Is Trumbo as good as gone?

Diehard_O's_Fan

I would be very happy to see a DH platoon of Kim and Mancini. Then, maybe, we could put actual outfielders in the outfield.

^

^

^

THIS

Id rather spend some money on a decent OF. Does anyone else feel like we already have a Trumbo in Davis? I know Trumbo had a career year, but Davis could put up those numbers with better defense. We already have power.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^

^

^

THIS

Id rather spend some money on a decent OF. Does anyone else feel like we already have a Trumbo in Davis? I know Trumbo had a career year, but Davis could put up those numbers with better defense. We already have power.

Besides Fowler who's that? Forget Davis in RF it's not happening nor should it.

• 2 weeks later...

With the way that the market is going we should just give Trumbo 4/60 right now.  15 million per.  He's not a perfect player but he's our best option right now.  He doesn't cost a pick.  He's already had success with us.  He was pretty much our MVP last season.  Everyone wants to dismiss him as just some fluke, and that his 2nd half was terrible, but he was the only player during the WC game that multiple good swings.

We should be smart and sign him and have him and davis swap gloves.  Trumbo at 1st, Davis in RF.  At that point they both would have gotten paid so who cares about changing positions.  It would just be about winning.  Look at the contracts that other guys are already getting;

Morales 3/33-11 per

Reddick 4/52- 13 per 

Jay 1/8 

Thames 3/16- 5.33 per 

That's what's already been given out.  At this point 15 million per for Trumbo would be a bargain.  Saunders is going to get 10+ million.  Fowler is a pipe dream.  Plus ever last year, I don't want that guy.  And he costs a pick.  I guess the million dollar question is have we offered Trumbo 4/60 and he wants 5/90?  :confused:

On November 21, 2016 at 1:56 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

When Cruz left the Orioles offense was just as good the next season, but the Snider/Cruz comparison was too much of a ready made story line and became a focal point for disgruntled fans.

That's my main concern, that it won't be difficult to replace the roughly two wins Trumbo was worth but we'll be faced with 1,000 threads about how the Orioles don't care about winning because they refused to go 4/80 for a 1.6-win player coming off a peak year at 30.

There can't be a good outcome when a guy deserving of a 2/15 or 2/20 kind of deal is looking for four or five times that amount.

I don't claim to be a WAR guy or really even understand the metrics behind it. From the eye test I recall Trumbo carrying the Orioles a good part of the 1st half. Even when he cooled off in the second he still won a number of games with his bat.

i agree that the Orioles can't pay him 20 million per and I was hoping for 4/50-60. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With the way that the market is going we should just give Trumbo 4/60 right now.  15 million per.  He's not a perfect player but he's our best option right now.  He doesn't cost a pick.  He's already had success with us.  He was pretty much our MVP last season.  Everyone wants to dismiss him as just some fluke, and that his 2nd half was terrible, but he was the only player during the WC game that multiple good swings.

We should be smart and sign him and have him and davis swap gloves.  Trumbo at 1st, Davis in RF.  At that point they both would have gotten paid so who cares about changing positions.  It would just be about winning.  Look at the contracts that other guys are already getting;

Morales 3/33-11 per

Reddick 4/52- 13 per 

Jay 1/8 

Thames 3/16- 5.33 per 

That's what's already been given out.  At this point 15 million per for Trumbo would be a bargain.  Saunders is going to get 10+ million.  Fowler is a pipe dream.  Plus ever last year, I don't want that guy.  And he costs a pick.  I guess the million dollar question is have we offered Trumbo 4/60 and he wants 5/90?  :confused:

Chris Carter is basically the same hitter as Trumbo. He will come drastically cheaper and on a 1 year deal.

Trumbo MVP? The guy worth 2 wins? Did Manny Machado cease to exist? Trumbo's ceiling is basically league average player. He was worth zero wins 2014-2015. Paying market value costs for that ceiling for 4 years is not good strategy.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With the way that the market is going we should just give Trumbo 4/60 right now.  15 million per.  He's not a perfect player but he's our best option right now.   He doesn't cost a pick.

In essence, he costs us the pick we'd receive if someone else signed him.

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

Chris Carter is basically the same hitter as Trumbo. He will come drastically cheaper and on a 1 year deal.

Trumbo MVP? The guy worth 2 wins? Did Manny Machado cease to exist? Trumbo's ceiling is basically league average player. He was worth zero wins 2014-2015. Paying market value costs for that ceiling for 4 years is not good strategy.

