Are you in favor of the Miley trade?

Frobby

Are you in favor of the Miley trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the Miley trade?

• Yes. He's an upgrade and the cost is reasonable
    • Yes. Not sure if he's an upgrade, but he gives us flexibility.
    • No. He's not an upgrade.
    • No. Even if he's a slight upgrade, Miranda was too much to give up
    • No. Even if he's a slight upgrade, his contract is too expensive compared to his value.

So you stand pat, and don't upgrade?

they got to pull the trigger and do it, IMO

I guess I would be more in favor of giving up more to get a Matt Moore or Rich Hill, or standing pat, yes. Seems like another example where DD is trying to have it both ways and getting neither.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not saying the money is expensive relative to the market. I am just not crazy about having our entire rotation locked in with guys who are out of options and getting paid market dollars. Even if they are performing OK, the more we depend on mediocre guys getting market dollars, the less flexibility we have to improve the team. We raise the floor but lower the ceiling.

I don't quite understand your point. Are you saying that once the team has an expensive bad contract on the books, they should stop trying to improve the team? Hard to see any reason to complain about this trade. How much is owed to Ubaldo and Gallardo is irrelevant when discussing the merits of this deal. To pretend that there was any measurable possibility of finding a SP comparable to Miley for less money just doesn't make sense. I think that some of us may be letting a negative opinion of our general manager cloud their ability to realistically assess the pluses and minuses of transactions.

Things I like about Miley.

Recent performance is an upgrade, even if his career numbers are about a wash. And we need performance right now more anything else.

At 29 years old he is in his prime. He could easily have a career year and make his average contract look like a bargain.

Durable.

Ground ball rate would do him well with Oriole's defense.

Miranda was expendable. Not a bad piece to lose.

Things I like about Miley.

Recent performance is an upgrade, even if his career numbers are about a wash. And we need performance right now more anything else.

At 29 years old he is in his prime. He could easily have a career year and make his average contract look like a bargain.

Durable.

Ground ball rate would do him well with Oriole's defense.

Miranda was expendable. Not a bad piece to lose.

I think he is a major league version of Miranda if you think about it.

I guess I would be more in favor of giving up more to get a Matt Moore or Rich Hill, or standing pat, yes. Seems like another example where DD is trying to have it both ways and getting neither.

TB would want a bundle to deal Moore within the division, and I don't think they were ever in the Rich Hill market. IMO, in spite of the talk.

Whenever someone cherry picks numbers like that it makes me want to look up what he did the two or three starts before that. 9 ER, 5 ER, 4 ER.

I agree that Miley is probably better than anyone we have, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson, Worley, or even Miranda outperform him.

My bigger issue is committing the $9M and roster spot next year.

Yeah, having a left handed starting pitcher who can eat innings at $9 million next year will be such an albatross.:rolleyestf:

You are hater that's going to hate anything Duquette does. That's probably why most people just skim over your posts for hyperbole and to see what the haters will say about this move.

This is really what it boils down to IMO.

The Orioles were able to get a veteran left handed starter who can eat up some innings and who has been effective very recently.

Further, as you state, the price tag to acquire him is pretty minimal.

I can't see the downside of this deal either.

Only haters don't like this move. I mean, you can be lukewarm on it I guess, but when your GM gets you a legitimate left-handed starting pitcher for a guy not even in your team's top 20 prospects, I can't for the life of me see how someone doesn't like this move.

No one cares how Miley pitched early this year at this point, it matters how he's pitching right now. Miley is going to help this team in need of some starting pitching.

Only haters don't like this move. I mean, you can be lukewarm on it I guess, but when your GM gets you a legitimate left-handed starting pitcher for guy not even in your team's top 20 prospects, I can't for the life of me see how you don't like this move.

No one cares how Miley pitched early this year at this point, it matters how he's pitching right now. Miley is going to help this team in need of some starting pitching.

This coming from the same man who absolutely blasted lst year's deadline deal.

I think he is a major league version of Miranda if you think about it.

This is pretty laughable. Miranda is 27-years old and has pitched two innings in the major leagues and has pitched to a 3.80 ERA in 170.2 minor league innings. At 27 years old, Miley had put up 3.79 ERA in 638.2 major league innings.

Want to know what AAA batters were slashing off Miranda with runners on base? .313/.354/.460/.814. In 9 starts away from friendly Norfolk, batter have slashed .274/.337/.435/ .771. Wonder how that will look starting against the Blue Jays and Red Sox lineups?

This coming from the same man who absolutely blasted lst year's deadline deal.

I call them as I see them. I hated, and I mean hated that deadline deal last year, but this is different. The Orioles needed a starter, preferred a left-hander, got one who has been pitching pretty well of late all for a spare part. Even if Miley struggles for some reason, the trade has sound reasoning behind it.

I don't quite understand your point. Are you saying that once the team has an expensive bad contract on the books, they should stop trying to improve the team? Hard to see any reason to complain about this trade. How much is owed to Ubaldo and Gallardo is irrelevant when discussing the merits of this deal. To pretend that there was any measurable possibility of finding a SP comparable to Miley for less money just doesn't make sense. I think that some of us may be letting a negative opinion of our general manager cloud their ability to realistically assess the pluses and minuses of transactions.

I am just saying that when the O's get these type of pitchers, it constrains what the team can do later in terms of either acquiring elite talent or using open spots to develop organizational guys. I am not pretending anything about the alternatives. Like I said, I would be OK with standing pat. Worley seems to be doing fine as our #5, so a LHP bullpen guy would be fine. I would be fine with Miley if I knew that the team wouldn't hesitate to cut him loose if he doesn't perform, but we have seen it with Ubaldo, Bud, etc., that the team will give a player with significant dollars every chance to fail.

Only haters don't like this move. I mean, you can be lukewarm on it I guess, but when your GM gets you a legitimate left-handed starting pitcher for a guy not even in your team's top 20 prospects, I can't for the life of me see how someone doesn't like this move.

I thought it was board policy not to argue against "groups" of people. Anyway, I am not a DD hater. I admit, it took me a couple of posts, but I liked the Trumbo deal. I liked the Feldman, Norris, and Miller deals. (I was against the Parra deal). I like to think my take is generally balanced, but critical (not in the sense of negative, but reflective, analytical, etc).

Again, my no vote had nothing to do with giving up Miranda, it's committing to another year of a mediocre SP when the rotation is already full of them. I don't hate this deal, lukewarm is about right.

We gave up a single minor leaguer who isn't really a prospect in exchange for the left handed Worley. That sounds like faint praise but I'm giving the move a big thumbs up.

I agree with this. I'll even go further and say he is Joe Saunders version 2; a mediocre left-handed starter that is pitching well at the time. I think he will help us a lot.

I really like that we only gave up Miranda. I was worried we'd give up multiple guys in our top 20 list based on previous DD trades. We didn't even give up a single one of our top 20 prospects.

The fact that we have committed a lot of money to Ubaldo, Gallardo and now Miley for next season is slightly concerning, but the prices of starting pitching has been skyrocketing and they are all essentially 1 year deals next year.

I call them as I see them. I hated, and I mean hated that deadline deal last year, but this is different. The Orioles needed a starter, preferred a left-hander, got one who has been pitching pretty well of late all for a spare part. Even if Miley struggles for some reason, the trade has sound reasoning behind it.

I see this as similar to picking up Norris, without the cost.

Norris was better than expected, especially in 2014, and was a key member of that team.

Miley might be able to step in and perform decent, nobody is expecting Kershaw production, should be a step up from Ubaldo, good to see a LH SP back in the rotation.

Archived