Deathmatch: Pedro Alvarez v. Tim Beckam

Who would you pick if now today now both of these guys falls in your lap?

I'm not sure. The impatient "I want a stick and I want it now" fan in me says Pedro, but I could very easily be convinced that we'd be stupid not to grab the young toolshed.

If you believe that Alvarez can start at 3rd for the O's in 2010 / 2011, then I'd go with him. We seem to have a confluence of exceptional talent that's ready to hit the big league club around that time and unless I've misread people in the minors forum, Alvarez is the surer bet to actually reach his potential even though he's got less than T Beck.

This is a tough question. We need a power bat in the middle of the order (Alvarez), but we also need a good top of the order hitter who has speed (which is where I think Beckham will end up eventually) because Brian Roberts may not be around much longer.

If I can have my pick, I'd take Alvarez. Though if he and Rowell make it to Baltimore, Alvarez may have to move positions (1B maybe?).

I love Alvarez. I think he can hit in the .300 to .320 range and hit 30-35 homers a year at the ML level. But we already have Billy Rowell at third and have no one at SS. Hopefully one of the two gets picked before us and we don't have to make the decision.

Is Beckham viewed as similar to BJ and Justin Upton where he is so advanced for his age that he could be to the bigs by the time he's 20? Or is he definitely a 4-5 year minor league guy? I'm not completely sold on Rowell, but if he does come through about the same time as Alvarez, one can play first while the other is at third. Three powerful homegrown bats in Rowell, Alvarez and Wieters around Markakis, Jones and Roberts if we keep him around could be a show by 2010.

This is a slam dunk. Pedro Alvarez in a heartbeat. IMO, Alvarez is a special talent and his bat could produce 30-35 HR's with a .300 plus BA. Beckham has struggled a bit this season and is no sure thing to stick at SS.

The way it currently shakes out, I think the Pirates will take Alvarez at #2 and Beckham will be available to us at #4. I would be very, very happy if we draft Tim Beckham. I just believe Alvarez is more of a sure thing and he could produce at the major league level in 2010. Best case scenario for Beckham is 2012.

This is a slam dunk. Pedro Alvarez in a heartbeat. IMO, Alvarez is a special talent and his bat could produce 30-35 HR's with a .300 plus BA. Beckham has struggled a bit this season and is no sure thing to stick at SS.

The way it currently shakes out, I think the Pirates will take Alvarez at #2 and Beckham will be available to us at #4. I would be very, very happy if we draft Tim Beckham. I just believe Alvarez is more of a sure thing and he could produce at the major league level in 2010. Best case scenario for Beckham is 2012.

Alvarez, for me.

markpolis, I've read that the Pirates are high on Matsuz. I'm not saying I think Alvarez would fall to us because I don't think he will, but that'd be pretty sweet :D

Yeah, as far as drafting Tim Beckham or HS talent, I'm really not for it. We've got Rowell and Snyder in the low minors and while they've had successes, they're still far away from Baltimore and far from being sure things, Snyder especially.

Compare those two to Wieters and which do you feel more positive about?

So the pick is definitely Alvarez or whatever the best college bat we can get at our pick, IMO.

Is Beckham viewed as similar to BJ and Justin Upton where he is so advanced for his age that he could be to the bigs by the time he's 20? Or is he definitely a 4-5 year minor league guy? I'm not completely sold on Rowell, but if he does come through about the same time as Alvarez, one can play first while the other is at third. Three powerful homegrown bats in Rowell, Alvarez and Wieters around Markakis, Jones and Roberts if we keep him around could be a show by 2010.

No

(characters)

Alvarez, for me.

markpolis, I've read that the Pirates are high on Matsuz. I'm not saying I think Alvarez would fall to us because I don't think he will, but that'd be pretty sweet :D

Yeah, as far as drafting Tim Beckham or HS talent, I'm really not for it. We've got Rowell and Snyder in the low minors and while they've had successes, they're still far away from Baltimore and far from being sure things, Snyder especially.

Compare those two to Wieters and which do you feel more positive about?

So the pick is definitely Alvarez or whatever the best college bat we can get at our pick, IMO.

Moose, anything can happen, but I'd be really surprised if the Pirates new owner and GM would pass on Alvarez after passing on Wieters last year. Their fan base still has not forgiven them for selecting Moskos over Wieters.

The owner and GM have promised to take the best player available. They need to make a big splash. Taking Pedro Alvarez would be the wise choice. Although, I could see them taking Posey if the D-Rays pass on him.

I really would be surprised if they select Matusz.

I love Alvarez. I think he can hit in the .300 to .320 range and hit 30-35 homers a year at the ML level. But we already have Billy Rowell at third and have no one at SS. Hopefully one of the two gets picked before us and we don't have to make the decision.

Count me in on Beckham. I don't think Alvarez will hit 30-35 HR in the bigs. I see 20-25 as more like it.

I'll take the 5-tool SS any day of the week.

Count me in on Beckham. I don't think Alvarez will hit 30-35 HR in the bigs. I see 20-25 as more like it.

I'll take the 5-tool SS any day of the week.

You have to discount this year because of his injury. Alvarez has ridiculous power. The ball explodes off his bat. I have to question whether or not you have seen him play in the summer leagues and for Team USA. This guy is the real deal. I truly believe that a 25 HR season for him would be a worse case scenario.

Well going off of the few comps that I have heard tossed around,(Pujols and Manny for Alvarez, and Renteria with a bit more speed for Beckham) I would lean towards Alvarez but be happy if we got Beckham as well.

Archived