Should we trade Britton?

isestrex

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The time to trade Britton was during the last offseason IMO. It wasn't done then, possibly it wasn't even considered then. I doubt it has been considered since. The team has been constructed to make a playoff run this season and next. No one in a decision making capacity with the Orioles has given the slightest indication that trading Britton is an option. Every indication is that right now prospects are for spending, not acquiring.

He's having an even better season this year, than last. We could definitely get a kings ransom this upcoming offseason. I wouldn't move him now.

The time to trade Britton was during the last offseason IMO. It wasn't done then, possibly it wasn't even considered then. I doubt it has been considered since. The team has been constructed to make a playoff run this season and next. No one in a decision making capacity with the Orioles has given the slightest indication that trading Britton is an option. Every indication is that right now prospects are for spending, not acquiring.

Some were advocating that the Orioles trade Britton last offseason, but I argued that they should wait until this offseason. What they should have done is to have traded Davis and Chen as rentals to get some meaty prospects that might be almost ready to fill some holes or at least could give them something to flip for established players (something they could use right now). I didn't see any hurry in dealing Britton because he still has plenty of team control. And his value will be higher this offseason than last after what he's done this year.

It would be crazy to trade him right now. It would be throwing in the towel (something the Orioles should have done last year, but not this). He's too important to this team to lose him with two months to go in the pennant race. Besides, the clubs that have the sort of prospects the Cubs gave up who are looking that hard for a closer have already made their moves. During the offseason, when everyone is a contender, the market will be more open and flexible (although I'm not necessarily advocating that the O's deal him even then).

Crazy idea. We kinda need Britton right now as we're competing.

But the closer trade market is bonkers right now as Chapman gets the 26th overall prospect (plus change) and Melancon gets the 49th overall prospect. You have to think Britton will net a package between the two. With the Orioles having 0 players in the top 100, it's at least tempting to take advantage of this market.

No. But he would definitely net more than either of them. He is better than they are and he is not a free agent.

Of course they should consider trading Britton. Will it happen? Absolutely not. They have an 87-year-old owner and a GM who has shown no inclination of building for the future because he knows he won't return to the team when his contract expires after the 2018 season. Britton will either resign with the team or be an Oriole until he hits free agency.

There are some crazy good prospect values being offered for relievers these days and it would be nice to cash in Britton. Pittsburgh is not out of the race and they just dealt their reliever.

Our GM has shown more a willingness for an "all hands on deck", "we are going to win the WS or burn the whole thing down while trying" attitude. This would have been a good year to try to unload Tillman, Britton, Wieters, Jones, Trumbo and others and starting building around Machado, Schoop, Gausman, Bundy and others while keeping our draft picks and blowing out spending internationally. We could have entered next season with the best talent in baseball below high A and been set to compete before PA turns 90 with a significantly better prospect base.

I hope the ship gets turned out this season and quickly, but it is difficult to rally behind a sub-par pitching staff, though we have managed to make it this far already.

I think we should keep this core in tact and see if we can make the playoffs this season. In the offseason you explore a mix of reloading and/or reshuffling. I think we have some bullpen depth and could look to trade some of those arms to help retool the farm, including Britton obviously. I'd like to think we could explore trading Schoop as well, but we will be losing Trumbo, Wieters and Alvarez offensively..

Archived