Buck Stuff

ChuckS

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Buck is going to stick around for a rebuild and I think that is likely coming by 2018, so whether or not he is on the hot seat is likely irrelevant. He will be allowed to play out his contract if he chooses so

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-craziest-part-of-showalters-crazy-decision/

Now, here’s the crazy part: no team in baseball history has ever had a better option for this specific situation than the 2016 Orioles
This is the situation for which Zach Britton was created. Instead of being put to use in the scenario in which he was most uniquely suited to succeed, he was forced to watched Ubaldo Jimenez screw it up.
The only way to explain that is if you’re just vehemently opposed to using your closer on the road in a tie game, in any case, under any scenario.

As much as he's loved and respected here and across the league, this will stick to him like a stink for years and probably define him till he finally gets the crown. He's a player's manager and I know they love him. But it's not easy on us fans.

Would being Seattle make it easier on us? Or the Diamondbacks? Maybe the Marlins would be easier on us fans. Man, how soon we get spoiled by success. As great as Earl was, he lost World Series in 1969, 1971, 1979 to lesser teams in each instance. The game is hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't say it cost the game but it may have cost an opportunity to continue the game.

On the flip side, if one of our bashers had caught up with just one pitch in the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th innings and Buck then still had Zach to win it, then we all would be acclaiming his genius in not burning him, compared to burning him say in the 10th for nothing, scoring in the 11th and then Tommy Hunter or Ubaldo giving up 2. It was a reasoned gamble to win the playoff game on the road. I understand it and do not disagree with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cimota, you really are enjoying wallowing in this, aren't you? We all saw the game and I'm not sure what we gain by reading that many pundits thought Buck's strategy was bad. That opinion and the underlying reasoning has been discussed ad nauseum.

Personally, I feel it is being overblown. We didn't muster any offense after the fifth inning and I view that as the principal reason we lost, as well as an indicator that we might have lost even if Britton had been used at some point and tossed two shutout innings.

No. Buck is not on the hot seat. He has helped bringing winning back to Baltimore. He made a poor decision last night, but there was no guarantee we were going to win the game if we brought Britton to start the 11th.

All of our flaws were on display last night and contributed to the loss -- mediocre starting pitching, inconsistent OF defense, and a poor hitting approach that has been slowly sucking the life out of me since June.

I love Buck. He just made a pretty big mistake last night.

cimota, you really are enjoying wallowing in this, aren't you? We all saw the game and I'm not sure what we gain by reading that many pundits thought Buck's strategy was bad. That opinion and the underlying reasoning has been discussed ad nauseum.

Personally, I feel it is being overblown. We didn't muster any offense after the fifth inning and I view that as the principal reason we lost, as well as an indicator that we might have lost even if Britton had been used at some point and tossed two shutout innings.

I think two more innings in which to score could have been huge. Not as if Liriano was an ace this season. No way do I go with Ubaldo before all the other bullets (including Bundy) are spent.

ALL managers are on the Hot Seat at some point in their careers. It usually comes after the "Professional Writers" need someone to "Fillet" because most of their previous stories were wrong. ANy writer that is second guessing Buck Showalter after last nights game had better serve up proof that they had the Orioles in the playoffs from Spring Training on or just shut up already because you have very little credibility to begin with.

Buck showed in the not too distant past that he wasn't opposed to bringing Britton into a tie game on the road. He went with this gut and lost.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Showalter on using Zach Britton in 2-2 tie vs. Blue Jays in Toronto. Not alt universe, but July 31. HT <a href="https://twitter.com/StaceyMFolk">@StaceyMFolk</a> <a href="https://t.co/uSxr2b3qY0">https://t.co/uSxr2b3qY0</a> <a href="https://t.co/QqbiV5rXAn">pic.twitter.com/QqbiV5rXAn</a></p>— Minor Leaguer (@Minor_Leaguer) <a href="

">October 5, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived