Who do you want to win the WS?

waroriole

WS, who you rooting for  

105 members have voted

1. 1. WS, who you rooting for

This poll is closed to new votes

If they win, he will go on sabbatical, then come back and gift his talents to another long suffering franchise (conveniently at just the right moment when his particular brand of genius can be most optimized). Jim Crane might be looking for an executive VP for Baseball Operations in a couple of years.

Heck, maybe the Orioles if they can get the timing right.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, for me - eliminated teams - Boston...pleased they are gone. Texas....less so, haven't minded their team this season. So onto the remaining runners and riders...

Don't want the Blue Jays winning it. Yes, I know it would validate the O's season to some extent, but I know a few Jays fans over here in the UK and you know...misery loves company and all that. The media (worldwide) would make a huge deal out of it too. So no there.

Nationals. Ugrh. This would probably be the worst option for the O's. It's bad enough having our previous market divided, but one thing the O's need to do is bring in the younger fans, and I worry that a WS for the Nats would exasperate that problem with many in the geographical borderline jumping on the bandwagon. We do not want the Nat's to become any form of dominant force in the region. So this would be the worst possible thing to happen.

Those two are the 'absolutely not' for me.

Then there are the Cubs, storied club and all that. Not won since 1908. Yada yada yada. It wouldn't be terrible if they won it, but from all accounts there would could be a knock on effect of having already pompous and entitled fans grow to be even more so. So I'm not rooting for them at all, although if they ended up in a WS against the Jays, I would revise that position.

Dodgers and Giants. Both are 'big' clubs stature wise, and so the effect of winning the WS wouldn't be as magnified media wise, and we could just get on with things without anything rocking the boat. Would happily root for the Dodgers vs the Jays, or the Giants vs the Nats/Cubs in the WS for that reason.

But if I had to root for one team right now it would be the Cleveland Indians. A smaller market team with a tight budget, a good manager, strong bullpen (Miller!) and a win for them will be a big deal to their fans without tipping over to an insufferable media explosion or any direct negative effect on the O's.

So for me...

Want to win - Cleveland Indians

Failing that, would root for - LA Dodgers, SF Giants

Could accept a win but not crazy about it - Chicago Cubs

Absolutely no way/Anyone but them - Washington Nationals, Toronto Blue Jays

(for what it's worth, in a 'nightmare scenario' of the WS being the Nats vs the Jays, I would root for the Jays - but probably just not bother watching)

I'd like to see the Indians, but as long as it's not the Jays or Nats I'll be fine.

I was starting too get behind the Dodgers (I think fpr the first time when they weren't facing the NYY), in light of the way they've dealt with so many injuries. I figured any team whose Game 2 starter was Rich Hill deserved some sympathy. But then I realized that Hill had pitched for the 2015 Long Island Ducks. You know who else was on the 2015 Long Island Ducks? Lew Ford, that's who. :angryfire: (Actually, I can't tell whether Ford was on the team when Hill made either of his two appearances for the Ducks, and maybe Hill has no time for Lew. But still . . .)

I don't want to see the Cubs win. Not because I have anything against them per se, but I don't like teams crowned champions before the season starts. That and the Billy Goat curse is interesting baseball lore

You don't like when people predict who the best team in the league is going to be before the season? That's pretty odd and it's not like they didn't live up to it. If you're saying people were crowning them WS champs, well no stat cast or betting agency had the Cubs as more than a 25% chance to win the WS prior to the playoffs. In fact Fangraphs had the Sox and Dodgers with a better chance.

I couldn't care less who wins. I haven't watched a World Series since 1986. Baseball is boring to me if it isn't the Orioles playing.

I watch World Series', like in between watching Forged in Fire or Gas Monkey Garage or Count's Kustoms. I LOVE watching teams clinching a round. Celebrating on the field. But if it ain't the O's, like you said... I ain't rapt at all. Barely interested.

Archived