Is Trumbo as good as gone?

Diehard_O's_Fan

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is just like the Cruz situation.  DD didn't pay Cruz and we replaced him with this,

Pearce 3.7 million

Young 2.25 million

Snider 2.1 million

De Aza 5 million

That's about 13 million spent on four players trying to replace Cruz.  We may have saved a million or two when we traded De Aza.  But we had to spend that on Parra's salary at the deadline.  Plus we lost Tarpley, Brault, and Davies in trades for OF's.  So 13 million and 2 pitchers that would probably be in our rotation right now.  Do we really need to repeat that?  

Just spend the money and keep Trumbo.  Bourn and Rickard would make fine late inning defensive subs for Kim and Trumbo.  The only question is how much does Trumbo want?  

This ....we used to call it dumpster diving. Although I'm uncertain whether that is a banned statement here.....LOL

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont think the issue with Cruz was about the $$$ per year, but the length of the contract, and they were looking down the road at locking up other core players. IMO

Oh, I agree with you on that point.  I was confused about the statement that we replaced Cruz with four players. 

I

Just now, Number5 said:

Oh, I agree with you on that point.  I was confused about the statement that we replaced Cruz with four players. 

Hindsight, that season, it would have been cheaper to have kept Cruz, no doubt.

Always easy for some posters [not yourself] to sit back and keyboard manage. :)

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Trumbo is by far the better player. Carter is below average at every position. Trumbo would be average at first base. Carter is a mistake hitter, is terrible at defense and has never played on a team with a winning record. Nothing. It meaningless baseball on last place teams. Trumbo produced in the best division in baseball and in the playoffs. 

The best scenario would be to move Davis to RF and Trumbo to 1B. Davis can't complain too much considering he got paid already. Plus he's an athlete. Give him a full ST in RF and we will be surprised. 

Power plays in the AL East ballparks. It might not be pretty but power and a great bullpen can when you a lot of games in our division. 

Mark Trumbo has a ceiling of 2 wins, or league average. Trumbo isn't playing first base, Chris Davis is playing first base. Both Trumbo or Carter would be best served as a DH and I think either one would be signed to do that job. That makes their defensive value meaningless. As hitters, they are as close to identical in value as you can get.

If I'm choosing between Trumbo at DH for 4/60 or Carter at DH for 1/5 I'm going with Carter 10/10 times.

4 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Mark Trumbo has a ceiling of 2 wins, or league average. Trumbo isn't playing first base, Chris Davis is playing first base. Both Trumbo or Carter would be best served as a DH and I think either one would be signed to do that job. That makes their defensive value meaningless. As hitters, they are as close to identical in value as you can get.

If I'm choosing between Trumbo at DH for 4/60 or Carter at DH for 1/5 I'm going with Carter 10/10 times.

I dont think you can get Carter for 1/5. IMO

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

He was set to make 8 and was non-tendered. He was signed for this season for 2.5. I think he's pretty much in the same boat Pedro Alvarez was just in. I don't think it will take much more than 5.

4 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

He was set to make 8 and was non-tendered. He was signed for this season for 2.5. I think he's pretty much in the same boat Pedro Alvarez was just in. I don't think it will take much more than 5.

Good points, but 41 bombs is more than 27 bombs.

It will be interesting to see what he gets, and where he ends up.

26 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I

Hindsight, that season, it would have been cheaper to have kept Cruz, no doubt.

Always easy for some posters [not yourself] to sit back and keyboard manage. :)

To be clear, my major point regarding his claim that we replace Cruz with DeAza, Pearce, Snider, and Young is that the claim is quite obviously false.  DeAza, Pearce, and Young were all three teammates with Cruz on the 2014 Orioles.  None of them were obtained to replace Cruz.  That would be Snider - and only Snider.  Had we retained Cruz, we would have still had Pearce, Young, and DeAza on the roster to begin the 2015 season.  His post was simply without merit.

13 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Trumbo was a classic sign and win for the Orioles.  Steve Clevenger traded for cost controlled 2016 HR King.  In addition he was insurance for Chris Davis if he did not return.  And then finally, he represents a draft pick if and when he signs.

We could really use the pick and I hope that it comes through. 

Look, Chris Davis may play better than in 2016.  He did seem to carry injury throughout the season.  But I think the Orioles are going to struggle to get deeper in the playoffs as long as they continue to strike out as much as they do.  I'm not on board signing Trumbo to a 4/60 deal or higher given that he has NO home to use defensively and given that he is nearly a strike out or HR guy.

We do not have unlimited $ and we still have to answer the long term questions regarding Zack Britton, Manny Machado and Chris Tillman.  Good luck to Trumbo and if he doesn't bring a pick we can give him the Cruz deal for a year and then try again.

On 11/21/2016 at 11:34 AM, MDtransplant757 said:

I'd like to have him back, but I doubt it will happen. Mancini is the guy who I look at and see the future. I think if you liked Trumbo, then you'll love Mancini

And the Trumbo money has to be used to finance Manny's extension, which Duquette should be working on, but likely is not.

22 minutes ago, cimota said:

I don't want Trumbo back even at last years salary. Poor fielder who strikes out all the time.  Hopefully another team is willing to give up a pick for him.  He should have taken the QO. 

Same. I want the pick. No interest in Trumbo returning.

33 minutes ago, cimota said:

I don't want Trumbo back even at last years salary. Poor fielder who strikes out all the time.  Hopefully another team is willing to give up a pick for him.  He should have taken the QO. 

If you had left out the emboldened phrase, I would be in complete agreement.  If, however, we could actually sign Trumbo for one year at $9.15 million, I'd have to jump on that with both feet.

55 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

This. I would be interested in Trumbo as a DH, but he is going to want to be paid as a full time position player, most likely playing 1B. Pedro or Carter replaces about 80% of Trumbo's production at less of a cost. Mancini replaces 50% of his production for nothing. DD has a much more challenging offseason this year. He is not going to bring Trumbo back at 4/$60M.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

This. I would be interested in Trumbo as a DH, but he is going to want to be paid as a full time position player, most likely playing 1B. Pedro or Carter replaces about 80% of Trumbo's production at less of a cost. Mancini replaces 50% of his production for nothing. DD has a much more challenging offseason this year. He is not going to bring Trumbo back at 4/$60M.

Mancini is nothing more than a prospect. You can't say he will replace 50% of Trumbo's production, as he is an unknown.

Archived