My ideal offseason

Dark Helmet

This will be Zach Brittons last season as an Oriole. So I'm going to enjoy watching him pitch. If a Manny extension doesn't happen this offseason, it won't happen imo. I'd look to extend Tillman and Gausman.

We don't need to extend Gausman at this point. I think we keep Schoop, Machado and Britton. Call me crazy, but I honestly think it will happen

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This will be Zach Brittons last season as an Oriole. So I'm going to enjoy watching him pitch. If a Manny extension doesn't happen this offseason, it won't happen imo. I'd look to extend Tillman and Gausman.

If you go this route, do you trade Briton and Machado before the July 31st deadline to get the most impact, even if you are hovering in contention, or after the season when value might be lower? Do you do it in a salary dump, or to gain new prospects/players to go with the Tillman/Gausman extensions?

We don't need to extend Gausman at this point. I think we keep Schoop, Machado and Britton. Call me crazy, but I honestly think it will happen

Do you keep them, regardless of trade situations and the ability to possibly get a few missing pieces?

With the Cubs this season and what the Yankees started doing towards the end of last season, we've seen that teams that have a bunch of, not only great, but we scouted prospects, can impact a team in ways much bigger than 2 veteran signings. One of the big complaints has been the Orioles farm system. Would you want to see an impact on the farm system (positively) for the next several seasons, or an impact in Camden Yards for 2017?

Of that list Britton is the most unlikely to stay long term. As a Boras client he will go through FA. He will get high bids and the O's will not be able to go as high as the market will push him.

If you go this route, do you trade Briton and Machado before the July 31st deadline to get the most impact, even if you are hovering in contention, or after the season when value might be lower? Do you do it in a salary dump, or to gain new prospects/players to go with the Tillman/Gausman extensions?

Do you keep them, regardless of trade situations and the ability to possibly get a few missing pieces?

With the Cubs this season and what the Yankees started doing towards the end of last season, we've seen that teams that have a bunch of, not only great, but we scouted prospects, can impact a team in ways much bigger than 2 veteran signings. One of the big complaints has been the Orioles farm system. Would you want to see an impact on the farm system (positively) for the next several seasons, or an impact in Camden Yards for 2017?

First one is no, because he hits free agency in 2018 with Manny. You'd get more in 2018 than this year if you wanted to trade for him. 2nd question is a question none of us can answer unless they work in the FO. In theory, I'd go for a guy who could be here for a couple years versus a Trumbo like rental and keep building through the draft.

When Boras is involved there is no home town discount. Player's value is establish in the market through FA.

Boras gets the best deal he can for his player. If the money is close and the player would prefer to stay with his team, then that's the "best" deal. It isn't like Boras holds a gun to their heads and makes them take the most money.

Boras gets the best deal he can for his player. If the money is close and the player would prefer to stay with his team, then that's the "best" deal. It isn't like Boras holds a gun to their heads and makes them take the most money.

Players that pick Boras as an agent do so for one reason. To get the most money in free agency that is possible. Boras believes that the best way to get the most money is to go free agent. This philosophy is following with the vast majority of his clients.

Does it ever go a different way? Yes, on occasion. But its against the odds to think it will happen any other way.

My ideal off season would be a rebuild. I think the approach will eventually lead us to the cellar. Losing guys like Britton, Tillman, Manny and getting a pick or perhaps less if they don't offer a QO. Plus giving away our picks to sign middling busts like Jiminez and Gallardo.

I think a rebuild by a new GM would be the way to go

My ideal off season would be a rebuild. I think the approach will eventually lead us to the cellar. Losing guys like Britton, Tillman, Manny and getting a pick or perhaps less if they don't offer a QO. Plus giving away our picks to sign middling busts like Jiminez and Gallardo.

I think a rebuild by a new GM would be the way to go

So you want to go to the cellar right away?

Archived