Joseph Optioned

Can_of_corn

I can see the reasoning. Anything to boost the offense. Joseph gets a chance to play consistently and get his bat going. Hard to believe that his bat fell off this year.

I really think we did a number to him having him be Ubaldo's personal catcher. Then not playing a lot. Then the terrible injury. Talk about a year to forget.

For the option gurus, does this count as an option since he will only be down there for 10 days? Having an option left for next year could be huge.

He's lucky something else didn't fall off.

I wonder if the injury had an effect on his testosterone level or hormonal balance.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to play devils advocate, but catcher positions for 2017 is a concern.

Sisco is most likely not going to be ready for the big leagues, at least not full time. IMO

They have said they will not QO Wieters this time, and I doubt they work with Boras to for a new contract.

I dont want to beat up Caleb for his season, but he has been off behind the plate, too, not just at the plate.

Could this is be a fluke, sure, most likely it is.

But, if his career has flamed out, then unless they do some wheelin and dealin, then Pena and company is what this team will have behind the plate.

I hate to play devils advocate, but catcher positions for 2017 is a concern.

Sisco is most likely not going to be ready for the big leagues, at least not full time. IMO

They have said they will not QO Wieters this time, and I doubt they work with Boras to for a new contract.

I dont want to beat up Caleb for his season, but he has been off behind the plate, too, not just at the plate.

Could this is be a fluke, sure, most likely it is.

But, if his career has flamed out, then unless they do some wheelin and dealin, then Pena and company is what this team will have behind the plate.

Finally a starting role for Flash Ryan?

That's a little too McCheesy--I'm sure the clubhouse is 100% behind Joseph after the great work he did for the O's in 2014-15 and his humble and generous personality.

I am sure they are but we never know what happens behinds closed doors, this was just my guess. FYI I am a Pena fan though so I am happy to see him back up here.

That does make some sense. Missing 10 games in the playoff chase has to be tough to swallow.

The teams goal is to win games not to make a non performer happy. Caleb is 30 years old and never hit at triple A. Time to move on.

The teams goal is to win games not to make a non performer happy. Caleb is 30 years old and never hit at triple A. Time to move on.

No, but at least he hit a bit in the lowly American League of professional baseball: 20 homers and 77 RBIs in 566 at-bats during 2014-15, with high marks for his handling of a mediocre or worse pitching staff.

No, but at least he hit a bit in the lowly American League of professional baseball: 20 homers and 77 RBIs in 566 at-bats during 2014-15, with high marks for his handling of a mediocre or worse pitching staff.

But his handling of the staff wasn't as good this season, not sure what's up with him.

He barely ever played at AAA. He did have a few nice seasons at AA.

And as LA2 mentioned, put up a few surprisingly nice seasons in the majors.

I think he's a decent player who had a bad year, partially due to injuries. It happens. I suspect he'll have a fair number of ABs next year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> option C Caleb Joseph to Norfolk and reinstate C Matt Wieters from paternity list.</p>? Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="
">August 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who is the backup then?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> option C Caleb Joseph to Norfolk and reinstate C Matt Wieters from paternity list.</p>? Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="
">August 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who is the backup then?

Archived