Orioles' Roster Uncertain Entering Non-Tender Deadline

PressBoxOnline

Flaherty is a lock to stay. People keep saying his salary. But a replacement would cost the MLB min. For the whole year anyways. Plus a guy like Corban Joseph wouldnt have left if there was going to be open competition for that spot. 

Worley is a tough call. He was huge value to us over the first three months before we had any type of rotation. He ate a bunch of key innings and helped protect the A squad relievers. His role diminished once we got Hunter and the rotation settled in. If we could get rid of one of Miley, ubaldo and gallrdo, then Worley would have value in the pen. Now he would be a high paid long man and kill our flexibility. 

I could see us trading him in a minor move before the non tender deadline. Don't expect much back. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Flaherty is a lock to stay. People keep saying his salary. But a replacement would cost the MLB min. For the whole year anyways. Plus a guy like Corban Joseph wouldnt have left if there was going to be open competition for that spot. 

Worley is a tough call. He was huge value to us over the first three months before we had any type of rotation. He ate a bunch of key innings and helped protect the A squad relievers. His role diminished once we got Hunter and the rotation settled in. If we could get rid of one of Miley, ubaldo and gallrdo, then Worley would have value in the pen. Now he would be a high paid long man and kill our flexibility. 

I could see us trading him in a minor move before the non tender deadline. Don't expect much back. 

I'd offer Worley a contract.  I could see a team willing to pay him $3.3M.  He could hold value through ST.  Hopefully they can move one of Ubaldo or Gallardo.

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd keep him because we'd send more on Tommy Hunter than the Vanimal. 

4 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

You're correct most of the time. Last year, Tommy signed a $4 million deal with the Indians, and the Vanimal is projected to cost us $3.3 this year. 

Hunter, whose deal is worth $2 million, is currently rehabbing from core-muscle surgery he underwent earlier this offseason. He will also earn $100,000 bonuses for 25 and 30 games pitched, and $200,000 bonuses for reaching 40, 45 and 50 games, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/164388762/cleveland-indians-sign-rhp-tommy-hunter/

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Worley would probably get more than $3.3 mil on the open market.  His value goes up even more if the MLB roster expands to 26 players, as many teams would be expected to add a long relief man.

He might but you can get a Hunter for 2M + incentives.

Is Vanimal worth the extra 1.3?

I would let TJ walk.  No sense in having him tie down a roster spot and 700 K.  He's your last bullpen arm if he even makes the team.  Very replaceable.  

I want as much payroll flexibility as possible, so I would probably to non-tender all three guys.  Flaherty played so seldomly last season anyway.  He's not worth the 4 mil or whatever he ends up costing.  Every mil matters for us. 

Archived