Buster Olney: Orioles Hire Andy McPhail as COO! Girardi Appears Next!

33rd&Ellerslie

The only explanation is that McPhail will take on a greater role in personnel decisions and any blowup will be spearheaded and approved him.

I'm not sure how good this is yet. I dont know how familiar he is with the players yet to decide on who to keep and get rid of. Also I'm not sure how this arrangement will work out with any new GMs we would look for.

Maybe the new two headed FO is McPhail as a COO with more baseball decision making powers than Foss and a to be determined later GM that handles more of the day to day personnel management and communication with other clubs.

Why is the only explanation is that MacPhail will take on a greater role in personnel decisions? Since he's replacing Joe Foss, Foss didn't have that much say in personnel matters...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If and When Girardi comes in, the next move is to fire F&D. I agree that MacPhail is here to take an already vacated position, but now it is time to make moves and those moves should not be left in the hands of the two that assembled this mess.

I am not sure how to see it, but would leaving Falnny and Duquette in for the remainder of the season decrease our ability to negotiate favorable trades since they would obviously be lame ducks? Would it make more sense to bring in a new GM now and let he and MacPhail start assembling the pieces for the future? Didn't Kansas City do that mid year with Dayton Moore? Just speculation and wanted some opinions

How did Olney get the information? Someone had to be sloppy.

Thery want you to believe that. They are trying to orchestrate this but remember with this team, they seldom do anything right.

Why would they leave the dualing GMs in place? Why was Maz forced to keep the coaches? Why? Why? Why? Because they are Pete's Orioles!

My question is when do we get OUR Orioles back??? Does Pete finally get it or will be back at this point next season??

Does this get you back in the ball park later this season?

I want to believe and have the faith that some of you have. I really do.

Why is the only explanation is that MacPhail will take on a greater role in personnel decisions? Since he's replacing Joe Foss, Foss didn't have that much say in personnel matters...

But it's hard to imagine a baseball guy like MacPhail taking on this job with a caviat that he keep his hands off of DF.

I hope that if they do indeed fire Perlozzo today, they let him know before it got leaked to the press about McPhail working on talking to Girardi.

Very good point.

While I want Perlozzo gone as much as anyone, I certainly do not wish ill of the man. If he found out his job was in trouble by listening to the radio this morning it would be considered a huge slap in the face. He deserves better than that.

I still think he would make an outstanding bench coach and I do hope we can keep him in the organization. Sammy is definitely an Oriole through and through.

Girardi has been on the O's radar for a month.

I'm sure he has, but I haven't seen anywhere in the papers where any of the high ranking Orioles officials have said anything about Giardi.

I'm just trying to say that it's not a big deal that his name has been mentioned in connection with the Orioles by Olney.

Who knows if Olney got this info from Giardi's group or the Orioles. Either way it doesn't matter. If the guy wants to sign and we offer what he wants then he'll be manager if not then he won't. The fact he's been publicly connected with the Orioles doesn't make a difference in negotiations.

Guest oriofan8

Could PA be taking a step back into the shadows...so to speak...and allow a "baseball mind" the opportunity to run the business ? I agree with those that think Flanny AND Duqette are ONE too many, and if Sam goes, so goes Flanny.

Could PA be taking a step back into the shadows...so to speak...and allow a "baseball mind" the opportunity to run the business ? I agree with those that think Flanny AND Duqette are ONE too many, and if Sam goes, so goes Flanny.

Why? Perlozzo was Angelos guy...

Very good point.

While I want Perlozzo gone as much as anyone, I certainly do not wish ill of the man. If he found out his job was in trouble by listening to the radio this morning it would be considered a huge slap in the face. He deserves better than that.

Does anyone remember when Altobelli was fired? He came into work on a Monday morning and the entire FO was down in DC at EBW's law office, meeting with Weaver. He supposedly asked the clerical staff, "Does anyone know if I still work here?" When no one did, he told them that if anyone wanted him, they'd find him at the track.

Archived