The "What's Going on in this Baseball Picture" Thread

DrungoHazewood

let's see if we can decipher this one:

255px-Rod_Carew_at_Yankee_Stadium.jpg

again, please refrain from looking at the URL (spoilers)

Yankee Stadium II (I can immediately tell by the outfield wall.)

July 4th, 1983.

Dave Righetti striking out Wade Boggs for the final out of the first Yankees no-hitter since Don Larsen's perfect game in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yankee Stadium II (I can immediately tell by the outfield wall.)

July 4th, 1983.

Dave Righetti striking out Wade Boggs for the final out of the first Yankees no-hitter since Don Larsen's perfect game in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series.

I just looked up Wade Boggs' number. My guess is wrong.

It looks like a California Angels uniform (again, at Yankee Stadium II.)

let's see if we can decipher this one:

255px-Rod_Carew_at_Yankee_Stadium.jpg

again, please refrain from looking at the URL (spoilers)

Right off it's Yankee Stadium. Looks like 1980s at first glance. The uniform of the batter makes me think Twins... but, maybe not. I'll have to look at the HOF database. My first gut instinct said "Rod Carew". The scoreboard teams and pitcher numbers should help nail down a date.

I think it's Thursday July 26th, 1979. I went with Angels uniforms, '79 was Carew's first year in California. Carew batting against Ron Guidry (complete game, has to be him). Had to be about an hour into a 2:03 game. It was a 2:00pm first pitch, while Cleveland-Minnesota started at 1:15 Central/2:15pm EDT, and the only time the Indians were losing 2-0 was the bottom of the 2nd. A's-Red Sox started at 2:05 and it was 2-1 from the bottom of the third until the top of the 5th.

I'm going to guess this is the top of the 6th, Carew grounds out three-unassisted to Fred Stanley. 3B is Graig Nettles, LFer is Lou Piniella, catcher is future O's coach Jarry Narron, home plate ump is Jim Evans.

Have you guys seen "Old-Time Baseball Photos" facebook page? Found it while googling for this thread. Pretty neat.

No, I'll have to check it out.

Here's a little easier photo. I'm a sucker for unusual ballparks. Probably can't discern score or inning, but date, place, and background shouldn't be too hard (especially if you look at url, so don't!):

2008-Coliseum-Game.jpg

No, I'll have to check it out.

Here's a little easier photo. I'm a sucker for unusual ballparks. Probably can't discern score or inning, but date, place, and background shouldn't be too hard (especially if you look at url, so don't!):

2008-Coliseum-Game.jpg

That's the Dodgers and Red Sox in an exhibition game at LA Coliseum on March 29, 2008 as part of the Dodgers' celebration of 50 years in LA. Apparently it was 201ft to the left field fence, Andruw Jones basically played 5th infielder for then whole game (as seen in the picture), and it was the largest crowd to ever watch a baseball game.

Archived