Angel Pagan is not the answer for the O's

wildcard

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Camden Chat (I think that's what it's called) had an write up about Chris Coghlan.  He was awful for half a season in Oakland, but could be a Duquette buy low/Showalter out-opportunity guy.  I'd add him to El Gordo's list of Jay, Joyce, and Pagan.

If you carry Coghlan, you could also get by without carrying Flaherty.

Can Coghlan play as many positions as Flaherty can?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Can Coghlan play as many positions as Flaherty can?

He doesn't play shortstop.  But he can play the corner OF, corner IF, and 2B.  Then you have Manny who can slide over to short.  You have an extra position there to hide a rule V guy.

Dan added Kim, Gallardo, Rickard, Trumbo, Pedro Alvaezcand Worley last off season.  He add Miley during the season.  He added Bundy, Hart, Willson and Wright from the farm.  All these players were 30 or younger.  I don't see him changing this off season.  Nor should he.

16 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

He doesn't play shortstop.  But he can play the corner OF, corner IF, and 2B.  Then you have Manny who can slide over to short.  You have an extra position there to hide a rule V guy.

Then I don't see him replacing Ryan. Ryan can also backup 3rd. So who backs up third? Sorry, Davis isn't more than an emergency 3rd.

Again, nothing more than my opinion.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Dan added Kim, Gallardo, Rickard, Trumbo, Pedro Alvaezcand Worley last off season.  He add Miley during the season.  He added Bundy, Hart, Willson and Wright from the farm.  All these players were 30 or younger.  I don't see him changing this off season.  Nor should he.

I don't think I understand what you are trying to say here.  Are you saying that they won't bring in anybody over 30 into the organization in 2017?  Duquette brought back O'Day, and acquired Duensing, Pearce, and Bourn last year.

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

Camden Chat (I think that's what it's called) had an write up about Chris Coghlan.  He was awful for half a season in Oakland, but could be a Duquette buy low/Showalter out-opportunity guy.  I'd add him to El Gordo's list of Jay, Joyce, and Pagan.

If you carry Coghlan, you could also get by without carrying Flaherty.

Flaherty has played over 2,500 innings in the IF while Coughlan has played around 450, none of them at SS.  As much as I would like to upgrade Flaherty's bat, I don't see Coughlan as the answer.  

Jay and Pagan would be good choices for the OF IMO.  I agree with the theory that win-now is the primary concern.

33 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I don't think I understand what you are trying to say here.  Are you saying that they won't bring in anybody over 30 into the organization in 2017?  Duquette brought back O'Day, and acquired Duensing, Pearce, and Bourn last year.

In general I think Dan tries to add younger players to the organization over the winter.  He will extend  players that are older if he thinks they are key players like O'Day.   He sees if the young players can  contribute in the majors.  If they do they get bigger roles.  If the don't Dan replaces them mid season. Wilson and Wright did not make it as starters last year.  Mid season Miley and Bundy replaced them in the rotation.  Pearce was add because Reimold was not producing and  Rickard was injured.  Bourn was added when the roster expanded.  

Do I think the O's will add any over 30 players this off season.  Yes, probably someone to share time with Caleb at catcher.   But the outfielders and pen players added I think will be 30 or younger.  Just like last year.

I think Dan will pull off a trade that includes a reliever (not Britton) and minor leaguers.  Dan uses the minor leaguers, draft picks when he can, and International bonus picks to supplement the team along with the Rule 5 draft, some FA in Feb and the waiver wire.  Just my observation.

I like the idea of just retaining the guys we finished the season with. Re-sign;

Bourn 1/1

Pearce 2/10

Alvarez 2/14

Those aren't sexy new names but we can win with that. Have Mancini platoon with Pedro at DH. Rickard will be back. Maybe draft a rule 5 OF'er. Improve our OF depth in the minors. 

Make a run at Trumbo, but don't handcuff the franchise going forward. 

Im fine going with what is above and seeing if someone falls to us late in FA. 

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like the idea of just retaining the guys we finished the season with. Re-sign;

Bourn 1/1

Pearce 2/10

Alvarez 2/14

Those aren't sexy new names but we can win with that. Have Mancini platoon with Pedro at DH. Rickard will be back. Maybe draft a rule 5 OF'er. Improve our OF depth in the minors. 

That makes sense in the short term, but using Mancini as Danny Valencia on the weak side of a platoon would really inhibit his long term potential. He might get only 150 ABs with no meaningful innings in the field. I would rather have him repeat AAA and use him as trade bait, honestly.

I'm not opposed to bringing back Bourn, Pearce and Alvarez, but the problem is too many players. You need to carry a back up OF and back up infielder. So you bring back Bourn/Pearce to platoon in RF and have Alvarez/Mancini platooning at DH. If you do that, Rickard has to go to Triple-A and you need Kim to play against LHP unless the new CBA includes a 26th roster spot. 

3 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I'm not opposed to bringing back Bourn, Pearce and Alvarez, but the problem is too many players. You need to carry a back up OF and back up infielder. So you bring back Bourn/Pearce to platoon in RF and have Alvarez/Mancini platooning at DH. If you do that, Rickard has to go to Triple-A and you need Kim to play against LHP unless the new CBA includes a 26th roster spot. 

Both Bourn and Joey are good 4th OF. One will always be on the bench to come in late or for injury Let Mancini be full time DH.

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

That makes sense in the short term, but using Mancini as Danny Valencia on the weak side of a platoon would really inhibit his long term potential. He might get only 150 ABs with no meaningful innings in the field. I would rather have him repeat AAA and use him as trade bait, honestly.

I think that's about all we can hope Mancini becomes. Tony's writeup suggests it too.

He's not a great prospect in a weak system. He doesn't have much trade value.

Archived