Too soon... to think about 2017 roster?

Bradysburns

Regardless of what you think about our playoff hopes here, is it too soon to start looking at next season's OD roster?

I hope not, because someone mentioned Chance Sisco in another thread and I'm wondering how/when/if we're going to get him into the lineup here.

I think he represents the future, and his .400 OBP is darned impressive.

I would love to retain Wieters on a bargain deal. If not, Cisco deserves a shot, IMO. Not a guaranteed spot, but a shot.

If we retain Wieters, does anyone know if Cisco could play right field? I assume he's got at least a solid arm, and some athleticism.

Any other thoughts on how we might improve our lineup or pitching?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regardless of what you think about our playoff hopes here, is it too soon to start looking at next season's OD roster?

I hope not, because someone mentioned Chance Sisco in another thread and I'm wondering how/when/if we're going to get him into the lineup here.

I think he represents the future, and his .400 OBP is darned impressive.

I would love to retain Wieters on a bargain deal. If not, Cisco deserves a shot, IMO. Not a guaranteed spot, but a shot.

If we retain Wieters, does anyone know if Cisco could play right field? I assume he's got at least a solid arm, and some athleticism.

Any other thoughts on how we might improve our lineup or pitching?

A full year on Bundy in the rotation.

Mancini as the full time DH and backup to Davis at first base.

Sisco may not start the year in the majors but will come up at some point to catch.

Added pitching depth with Aquino, Lee and Liranzo.

The addition of a new right fielder. Probably young and lefthanded.

Another Rule 5 guy as the 25th man.

Trade Kim for whatever you can get. Buck won't play him and some other team would be happy to use him correctly.

My personal preference would be to work on his defense in the offseason and give him a full spring of reps against RHP and LHP...but I fear you are right and if we could get a decent return on him we should take it. Maybe someone would take Kim along with one of our bad contracts, like Gallardo or Miley, for a B prospect.

Chris Carter has had a better year than Chris Davis for 2.5 million

Trumbo had a better year than both. DD should have stuck with his first plan and gone with Trumbo at 1B and saved a boatload of money. Instead we have 4 1B/DHs and that does not even count Pearce and Mancini, so Buck is forced to put either Kim or Alvarez on the bench.

My personal preference would be to work on his defense in the offseason and give him a full spring of reps against RHP and LHP...but I fear you are right and if we could get a decent return on him we should take it. Maybe someone would take Kim along with one of our bad contracts, like Gallardo or Miley, for a B prospect.

I really don't understand the Kim situation - is his defense that bad? Is it worse than Trumbo's? If we're not going to pencil him in as our left fielder next season, then we indeed have another hole to fill. So right and left field...

Kim's best value would seem to be an everyday player. He doesn't add power, speed or defense off the bench. So what's the point? If you're not going to play him, keeping him probably weakens your overall roster.

So agreed - trade him if he's not going to start, and one of Gallardo or Miley. The rotation should be Tilly, Gaus, Bundy, Ubaldo and one of Miley or Gallardo. I think I'd prefer to keep Miley at this point, believe it or not - mainly because he gives us ONE lefty.

Chris Davis 13th out of 19 qualifying first basemen in OPS

and he hasn't even started to regress with age

absolutely horrific signing

That's tragic. This season is making one wonder whether his "off" year two years ago was more than an anomaly, due to his ADD meds or whatever. Again, he's giving me unpleasant flashbacks to Mark Reynolds... but with the huge albatross contract.

I suppose we're stuck with Davis at first base no matter what happens, which is really tragic because it blocks Mancini, or relegates him to DH. Ech. At least Davis plays a good defense.

Rotation

Tillman

Gausman

Bundy

Ubaldo

Gallardo/Miley/Worley

BP

Gallardo/Miley/Worley

Britton

O'day

Hart

Givens

Brach

Drake

Aquino

Wright

Wilson

Lineup

CF- Jones

1B- Davis

DH- Mancini

2B- Schooop

3B- Machado

LF- Kim

C- Sisco/Wieters (If we keep him for dirt cheap)

RF-?

Bench- Rickard, Alvarez, ?

I think we keep Pearce and throw out Reimold.

Rotation

Tillman

Gausman

Bundy

Ubaldo

Gallardo/Miley/Worley

BP

Gallardo/Miley/Worley

Britton

O'day

Hart

Givens

Brach

Drake

Aquino

Wright

Wilson

Lineup

CF- Jones

1B- Davis

DH- Mancini

2B- Schooop

3B- Machado

LF- Kim

C- Sisco/Wieters (If we keep him for dirt cheap)

RF-?

Bench- Rickard, Alvarez, ?

I think we keep Pearce and throw out Reimold.

I don't think Pearce makes much sense as much as I would love to have him. Mancini needs a chance and the only spot for him is DH. He is going to be the wrong side of the platoon if we have a lefty like Kim or Pedro getting DH ABs. I don't think Pearce is physically capable of playing OF so I don't see a place for him until rosters expand.

I don't think Pearce makes much sense as much as I would love to have him. Mancini needs a chance and the only spot for him is DH. He is going to be the wrong side of the platoon if we have a lefty like Kim or Pedro getting DH ABs. I don't think Pearce is physically capable of playing OF so I don't see a place for him until rosters expand.

I think Kim stays in the OF. If anything, I could see them platooning Mancini and Sisco at DH if he isn't working out at catcher. I don't think handing either of them an OF glove is a good idea. So we keep Kim in LF, and really all we need is a RF. Reddick, Saunders, Cespedes or Fowler would do wonders here.

We need to reconfigure the lineup.

I'm all for working Sisco in as a catcher/platoon DH splitting time with Mancini. Would love Fowler, but I don't see him coming here after that fiasco last offseason. I think Michael Saunders or Josh Reddick would be a great fit for RF. We can sign a stopgap catcher to platoon with Sisco, limit his exposure behind the plate to 100 games or so. I'm also in favor of bringing Pearce back (if healthy), who is another guy who can take a walk and provide some insurance if Mancini struggles.

Your lineup vs. righties:

1. Kim (LF)

2. Sisco ©

3. Machado (3B)

4. Davis (1B)

5. Jones (CF)

6. Saunders or Reddick (RF)

7. Mancini (DH)

8. Schoop (2B)

9. Hardy (SS)

Your lineup vs. lefties:

1. Saunders (reverse splits) or Reddick (RF)

2. Pearce (LF)

3. Machado (3B)

4. Davis (1B)

5. Jones (CF)

6. Mancini/Sisco (DH)

7. Schoop (2B)

8. Hardy (SS)

9. Joseph or another stopgap ©

I think these lineups could potentially score a lot of runs. My 1-4 all of have above average walk rates and we have our hackers (Jones, Schoop) further down in the order where they belong.

Archived