pass him through waivers later this week and then DFA him when nobody expresses interest. I don't think he makes it until 9/1 and expanded rosters.

Jimenez is not in the rotation. He just had a spot start to line up our top 3 to face TOR. Miley will be taking either Worley's or Bundy's spots.

At this point the only logic in keeping him is that they hope someone will take only a little salary, maybe 1-2 M at the most and/or just be an option but so are Wilson and Wright.

Hard for me to fathom a scenario where he is in the rotation next year, they can't start him in the pen, he gains no value there. They have tried to work with him and I wish him all the best but I think it is time for him to go. Fresh start elsewhere.

Just got back from my 2-week vacation. I saw that Ubaldo and his wife had a bouncing baby. Then he got a start and he did quite well -- giving up 1 run over 5 innings. Not sure why Buck took him out, but perhaps he was weakening. I didn't get to see the game.

I also see that Ubaldo is still with our team. I feel quite sorry for all the fans who want him gone. He's still here to haunt you. If the team keeps him, then they should use him. I gather that it will be in long relief rather than in the rotation. Ubaldo once said that this would be fine with him. But they do need to pitch him.

I'll be a Wednesday's game and I'll watch all of the bullpenners go out to the pen -- including Ubaldo.

Still the Grand Poohbah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

Just got back from my 2-week vacation. I saw that Ubaldo and his wife had a bouncing baby. Then he got a start and he did quite well -- giving up 1 run over 5 innings. Not sure why Buck took him out, but perhaps he was weakening. I didn't get to see the game.

I also see that Ubaldo is still with our team. I feel quite sorry for all the fans who want him gone. He's still here to haunt you. If the team keeps him, then they should use him. I gather that it will be in long relief rather than in the rotation. Ubaldo once said that this would be fine with him. But they do need to pitch him.

I'll be a Wednesday's game and I'll watch all of the bullpenners go out to the pen -- including Ubaldo.

Still the Grand Poohbah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club :smile11::clap:

Glad to see there is another one out there. Ubaldo is by far my wife's favorite player. Yes sometimes, we have to leave the room when he's pitching but he's a quality individual who really wants to do well.

My father in law has a theory that having a baby makes all baseball players better. Ubaldo sure proved that.

But to answer your question, Buck took him out as it was a typical Ubaldo start - lots of pitches. He worked himself out of some jams early (extra base hit in each of the first three innings) but really seemed to settle down. You can listen to his post-game interview here but he said he felt great and had command of all of his pitches:

The stats back that up as he threw 104 pitches but had a higher percentage of strikes than normal (64%). Now of course, he's benched. Worley pitches well - doesn't get another shot. Not it's true for Ubaldo.

In my mind, in some ways, Ubaldo is the anti-Gausman in the sense of sometimes it's amazing he didn't give up more runs considering how many guys he gets on. With Gausmann, it's amazing that he gives up as many runs and loses as many games as he does.

There is only a month until rosters expand so I doubt they cut him, that being said they can't let him handcuff them either. If he is in the pen he needs to pitch. Right now we have an 8 man pen and he is a big reason why. I am already frustrated at the lack of a lefty in the pen but they can't afford to have him rot in the pen and waste a spot until September either. It would be a shame to only have a 3 man bench just to carry Ubaldo for the next month.

Didn't Mr. Angelos make that decision?

Archived