Trumbo is by far the better player. Carter is below average at every position. Trumbo would be average at first base. Carter is a mistake hitter, is terrible at defense and has never played on a team with a winning record. Nothing. It meaningless baseball on last place teams. Trumbo produced in the best division in baseball and in the playoffs. 

The best scenario would be to move Davis to RF and Trumbo to 1B. Davis can't complain too much considering he got paid already. Plus he's an athlete. Give him a full ST in RF and we will be surprised. 

Power plays in the AL East ballparks. It might not be pretty but power and a great bullpen can when you a lot of games in our division. 

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Trumbo is by far the better player. Carter is below average at every position. Trumbo would be average at first base. Carter is a mistake hitter, is terrible at defense and has never played on a team with a winning record. Nothing. It meaningless baseball on last place teams. Trumbo produced in the best division in baseball and in the playoffs. 

The best scenario would be to move Davis to RF and Trumbo to 1B. Davis can't complain too much considering he got paid already. Plus he's an athlete. Give him a full ST in RF and we will be surprised. 

Power plays in the AL East ballparks. It might not be pretty but power and a great bullpen can when you a lot of games in our division. 

I am with you with most of what you say.

Davis showed gold glove caliber plus defense last season, and can Trumbo do that, or is he just average at first?

I have no problem, with spot starts in the COF, but for me, leave him at first. IMO

He had  career year and has no position on the O's

I would have loved to have him at 1B and not flushed 160 million down the commode on CD, but that ship has sailed

Need COF'ers who can run, play defense, and get on base

We should be trading Britton for a ready/near ready blue chip OF prospect or two

Funny I heard Derik Fischer mentioned who was the guy Houston picked with the pick they got from us in the Norris deal

This is just like the Cruz situation.  DD didn't pay Cruz and we replaced him with this,

Pearce 3.7 million

Young 2.25 million

Snider 2.1 million

De Aza 5 million

That's about 13 million spent on four players trying to replace Cruz.  We may have saved a million or two when we traded De Aza.  But we had to spend that on Parra's salary at the deadline.  Plus we lost Tarpley, Brault, and Davies in trades for OF's.  So 13 million and 2 pitchers that would probably be in our rotation right now.  Do we really need to repeat that?  

Just spend the money and keep Trumbo.  Bourn and Rickard would make fine late inning defensive subs for Kim and Trumbo.  The only question is how much does Trumbo want?  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is just like the Cruz situation.  DD didn't pay Cruz and we replaced him with this,

Pearce 3.7 million

Young 2.25 million

Snider 2.1 million

De Aza 5 million

That's about 13 million spent on four players trying to replace Cruz.  We may have saved a million or two when we traded De Aza.  But we had to spend that on Parra's salary at the deadline.  Plus we lost Tarpley, Brault, and Davies in trades for OF's.  So 13 million and 2 pitchers that would probably be in our rotation right now.  Do we really need to repeat that?  

Just spend the money and keep Trumbo.  Bourn and Rickard would make fine late inning defensive subs for Kim and Trumbo.  The only question is how much does Trumbo want?  

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying.  Are you saying that, had we paid Cruz enough to stay, we would have decided to go with three less players on the roster?

8 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying.  Are you saying that, had we paid Cruz enough to stay, we would have decided to go with three less players on the roster?

I dont think the issue with Cruz was about the $$$ per year, but the length of the contract, and they were looking down the road at locking up other core players. IMO

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pearce 3.7 million

Young 2.25 million

Snider 2.1 million

De Aza 5 million

A bit of hindsight bias here.  The contract Cruz got from the Mariners was universally considered a bad contract.  No one thought he would keep hitting like that.  Generally speaking, handing out large contracts to players coming off of career years in the early to mid 30's is bad business.  

I have no interest in paying Trumbo what he would cost given the current configuration of the team.  If we didn't have Davis it would be a different story. 

On November 21, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Snutchy said:

I don't get it. I like Mark, but what does he really do besides hit homeruns and throw a few people out? If he could actually get to the ball in time, he may not have to try to throw so many out.

Mancini can hit homeruns. Get someone in RF that can catch and steal bases, and you're already in a better position than last year.

No trying to be a downer ...but Mancini has done nothing yet and it seems like many are expecting him to replace at least half(in a platoon )of Trumbo's production. 

I hope he does and forces his way into the everyday lineup. But despite his hot cup of coffee he is certainly not a given at this point.

Archived