vs. ATHLETICS, 8/10

OFFNY

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I had the inclination, I'm sure I could find plenty of people complaining in game threads about Dickerson being too conservative and not sending runners. Hindsight is 20/20.

Dickerson has the nickname as Windmill for a reason. He's not conservative. He's overly aggressive.

Yeah Adam slid bad or he is safe. That is on Adam not Dickerson.

Maybe I'm old school, but slides at the plate, especially when you have a lane to the plate (being home you're allowed to slide past the plate not stay on it) should have the left foot dragging across the plate, not heels pointed to the ground and coming straight in. It's been about 16 years since I've executed one, but it's the way to evade the tag and still get the plate. Some guys even use their hand (like Hardy in the '14 winning hit by Delmon vs. Tigers).

1st and 3rd and no outs with your supposed "best hitter" coming up sounds pretty good to me. But instead let's press the issue, get an out and only have a runner at 2nd with 1 out.

I'm sorry, it's just Dickerson being way too aggressive. How is this guy still employed?

This has been the story with Dickerson all year. WAYYYYYY too aggressive. The guy is a disaster.

I think someone discussed BD's send / safe ratio a couple weeks ago on here and it was shown that he was above league average. I also remember someone making the point that if that ratio is too high, that means that the 3B coach doesn't send enough and is only sending when its a no doubter. Maybe someone on here remembers it better than me...

I think the major problem with the Jones play was there were no outs so it would have been a better idea to go halfway to third and wait and see and not bother tagging. In my opinion....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I am generally opposed to a knee jerk reaction that the 3B coach is automatically "wrong" if a guy is thrown out at home.

Imagine a hypothetical 3B coach who never had a guy thrown out at the plate. That means he clearly isn't sending guys who have a 70 or 80% chance of making it, because if he was he'd have at least one in 5 thrown out.

But you SHOULD send guys with an 80% chance. Because they don't have an 80% chance of scoring if you hold them.

So when I see a super close play that has to go to review, AND one that would have been safe if Adam could have managed to keep his front foot down... I am not going to throw a lot of shade on the 3rd base coach.

Also, I am generally opposed to a knee jerk reaction that the 3B coach is automatically "wrong" if a guy is thrown out at home.

Imagine a hypothetical 3B coach who never had a guy thrown out at the plate. That means he clearly isn't sending guys who have a 70 or 80% chance of making it, because if he was he'd have at least one in 5 thrown out.

But you SHOULD send guys with an 80% chance. Because they don't have an 80% chance of scoring if you hold them.

So when I see a super close play that has to go to review, AND one that would have been safe if Adam could have managed to keep his front foot down... I am not going to throw a lot of shade on the 3rd base coach.

Jones had a terrible jump at 2nd. It's not like he was in full stride. He was going back to the damn bag. That's what makes it inexcusable.

Archived