Rule 5 protection list to be submitted by tomorrow

wildcard

From CBSSports:

Nov. 18: This is the deadline for teams to add eligible prospects to the 40-man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft. Generally speaking, college players drafted in 2013 and high school players drafted in 2012 are Rule 5 Draft eligible this offseason. Also international free agents signed in 2012. Any eligible players not on the 40-man roster can be selected in the Rule 5 Draft.

Liranzo and Yacabonis seem likely. Gunkel, Mercedes, Kline and Richard Rodriguez are others the will be exposed if not protected.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2016-17-mlb-offseason-free-agency-winter-meetings-other-important-dates/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't think Liranzo and Yacabonis would need protection... they don't seem close to helping out a major league staff anywhere.

Joe Gunkel is an automatic starter on a team that needs a starter.

Though I'm not sure I agree how automatic Gunkel may be, I do agree that I'd like to see him protected. He's had pretty solid results at AA and AAA the last two years, and I could easily see a team taking a Logan Verrett-esqe flier on him. Especially given what we saw from Wright and Wilson last year (ultimately not that promising), and the fact that we'll have some holes in our starting rotation after 2017 (arguably some holes in 2017, depending on health and performance of especially Gallardo, Miley, and Jimenez). Would like us to add him to the 40.

Including the Orioles...

I partially agree. The Orioles starting pitching problem is that they have a bunch of 3,4,5 pitchers and need a pitcher to lead the staff. Gunkel doesn't solve that problem. Gunkel is Tyler Wilson is Mike Wright.

My point is that Gunkel will be in someone's depth chart if they don't protect him. The other guys don't last a full season on a roster anywhere.

I partially agree. The Orioles starting pitching problem is that they have a bunch of 3,4,5 pitchers and need a pitcher to lead the staff. Gunkel doesn't solve that problem. Gunkel is Tyler Wilson is Mike Wright.

My point is that Gunkel will be in someone's depth chart if they don't protect him. The other guys don't last a full season on a roster anywhere.

Gunkle is better than Tyler Wilson. If you want to see who is better between Wilson and Wright, try to trade them both and see what you get.

Archived