Poor Decision Making

Roll Tide

Honestly, I thought quite a bit before starting this thread.

For the immediate success Duquette had coming in most of his decision making has been pretty mediocre.

While I won't claim he's a total bust as deals like the Trumbo trade were good, the moves that are long term have really hurt the team.

With the latest statement about payroll only going up modesty and to due with the attendance (The Os were supported heavily on Tv). It's obvious we don't have much to spend.

What that tells me is resigning Davis to the deal was just stupid. It was obvious that Davis was a flawed player. To make matters worse Duquette or Angelos or both were negotiating with themselves.

Moreover, hanging onto our better players and foot dragging on extensions has costed heavily in payroll. Plus we will probably lose 2 of Tillman, Manny, and/or Britton due to contracts that we can't or won't match.

Duquette or Angelos' approach to free agent pitchers has been plain stupid. Passing on the #1 types and going with mediocre guys with qualifying offers has hurt now and the future due to the forfeited picks.

Yes, we have been reasonably competitive with the teams. But the short series playoff format always favored the opponent. Our homer or nothing offenses are not going to dominate against the good pitchers.

As I said in the other thread, a rebuild under a new GM would be my approach as you could heavily restock our system and cut the down period doing so.

Just my opinion and please be objective

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, I thought quite a bit before starting this thread.

For the immediate success Duquette had coming in most of his decision making has been pretty mediocre.

While I won't claim he's a total bust as deals like the Trumbo trade were good, the moves that are long term have really hurt the team.

With the latest statement about payroll only going up modesty and to due with the attendance (The Os were supported heavily on Tv). It's obvious we don't have much to spend.

What that tells me is resigning Davis to the deal was just stupid. It was obvious that Davis was a flawed player. To make matters worse Duquette or Angelos or both were negotiating with themselves.

Moreover, hanging onto our better players and foot dragging on extensions has costed heavily in payroll. Plus we will probably lose 2 of Tillman, Manny, and/or Britton due to contracts that we can't or won't match.

Duquette or Angelos' approach to free agent pitchers has been plain stupid. Passing on the #1 types and going with mediocre guys with qualifying offers has hurt now and the future due to the forfeited picks.

Yes, we have been reasonably competitive with the teams. But the short series playoff format always favored the opponent. Our homer or nothing offenses are not going to dominate against the good pitchers.

As I said in the other thread, a rebuild under a new GM would be my approach as you could heavily restock our system and cut the down period doing so.

Just my opinion and please be objective

Geez, how old are you? Did you go through 14 years of losing Orioles baseball?

In general most GMs make some decisions that don't turn out well. But if the GM puts together winning teams on a consistent basis he is considered a good GM. Dan fits that description for me.

I think the intellectual case for a rebuild can be made, but realistically, teams that win 89 games don't rebuild. They try to tweak their team and do a little better next year. That's just life in the real world.

I don't love all of Duquette's decisions (some of which may actually have been Angelos' decisions), and I do think it's likely we'll pay a pretty price for some of them two years from now. At the same time, I've enjoyed the last five years and the worst I can say is that his decisions have been a mixed bag.

Looking back, I think our 2014 team had a good chance to win it all. We didn't have Manny, Wieters or Davis in the playoffs. That's not Duquette's fault.

I think the intellectual case for a rebuild can be made, but realistically, teams that win 89 games don't rebuild. They try to tweak their team and do a little better next year. That's just life in the real world.

I don't love all of Duquette's decisions (some of which may actually have been Angelos' decisions), and I do think it's likely we'll pay a pretty price for some of them two years from now. At the same time, I've enjoyed the last five years and the worst I can say is that his decisions have been a mixed bag.

Looking back, I think our 2014 team had a good chance to win it all. We didn't have Manny, Wieters or Davis in the playoffs. That's not Duquette's fault.

There will be plenty of time for a rebuild and intellectually sound decisions for the next GM. This one prefers not to have losing seasons.

The cold hard reality is that we are bound to keep a core nucleus of "superstars" and sacrifice in other areas. The key is whether or not those "superstars" are content with being a mediocre team. I don't know what Angelos does to appease that. The minute Manny, Schoop et al decide that winning is more important than $, we're gonna be in a world of hurt.

If you think for a second that a big $ deal will keep Manny when he can get potentially a similar deal elsewhere on a better team, you might want to think again. Our commitment, while not under question the past few seasons, will surely be scrutinized more and more with each passing day.

In general most GMs make some decisions that don't turn out well. But if the GM puts together winning teams on a consistent basis he is considered a good GM. Dan fits that description for me.

Dan is putting us in a position where we're going to have another 5+ year losing streak after he bolts. I understand that we've been "going for it" for a few years, but some of his decisions have been flat out embarrassing.

There will be plenty of time for a rebuild and intellectually sound decisions for the next GM. This one prefers not to have losing seasons.

I can understand not wanting losing seasons but sometimes you have to look within yourself and see what kinda organization you have.

The Orioles are a team that has a budget and I am ok with that. But deals like Davis and trading for Miller to let him go just don't make much sense.

The core was here when Dan showed up. Trading our young pitching doesn't make sense for a team that doesn't want to buy pitching.

Ubaldo, Miley and Gallardo are not guys who will get it done. I can see one of the three but not all 3.

Trading for Parra was so stupid in my opinion. I feel like Dan makes moves sometimes just to make them. It's only a matter of time til we need the farm system to have winning seasons and there isn't much there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand not wanting losing seasons but sometimes you have to look within yourself and see what kinda organization you have.

The Orioles are a team that has a budget and I am ok with that. But deals like Davis and trading for Miller to let him go just don't make much sense.

The core was here when Dan showed up. Trading our young pitching doesn't make sense for a team that doesn't want to buy pitching.

Ubaldo, Miley and Gallardo are not guys who will get it done. I can see one of the three but not all 3.

Trading for Parra was so stupid in my opinion. I feel like Dan makes moves sometimes just to make them. It's only a matter of time til we need the farm system to have winning seasons and there isn't much there.

If you remember the biggest point of getting Miller, was keeping him out of Detroit's bullpen.

That was the right decision to make, and without Manny, Wieters and Davis, that 2014 went to the ALCS.

If you remember the biggest point of getting Miller, was keeping him out of Detroit's bullpen.

That was the right decision to make, and without Manny, Wieters and Davis, that 2014 went to the ALCS.

I still to this day think we should have resigned him. I'm ok with the trade if we resign him.

I remember very well what that team did. But do you remember the offseason that we had after that?

A team that close should have added difference making pieces to get further.

I still to this day think we should have resigned him. I'm ok with the trade if we resign him.

I remember very well what that team did. But do you remember the offseason that we had after that?

A team that close should have added difference making pieces to get further.

I think the Yankees overspent for Miller, and the Orioles ended up being 2nd fiddle.

Ultimately PA will need to recognize that this team, as it is, sans Trumbo, Pierce and Wieters is weaker than last year. Not sure how that translates into $ to spend, but to spend as much as we currently are to not compete is a tad ridiculous.

Gotta believe the hard decisions aren't going to come this year. We won't overpay everyone, but we will overpay someone. Hit and hope.

Yes ... I've watched plent of losing Oriole's baseball since 1983. I have enjoyed the last five seasons but I think now is the time to sell. The team next year will not have as much power. It will include a mediocre RF, Macini at DH, and the same low team OBP that we have dealt with the last few years. Tillman, Manny, and Britton will be heading into free agency.

I have enjoyed contending and we've given it a go. The widow is closing due to departures and a tight payroll. Prolonging it is going to hurt the long term recovery. I can't see how this years team will come close to 89 games

Archived