Chris Carter

Go_Os

Chris Carter was non-tendered by the Brewers today.  He hit .221, .321, .499 (.822 OPS) with 41 Home Runs in 2016, so if Trumbo leaves he might be someone to consider.  Nelson Cruz and Trumbo have come to Baltimore on 1 year deals and had great seasons(leading to a big contract), so we definitely have a good track record with helping sluggers rebuild their value.  I guess that Mancini is the default option to replace Trumbo, but Carter is an interesting option.

Carter and Alvarez could be a potential platoon at DH. But it'll probably cost 14-15 million a year. To me this is why Mancini is more valuable than the 11th best prospect in our system. 

He could platoon with Pedro Alvarez at DH and cost 5-6 million less than a guy like Carter. 

We could get crazy here and put Davis is RF and have Carter play 1B.  

2 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Trumbo and Cruz were already good hitters. Chris Carter is more like Mark Reynolds. 

Cruz was and is a great hitter. Trumbo and Carter are pretty similar with the big difference being that Trumbo hits for a higher average, while Carter draws more walks. That being said...I don't think either of them are great fits for this team. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Carter and Alvarez could be a potential platoon at DH. But it'll probably cost 14-15 million a year. To me this is why Mancini is more valuable than the 11th best prospect in our system. 

He could platoon with Pedro Alvarez at DH and cost 5-6 million less than a guy like Carter. 

We could get crazy here and put Davis is RF and have Carter play 1B.  

Considering how often Buck played Bourn down the stretch, I don't think he wants another 1B playing RF this year. 

He could certainly help replace some of the lost Trumbo HRs. But on a team with Chris Davis he'd be a DH-only player. I think the ideal would be to find a way for more DH flexibility. There would be a lot of benefits to not having a full time DH. Buck could rest his regulars more often, easier to get Mancini in the lineup, easier to keep Kim in the lineup with a better fielding OF, etc.

But if they can't find a good enough way to solve the LF/RF/DH question with more flexibility, then then I could see them signing Carter (or Alvarez again) as a full time DH option, and that wouldn't be the worst thing. 

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

But if they can't find a good enough way to solve the LF/RF/DH question with more flexibility, then then I could see them signing Carter (or Alvarez again) as a full time DH option, and that wouldn't be the worst thing. 

I would say it's more important to get quality ABs from your DH position -- DH flexibility doesn't do much if they don't hit as DHs.  The biggest question for me is, would Trey Mancini provide good RH DH plate appearances at a fraction of a free agent's cost?  I don't know, but we're probably going to find that out.  He certainly has power.

If we miss out on Trumbo, then signing a guy like Carter to play 1B isn't a bad idea.  Of course Davis would have to play RF.  Carter at 1B and Pedro Alvarez at DH.  With Mancini getting AB's at 1B and DH.  

I think Trumbo stays.  He and MLB knows his power plays up in OPACY and the AL East parks.  But if we miss out on, it will be cheaper to find a 1B than a RF'er.  That's where Chris Davis to RF comes into play.  

Archived