Buck Stuff

ChuckS

Rest assured that if Buck had used Britton and two innings later they lose after taking the lead in the top of the inning, the same cast of characters would have been pissed that Buck wasted Britton in an earlier inning.

This is why I pay little attention to this site during the season. The reactionary stuff is sad.

I am disappointed, but man what a great season(s)

Nonsense I would have not complained. And it isn't just us the press is saying the same thing. Buck is going to be known as the guy who kept the best reliever in baseball in the bench in a tie game in extra innings to use a guy he wanted to DFA a month ago. That is his legacy. He will be used as example of bad managing for years to come.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You think this team is on the verge of a championship or is a championship caliber team. Everyone says "you make the playoffs and anything can happen" but this teams' chances were very, very low. The offense, in the second half, came down to earth with a large thud.

When you don't have all the pieces, it makes it that more important to make the right decisions and use the pieces you have to their best purpose. If we are to be happy with a winning record and a wild card loss, why don't we just call ourselves the Pirates? The offense came down to some degree because Buck insisted on keeping Davis in the 4 slot until late September (by the way when we started to win after the Boston series) and he played Adam Jones out of the leadoff spot even after we traded for a qualified leadoff hitter in Bourn. He constantly sat Kim even though he had the best approach of any of our hitters. He lets our hitters constantly have bad at bats without changing their approaches (Manny swinging at first pitch slider when he should have taken a strike in the 9th last night). Buck has made many mistakes and this team has won in spite of them.

When you don't have all the pieces, it makes it that more important to make the right decisions and use the pieces you have to their best purpose. If we are to be happy with a winning record and a wild card loss, why don't we just call ourselves the Pirates? The offense came down to some degree because Buck insisted on keeping Davis in the 4 slot until late September (by the way when we started to win after the Boston series) and he played Adam Jones out of the leadoff spot even after we traded for a qualified leadoff hitter in Bourn. He constantly sat Kim even though he had the best approach of any of our hitters. He lets our hitters constantly have bad at bats without changing their approaches (Manny swinging at first pitch slider when he should have taken a strike in the 9th last night). Buck has made many mistakes and this team has won in spite of them.

Bourn had a .314 OBP and a 79 wRC+ this season. The only thing he's qualified to do as a baseball player is run, since apparently he can't even catch.

Jimenez is basically the last pitcher I'd use. He's been a disaster in relief. His first inning is his worst for a reason. It takes a while for him to get settled.

Pitching him in the 11th against the meat of the order is indefensible. Buck had a ton of bullets and he went with the worst option on.the.road.

Monumentally stupid. No other way to paint it. I'd say the worst I've ever seen Buck make.

You think we'd be seeing all of this backlash if Jimenez held the Jays down until we got a lead and then Britton closed it it with one inning of work? Ha. I thought it was a very poor decision. If it worked you'd hear a few people question it today and the rest of you guys would tell the other guys to stop being negative and enjoy the win. LOL

No I thought Buck should have brought Britton in the seventh. Buck is playing to get Britton a stat. Makes no sense at all. They should eliminate the save stat and we would probably not see idiotic movies like this anymore.

Right, except O'day was already used...and if Hunter closes...well we know what his ERA was when he closed for Baltimore...Britton took over.

I don't care who has "closing experience." Such an overrated concept. We just needed someone to come in and get three outs. Simple as that. Could have been Bundy or whoever.

Yes! What the hell! You have the BEST reliever in all of the major leagues in Zach Britton and you bring Ubaldo Jimenex into the bottom of the 11th. I know that Zach knew he was going 6 outs if he came into the game.

You have, statistically, the best reliever in the history of baseball.

Archived