Need to make a decision with Ubaldo

eddie83

I was thinking about this subject when Gary Thorne brought it up during Saturday's TV broadcast. He said that the rotation is set and doing pretty well.

So.... I thought about it a bit further. For whatever reasons, O's management doesn't want to DFA him. Too bad, he isn't a whiney prima donna jerk; he just sits there, uncomplaining, being pleasant. I'm sure that he does bullpen sessions on the side with Ramon M. or Dom Chiti. So instead of letting him rot on the bullpen bench during games: every time that a starter doesn't make it out of the 5th, put Ubaldo in. If he gives up more than 2 hits or walks, then yank him and put in Worley or whoever. But... if he does well, then leave him in. If he continues to do well, let him keep pitching until the 7th or 8th inning, when our set up men and closer come in. At least we'd get some value for him.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking about this subject when Gary Thorne brought it up during Saturday's TV broadcast. He said that the rotation is set and doing pretty well.

So.... I thought about it a bit further. For whatever reasons, O's management doesn't want to DFA him. Too bad, he isn't a whiney prima donna jerk; he just sits there, uncomplaining, being pleasant. I'm sure that he does bullpen sessions on the side with Ramon M. or Dom Chiti. So instead of letting him rot on the bullpen bench during games: every time that a starter doesn't make it out of the 5th, put Ubaldo in. If he gives up more than 2 hits or walks, then yank him and put in Worley or whoever. But... if he does well, then leave him in. If he continues to do well, let him keep pitching until the 7th or 8th inning, when our set up men and closer come in. At least we'd get some value for him.

So, you want to relegate Worley's roll even further?

That seems to be what Duquette wants, but Buck refuses to pitch him in any sort of leverage situation. Apparently we need to be down 10+ runs for Ubaldo to pitch.

That seems to be what Duquette wants, but Buck refuses to pitch him in any sort of leverage situation. Apparently we need to be down 10+ runs for Ubaldo to pitch.
Apparently there is a disagreement between Buck and Duquette. Duquette wants to somehow take measures to salvage Ubaldo, but Buck wants him gone. So DD won't DFA him (if nothing else, to give him a chance with a different team). And Buck refuses to use him. Ubaldo is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Apparently there is a disagreement between Buck and Duquette. Duquette wants to somehow take measures to salvage Ubaldo, but Buck wants him gone. So DD won't DFA him (if nothing else, to give him a chance with a different team). And Buck refuses to use him. Ubaldo is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

He could accept a minor league assignment. Seems like that would be the best option for everyone.

I doubt this is the case. I think Dan can't DFA him because ownership wont eat the money.

I think the goal is to make it to the expanded rosters then try and rebuild his delivery, again, during the offseason.

I think that if he has a bad spring they will DFA him.

Not that I don't agree that may be the direction. My question is why? Best case scenario, he's their sixth starter. I can't see him unseating any of the current five.

They have Wilson, Wright, and Worley.

I know there really aren't many alternatives, I just don't see him bouncing back. Maybe LAA will take him.

Not that I don't agree that may be the direction. My question is why? Best case scenario, he's their sixth starter. I can't see him unseating any of the current five.

They have Wilson, Wright, and Worley.

I know there really aren't many alternatives, I just don't see him bouncing back. Maybe LAA will take him.

He can be the #5 starter when the season opens while Gausman is on the DL with shoulder tendinitis.

That's it basically, I'd want to go into ST with at least six starters.

I'd prefer if Ubaldo wasn't one of them but we are not talking about me.

They have come this far, if they can't dump his contract during the offseason it will be do or die in ST.

I don't think they go North with him if he looks done.

I think the goal is to make it to the expanded rosters then try and rebuild his delivery, again, during the offseason.

I think that if he has a bad spring they will DFA him.

But why not stash him in the minors? That has to be better for Ubaldo and the O's than sitting on the bench totally unused for two months.

He can be the #5 starter when the season opens while Gausman is on the DL with shoulder tendinitis.

That's it basically, I'd want to go into ST with at least six starters.

I'd prefer if Ubaldo wasn't one of them but we are not talking about me.

They have come this far, if they can't dump his contract during the offseason it will be do or die in ST.

I don't think they go North with him if he looks done.

He needs to be in Sarasota in instructional work all winter or DFA right now. He needs to agree to follow whatever the pitching coaches do with his stupid mechanics or DFA right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He needs to be in Sarasota in instructional work all winter or DFA right now. He needs to agree to follow whatever the pitching coaches do with his stupid mechanics or DFA right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the union say those are his work rules? Does Mr. Angelos agree to his release with full pay?

Archived