Orioles Offseason Realistic Trade Assets

Aristotelian

A lot of folks have been advocating for blowing up the team and building for the future. The centerpiece of that strategy would be trading Britton or Machado, our two most valuable pieces. Yet I think there are other assets that people aren't talking about that could help us in more of a retooling scenario. Roch recently mentioned Brach and Givens as alternatives to trading Britton. I would like to emphasize this is not another "trade Manny/Britton" thread. I am more interested in thinking about the middle tier and more expendable guys, the pros and cons of trading them and what we would want to get in return.

Tillman. 1 year of control left. Put up a solid year last year more in line with career norms after a disastrous 2015. Definite commodity for any team looking for a dependable starting pitcher (if not an ace). He has been good for us, and losing him would be a big blow. However, we currently have 6 SP's for 5 spots. Getting rid of Tillman could help rebuild the system while providing an opening for someone in the system to be the next man up.

Givens. Pre-arb, high upside, capable of pitching in the back end of any MLB bullpen as a matchup guy, albeit with terrible splits that will probably prevent him from ever closing. Still, would be very interesting to teams looking for bullpen help. Could be used to get a veteran RF.

Brach. More versatile than Givens, but only two years of team control remaining. Might be able to get some second tier prospects or a veteran OF without killing our bullpen depth. I personally did not like what I saw from Brach during the second half in terms of body language so I would be inclined to move him. Would the Tigers be interested in Brach for J.D. Martinez?

Oliver Drake. Less proven than Brach or Givens, but has some upside while he would be expendable for the Orioles in the short term. Maybe to the Braves for Markakis?

Kim. Buck seems not to like him. Another team may value him higher. Not sure what we would want back.

Vance Worley. Put up a very solid 3.53 ERA, although FIP and WHIP don't look that good. Could be exchanged even-steven for a 1 WAR type OF or C prospect while clearing room in our bullpen for the guys with options.

Miley. Pretty bad for the Orioles but has a decent track record. Unfortunately he is not a bargain at $9M. I would think some team would take him in a salary dump but we would not get anything back.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Mancini and Sisco could be added to that list. Sisco less likely but if we're building to win now then Sisco isn't in the plans since he is still largely an unknown. Mancini has no place with Davis around.

Yeah, you could put Bundy on the list too. So far DD's MO has been to tweak and retool rather than either blow up the team for the future or go all in to win now.

I think Mancini and Sisco could be added to that list. Sisco less likely but if we're building to win now then Sisco isn't in the plans since he is still largely an unknown. Mancini has no place with Davis around.

Sisco is probably a "no," though almost any of their minor leaguers: Perez (Rule 5 eligible), Wynns, Murphy, Mercedes (Rule 5 eligible) and Pena (on the 40) could be up for grabs for the right price.

Mancini might be safe, but Christian Walker would be the one that is mainly free to go with Davis around.

A lot of folks have been advocating for blowing up the team and building for the future. The centerpiece of that strategy would be trading Britton or Machado, our two most valuable pieces. Yet I think there are other assets that people aren't talking about that could help us in more of a retooling scenario. Roch recently mentioned Brach and Givens as alternatives to trading Britton. I would like to emphasize this is not another "trade Manny/Britton" thread. I am more interested in thinking about the middle tier and more expendable guys, the pros and cons of trading them and what we would want to get in return.

Tillman. 1 year of control left. Put up a solid year last year more in line with career norms after a disastrous 2015. Definite commodity for any team looking for a dependable starting pitcher (if not an ace). He has been good for us, and losing him would be a big blow. However, we currently have 6 SP's for 5 spots. Getting rid of Tillman could help rebuild the system while providing an opening for someone in the system to be the next man up.

Givens. Pre-arb, high upside, capable of pitching in the back end of any MLB bullpen as a matchup guy, albeit with terrible splits that will probably prevent him from ever closing. Still, would be very interesting to teams looking for bullpen help. Could be used to get a veteran RF.

Brach. More versatile than Givens, but only two years of team control remaining. Might be able to get some second tier prospects or a veteran OF without killing our bullpen depth. I personally did not like what I saw from Brach during the second half in terms of body language so I would be inclined to move him. Would the Tigers be interested in Brach for J.D. Martinez?

Oliver Drake. Less proven than Brach or Givens, but has some upside while he would be expendable for the Orioles in the short term. Maybe to the Braves for Markakis?

Kim. Buck seems not to like him. Another team may value him higher. Not sure what we would want back.

Vance Worley. Put up a very solid 3.53 ERA, although FIP and WHIP don't look that good. Could be exchanged even-steven for a 1 WAR type OF or C prospect while clearing room in our bullpen for the guys with options.

Miley. Pretty bad for the Orioles but has a decent track record. Unfortunately he is not a bargain at $9M. I would think some team would take him in a salary dump but we would not get anything back.

Manny. Britton. Schoop. Tillman.

You think any of them are going?

Now, Bundy, Gausman, Mancini, Sedlock, Sisco. Those are the ones you could trade.

Sisco is probably a "no," though almost any of their minor leaguers: Perez (Rule 5 eligible), Wynns, Murphy, Mercedes (Rule 5 eligible) and Pena (on the 40) could be up for grabs for the right price.

Mancini might be safe, but Christian Walker would be the one that is mainly free to go with Davis around.

I agree Sisco is unlikely to be traded. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Castro and trading away Sisco in a package for RF. The idea is to win now...when Manny leaves and Davis hits years 4 or 5 in his albatross contract then it will be legit rebuild time. Not a lot of time to wait for Sisco.

Manny. Britton. Schoop. Tillman.

You think any of them are going?

Now, Bundy, Gausman, Mancini, Sedlock, Sisco. Those are the ones you could trade.

I agree Sisco is unlikely to be traded. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Castro and trading away Sisco in a package for RF. The idea is to win now...when Manny leaves and Davis hits years 4 or 5 in his albatross contract then it will be legit rebuild time. Not a lot of time to wait for Sisco.

If Sisco IS traded, it would probably be after 2017, especially once he gets some MLB time and does good. Raise his value. Very unlikely they trade him though. Same with Mancini, for now.

I doubt Sedlock goes anywhere for now. Some of their other minor league arms (John Means, Brandon Barker, Tanner Scott, Matthew Grimes, David Hess) could go, packaged up for something.

If the Orioles sign a cheap catcher to platoon with Joseph, expect either Pena or Perez to be traded.

Not many tradable assets unless your'e looking to rebuild. I think Britton and Manny would be "reload" options when the time comes. They both would deliver near ready, multiple prospects in return. Trading Gausman right now seems counter intuitive. Unless you think his arm is about to blow out.

I think there's a realistic possibility they trade Britton - particularly since his arb number will be in the 11 million area. The area the O's have done particularly well in under Duq is putting together an outstanding bullpen at a relatively low price. Britton's jump to 11 mil seems to go against how Duq likes to allocate funds.

I think there's a realistic possibility they trade Britton - particularly since his arb number will be in the 11 million area. The area the O's have done particularly well in under Duq is putting together an outstanding bullpen at a relatively low price. Britton's jump to 11 mil seems to go against how Duq likes to allocate funds.

I feel like we've had this debate before, with some schmoe named Jim Johnson was our closer a few years ago. I think our BP is strong even without Britton. Brach as the closer, O'day, Givens, Hart and Drake as set up men. Wright is in there somewhere if one of them gets hurt.

Except for that he said he was going to. You know, for the Cy Young winner.

Archived