O's sign David Washington - 1B-OF- DH

Tony-OH

I think I was looking at him today. Did I read 35% K%? That's entirely too much for AAA but he is only 25. A project, to be sure. Fix the plate discipline and you've got a heck of a hitter.

Striking out often does not mean a hitter lacks plate discipline, especially not with a BA-OBP delta over 100 points.

Dude still has a pretty good OBP. There are clearly flaws to his game but there could be value there too. He appears to have power, and the obp isn't bad. Probably not much of an OF, but decent chance he is more valuable at league minimum than Pedro Alvarez is at several million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he could be a Pedro replacement at some point this season.

Well, it's just a minor league signing. If for some reason he's able to hit a little bit against right-handers he could have some value.

I agree, I don't see how anyone can ever be mad at a minor league signing ever. At worst we'll get to see the adjustment from hitting in the PCL to playing in Harbor Park in Norfolk.

I don't think we're going to be counting on him as a platoon guy with Mancini at DH. Likely, Washington will be getting everyday AB's in AAA.

Our depth signings did not pan out in AAA and AA last year and the records showed. This guy should be an improvement over what Joey Terdoslavich provided us last year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2016 at 5:59 PM, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles signed six-year minor league free agent David Washington today. At 6-foot-5, 260 pounds, the 26-year old is a huge presence in the lineup and could possibly compete for a platoon portion of the DH next season if the Orioles don't resign Trumbo or Alvarez. He slashed .276/.380/.532/.913 against right-handers last season mostly at AAA, but has plenty of miss in his bat striking out 108 times in 363 PAs against those right-handers. He basically strike out every other PA against lefties so he's a platoon guy only.

At worse he'll get an opportunity to hit against right-handers at Norfolk next year and be some left-handed hitting DH depth. He's played some corner outfield besides 1B, but judging by his stats I'm guessing he's a DH.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=washin003dav

To those of you  who have nothing better to do, here's a radio interview with the big guy.  Sounds like a guy ya wanna root for to make it to the big leagues.  Don't see how he fits on the O's, but things can change, ya never know.

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=1125962083&sid=milb

On 11/21/2016 at 6:10 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

How many of those have we had over the years? McClouth, Pearce, Trumbo, O'day, Brach, the Vanimal. Anyone else?

Two different types of players...

Fringe players who peak:  Pearce, Brach, Vanimal

Former highly productive players (or all stars) who are undervalued: Nelson, McLouth, Trumbo

This signing is the former, which he much less successful with.  The latter signings  usually come end of February unless they are trades.

Archived