Nobody I'd rather have behind the helm in 2017 than Buck

LookitsPuck

From the comments section, referring to Buck: "It?s somewhat akin to a brilliant investor doubling your nest egg, then getting liquored up and blowing 25% of the gain. Apoplexy is perfectly justified, but firing the guy would be idiotic because in sum you?re still a lot better off for having him."

HaHa

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baseball managers I'd rather have than Buck

Bruce Bochy

Joe Maddon

Terry Francona

Joe Girardi

Jeff Banister

There's five right there. Hell, even John Gibbons was smart enough to use his closer and best reliever Roberto Osuna in a non-save situation. Typically you don't use closers in extra innings at home but even Gibbons realized the urgency of every inning was and didn't wanted to risk going down with bullets left in the chamber.

Yeah and Osuna now has a shoulder injury. Great. Girardi? Give me a break. Again, his overuse of Betances after trades impacted his performance. Francona? Good manager. Bochy and Maddon-very good. So we have a manager who is in the top 3 or 4 in all of baseball. And I am not sure Maddon and Bochy and Francona would leave their current gigs. Buck is a top flight manager and should continue here through his contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My biggest beef is he has never been in that spot in his life, and the first time is in a must win game with other pitchers available. Whatever relief outings he has had have been mop up spots.

Right. I do not fault Ubaldo at all for last night. He is not a short relief pitcher. He would have been great had he been needed to fill innings if Tillman got rocked but you cannot put him in that situation and believe you are setting him up for success. Awful way to end his season.. and our season of course.

Yeah and Osuna now has a shoulder injury. Great. Girardi? Give me a break. Again, his overuse of Betances after trades impacted his performance. Francona? Good manager. Bochy and Maddon-very good. So we have a manager who is in the top 3 or 4 in all of baseball. And I am not sure Maddon and Bochy and Francona would leave their current gigs. Buck is a top flight manager and should continue here through his contract.

Osuna's injury is Gibbons' fault? Osuna pitched nearly the same amount of innings last season, so he's not overused. Injuries are a part of baseball and Osuna's injury is minor. It doesn't seem like anything a well placed cortisone shot can't fix. Using Osuna for two was the right move. Girardi overusing Betances is your argument? Buck overused Brach which impacted his performance in the second half as well (3.94 (1.38/.270), so I guess Buck is terrible too? Girardi did more with less this season than anyone expected him to.

What about Ned Yost? Yost's Royals have the same amount of wins (351) as Buck's Orioles over the last four seasons only Yost has two World Series appearances including one World Championship and is 22-9 in the postseason. How is he not better than Showalter? Why is Mike Matheny not in the conversation since regular season wins mean so much? Matheny's Cardinals have 373 wins over the last four seasons and they won an NL Pennant. Matheny has only been doing it for five years and his postseason record is 21-22 which is all still miles better than Showalter's over 20+ years.

I think it's a huge stretch to think Davey could have overcome the flaws on that roster. Like an average age of 36.

The 96 and 97 rosters weren't perfect either. I think he could have gotten us there at least, because he knew what he was doing and Ray Miller didn't. That and on paper that roster was an improvement on 1997, we just didn't have the manager to get us there

No manager is worth 20 wins.

I think that PA's firing of Davey helped lead the O's down the path to the 14 year disaster that was Orioles baseball for a bit. The whole thing just snowballed on itself. Who knows? We may of been good for the next few years if we had kept a few people like Johnson, Gillick, Palmerio and Mussina

Osuna's injury is Gibbons' fault? Osuna pitched nearly the same amount of innings last season, so he's not overused. Injuries are a part of baseball and Osuna's injury is minor. It doesn't seem like anything a well placed cortisone shot can't fix. Using Osuna for two was the right move. Girardi overusing Betances is your argument? Buck overused Brach which impacted his performance in the second half as well (3.94 (1.38/.270), so I guess Buck is terrible too? Girardi did more with less this season than anyone expected him to.

What about Ned Yost? Yost's Royals have the same amount of wins (351) as Buck's Orioles over the last four seasons only Yost has two World Series appearances including one World Championship and is 22-9 in the postseason. How is he not better than Showalter? Why is Mike Matheny not in the conversation since regular season wins mean so much? Matheny's Cardinals have 373 wins over the last four seasons and they won an NL Pennant. Matheny has only been doing it for five years and his postseason record is 21-22 which is all still miles better than Showalter's over 20+ years.

Buck is as good if not better than any manager in the game. I will stick with him over any you mentioned.

Check Yost's rosters versus Buck's and you'll find your answer.

I consistently hammer DD for his bone head decisions and Buck has made some terrible in game decisions lately. But, they have brought us back to relevance in the AL east, which isn't easy with a payroll that ranks behind 4 out of 5 teams. They have both earned the right to stay imo. If DD had 50 million more to spend and Buck had more horses, this wouldn't be an issue. But, we have to deal with the reality of who we are. DD will have to do a better job of building the farm and continue dumpster diving. Buck will have to continue to do an outstanding job of managing people and become more flexible. But, I think we should stick with relevance. Given our payroll and division, what other choice do we have?

No, a tie game in extra innings is pretty much as high leverage as it gets!

Also, as unlikely as it seems with the way we were hitting, suppose there was a walk, an error, and Trumbo or Manny or Schoop got hold of one and hit it out. And we had a 3 run lead. A lead which even a mediocre pitcher will protect 85-90% of the time. Then we bring in Britton? We wouldn't be gaining much going from a 90% chance to win to a 99% chance.

So we saved Britton for a specific situation that might never happen, rather than use him in a situation he is better suited for than anyone, CERTAINLY than a starting pitcher who is not used to coming in relief and who had the worst first inning ERA in the major leagues.

Which is what we do pretty much every other game of the year, no?

Archived