Will the fans show?

Todd-O

I now firmly believe that Baltimore just isn't a baseball city anymore.

There was much more September support in 2012 and 2014 compared to now. That's the part I don't get. I'm sure the riots, ticket price increases, variable ticket pricing and lack of promotions all played a role. But I'm still surprised that the fans aren't supporting the team at the most critical time of year when they are in the thick of things.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I now firmly believe that Baltimore just isn't a baseball city anymore.

I'd be interested to see the TV numbers.

To me, being an orioles fan is about watching them play. Going to the park has more to do with the weather and my schedule and when my friends are going.

There was much more September support in 2012 and 2014 compared to now. That's the part I don't get. I'm sure the riots, ticket price increases, variable ticket pricing and lack of promotions all played a role. But I'm still surprised that the fans aren't supporting the team at the most critical time of year when they are in the thick of things.

The Red Sox fans (obnoxious) sitting all around us last night just couldn't believe the lack of attendance......neither could we.

They ran ticket deals in 2012 to sell seats. 1992 prices for bleachers and LF lower box.

As I said in another thread where is the promotion from the team itself?

Actually the Red Sox have been spending some time in the cellar recently. The Yankees would be a better example.

The Sox have been up and down, same as the Yanks. Look at Weems post, he says 10 years of losing is required to have a top 10 farm. That is obviously hyperbole.

Winning was new and exciting in 2012, the team peaked in 2014 going to the playoffs with Manny injured and CD suspended.

Now we are treading water. No one expects this team to win a playoff series even if they hang on to make the wildcard game.

DD increased the payroll, and Angelos increased the ticket prices but the talent is no better than 2014. If you're not moving forward you are losing ground

I flew up from Florida for the weekend and saw the Orioles win Friday night in dramatic fashion then back Saturday night for a blah game. And then a great game at Fedex Dump on Sunday to see Dak get his first win. There were Cowboy fans everywhere. Prob more so than any other Cowboys game Ive attended there. Why was that?

The Sox have been up and down, same as the Yanks. Look at Weems post, he says 10 years of losing is required to have a top 10 farm. That is obviously hyperbole.

Huh?

Yanks haven't finished under .500 since 1995. They haven't finished last in their division since '91.

The Red Sox have finished last three times in the last five years. Two of those three teams had more than 90 losses.

As for Weams' comment, I can't speak for him but he might mean that is what it would take for Baltimore to get there. After all it's easier when you spend on the international market.

The last five years, rank in attendance/game:

2012 - 20th

2013 - 18th

2014 - 14th

2015 - 18th

2016 - 20th

Remember that 2015 was directly affected by the riots -- one game played before 0 people, three moved to Tampa, and a single-admission doubleheader with the White Sox to make up the other two games that were canceled. I'm not talking about people being reluctant to go to games, I'm talking about games played in conditions where people could not attend.

Archived