Poll: Fireable Offense?

VeveJones007

Was not pitching Britton in the WC game a fireable offense for the O's manager?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Was not pitching Britton in the WC game a fireable offense for the O's manager?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can 80% be ok with this? Buck's going to be torn apart by the media tomorrow... as he should be.

There's a difference between "being OK with this" and considering it an offense worthy of the termination of the man who has been our manager for the last 6+ seasons and led us to three post-season appearances (not always with upper-half talent).

How can 80% be ok with this? Buck's going to be torn apart by the media tomorrow... as he should be.

I am shocked. From the message board posts you would think it would be 80% the other way. Look, you may disagree but there is a school of thought that you don't pitch your closer in a tie game on the road. You can't fire somebody for a strategy that is generally accepted around baseball.

This is the dumbest question and I hate it.

There are always better or as good coaches out there.

Look at Herman for Houston Football. I could give countless other people

You still didn't give me a name though.

I mean you compared a completely different sport to this, and gave me a name from that based on the success he is having.

But you didn't answer my question. Give me a name. A baseball name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck is who he is. He wasn't a good manager of the bullpen before we hired him' date=' and hasn't been after we hired him. I wouldn't fire him now over it, this is who we were getting.[/quote']
He hasn't been?!?!

Remember, if Duquette had been replaced by cardboard cutout of Senator Paul Tsongas and Buck by an animatronic Gremlins doll the team would have averaged 108 wins over the last five years, plus multiple rings.

I am shocked. From the message board posts you would think it would be 80% the other way. Look, you may disagree but there is a school of thought that you don't pitch your closer in a tie game on the road. You can't fire somebody for a strategy that is generally accepted around baseball.

It was a mistake, a poor judgment call. But if we were all fired each time we made a poor judgment call the average turnover rate at American companies would be 226%. And that would also be the divorce rate.

Anyone wanting to fire Showalter because of last night needs to take a deep breath and think about the absurdity of that thought.

Not absurd at all. Buck is going to be remembered for that decision and not anything else he did in his career. It was that bad.

It may have been an acceptable decision to bring Britton in, but logically it makes no difference. Let's assume for the moment that Basic Pitcher who is OK, but not great, and let's assume that Britton will instantly get through three batters with no possibility of a run.

If we leave Basic in: He could blow the game, and it ends. Or he could hold the game, and we hope that the Orioles come back. And then Britton closes it out.

If we bring Britton in: He holds, but who closes it out if we ever take the lead?

The point being that when you bat 1st, you still need to close the game out if you ever hope to win. If ties were allowed, then putting your best pitcher in first might make more sense.

Archived