Will the fans show?

Todd-O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I knew many Orioles fans who don't want to pay extra to sit next to a stadium of half Yankee fans.

The crowd tonight should be alot more but I think many more Yankee fans.8,000 more?.

I didn't want to go when we were bad when we played them. I would go now depending on price. Their fans don't come as much as they once did.

But I think some of it was self inflicted. Try some new marketing strategies. Season tickets out earlier. Sell tickets at fanfest.4 packs and other packs.Promote the team during the offseason. Ticket discounts and lower tickets during April and May.Other teams raise prices after that time. Try something new.Marketing 101...

Even having Fanfest in December was a horrible idea. People are busy with Christmas. And the World Series ended just 6 or 7 weeks ago, there hasn't been brutal cold and snow yet, no one but the most dedicated fans are jonesing for baseball yet. The offseason acquisitions aren't complete so you can't get excited for the new guys.

Its not a small thing. Fanfest probably helps generate enthusiasm and season ticket sales among the fan base, gets people thinking about the next season. Normally, season ticket renewals are out at fanfest and sometimes individual game tickets can be ordered.

None of that was the case last year.

I think this makes it pretty clear that the relationship between payroll and ticket prices is tenuous and indirect at best.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/03/mlb-ballparks-tickets/

It certainly makes it clear that it is possible to have lower ticket prices and have a higher payroll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Ticket prices are governed by the same forces that determine the price of anything else: supply and demand. Owners love to make the public think that increases in ticket prices are a necessary measure to cover increases in payroll, that way we direct our anger towards, say, Chris Davis rather than Peter Angelos. But we're not paying more to cover Davis's salary. We're paying more because the Orioles thought we would be so thrilled with the Davis contract that there would be a surge in demand. There wasn't. Time to re-evaluate the business plan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This. Ticket prices are governed by the same forces that determine the price of anything else: supply and demand. Owners love to make the public think that increases in ticket prices are a necessary measure to cover increases in payroll, that way we direct our anger towards, say, Chris Davis rather than Peter Angelos. But we're not paying more to cover Davis's salary. We're paying more because the Orioles thought we would be so thrilled with the Davis contract that there would be a surge in demand. There wasn't. Time to re-evaluate the business plan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think we agree. I think the Orioles will spend less and still try to be profitable and field a competitive team.

I think we agree. I think the Orioles will spend less and still try to be profitable and field a competitive team.

I think they can be profitable without having to spend less. I think they should focus on maximizing revenue before cutting expenses. Cutting payroll seems likely to be shortsighted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived