The "What's Going on in this Baseball Picture" Thread

DrungoHazewood

1960: Bobby Thompson being congratulated after hitting a HR @ Baltimore on May 29th?

Complicating factor is that it appears that the Red Sox' road uniforms were essentially unchanged from the dawn of time through 1971.

Tony Conigliaro wore #25 from 1964-75. Most everyone prior to that was kind of anonymous and only had it for a year or two. Thompson was a Red Sock just that one partial season before being traded to the O's for six PAs and then retirement.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Complicating factor is that it appears that the Red Sox' road uniforms were essentially unchanged from the dawn of time through 1971.

Well I have some good news for you then! It's doubtful that it takes place before 1954. So that should take out quite a few years. ;)

1960: Bobby Thompson being congratulated after hitting a HR @ Baltimore on May 29th?

They seem awfully happy about a 6th inning solo shot that made the score 2-1 O's, on a team that was 12-19 and in 7th place at the time. Not that I'm putting forth a better suggestion...

Whether or not that's the photo, that was Bobby Thompson's 2nd-to-last career homer. I wonder if anyone remembers why he stopped playing/retired/quit three games into his Oriole career? His season OPS was .725, not like he was playing terribly.

o

Pretty good guess.

It was Tony Conigliaro, after hitting a home run on Opening Day in his first game back since being beaned 2 seasons earlier.

The beaning occurred in August of 1967, and this Opening Day game was in April of 1969.

The home run was in the top of the 10th inning, and it gave the Red Sox a 2-run lead.

Frank Robinson tied the game with a 2-run home run of his own in the bottom of the 10th inning before the Red Sox finally won it with a sacrifice fly in the top of the 12th.

Archived