Will the fans show?

Todd-O

I personally am upset thaqt the fans are not supporting this pennant race. As I know what it means for the Orioles future. Casting stones anywhere won't fix that. No one has to agree with me. This is my own personal tirade. It makes me very sad. Like the stupid fan protests did.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had you heard the front office mention this? If so, I'd like a link. I'll jump on your bandwagon if you can show me this. The only folks I heard talk about it were the players. Oh, and the press. You really know very little about me.

Really the front office is not talking about attendance or concerned with it? If not they must be making boatloads from MASN.

Quite honestly, those are a bunch of sad excuses. I hear the "bad weather this spring" excuse every year. We are in a tight pennant race and we can't get 30,000 fans to come on the second to last home weekend of the year? That's just pathetic. People get to make their own decisions about whether to attend baseball games for whatever reasons they want, but if you can't draw a near-sellout on a weekend in the heat of a pennant race, your city just isn't much of a baseball town IMO.

Nah the weather thing was real. Seriously it rained for something like 17 straight days in Baltimore this past May, it seemed like every game from the end of April through the middle of May was being played under the threat of rain.

Like there is bad weather, but then there was the awful May we had.

And the reason things are down? It's the county locals perceptions of the city. Plain and simple. As much as I don't want to believe that it really is a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the reason things are down? It's the county locals perceptions of the city. Plain and simple. As much as I don't want to believe that it really is a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt about this. Last August my fiancee and I moved into a house in Hampden, basically on the verge of being in Roland Park. It was like pulling teeth to get some of my fiancee's suburban family to come to our housewarming. In the middle of the day. In. Roland. Park. The fear is real, and it's insane.

I've never lived in or near Baltimore, and few Oriole fans understand the factors that underlie the team's attendance less than I do.

But I'm surprised how little mention has been made of what I think -- perhaps incorrectly -- has been an important factor in the team's disappointing attendance. First, I understand there is a continuing decline in attendance of fans who live or work in D.C. and its suburbs, fueled by the Nats' success and the maturation of their fan base. Second, I understand that the DC portion of Oriole ticket buyers historically consisted of individuals and companies (law firms, lobbyists, consultants, etc.) that bought proportionally more season tickets, spent on average more per ticket and would be likely to be less resistant to increases in ticket prices.

If those things are both right, the decline in DC-based attendance, coupled with ticket price increases, has had a disproportionately large effect on season ticket sales and has magnified the loss of attendance created by the price increases.

Baltimore as a stand-alone television market (that is, without DC) is among the smallest in MLB. Only San Diego, KC, Cincy and Milwaukee are smaller. (Those teams all can pull in fans from their regions who live outside their TV markets.) Of that group, only SD competes in a division with multiple big-market teams.

Archived