Non-Tenders

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

What's his story? Wasn't he injured last season?

Ross had thoracic outlet surgery at the end of October. 4 to 6 months is considered normal recovery/rehab time. I figure a conservative estimate would be the beginning of June. 

I wouldn't want to claim him off of waivers but sign him after he clears.

50 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

What's his story? Wasn't he injured last season?

CBS Sports:  Padres non-tender Tyson Ross, making him an intriguing free agent

It says his recovery is expected to be 4-6 months from his October surgery.  I'd definitely look at him, maybe stash him on DL or a rehab assignment at the start of the season.  He should be ready before long.

34 minutes ago, markakis8 said:

Also Wellington Castillo...cheap replacement for Wieters.

This would be an absolute disaster for Baltimore. Castillo is one of, if not thee, worst receivers in the game. There's a reason the Cubs dealt him when they had no one back there and Arizona did the same today. He's going to cost your pitching staff an enormous amount of calls.

2 hours ago, Larry18 said:

Ross had thoracic outlet surgery at the end of October. 4 to 6 months is considered normal recovery/rehab time. I figure a conservative estimate would be the beginning of June. 

I wouldn't want to claim him off of waivers but sign him after he clears.

As I understand it, he was non-tendered, making him a free agent.  No waivers.

8 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

This would be an absolute disaster for Baltimore. Castillo is one of, if not thee, worst receivers in the game. There's a reason the Cubs dealt him when they had no one back there and Arizona did the same today. He's going to cost your pitching staff an enormous amount of calls.

Where are you getting that from? He put up 2.8, 1.2, 0.1, and 1.4 dWAR the last four years. The last time Wieters put up 1.4 dWAR was 2011. 

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Where are you getting that from? He put up 2.8, 1.2, 0.1, and 1.4 dWAR the last four years. The last time Wieters put up 1.4 dWAR was 2011. 

Baseball Reference has a different set of dWAR numbers. Baseball Prospectus has him as one on the worst defensive catchers in each of the past 4 years, as measured by FRAA_ADJ.

I would absolutely go after Tyson Ross. As MLB Trade Rumors points out: "In 2015, he pitched 196 innings, with a 3.26 ERA, 3.9 BB/9 and an outstanding 9.7 K/9. He also has a career 56% ground ball rate." He's a guy who really gives you a chance to catch lightning in a bottle. But I imagine quite a few teams will be willing to give him an opportunity.

I think Ben Revere would be a great pickup as well. He just wasn't himself in 2016 because he struggled with an oblique injury. I see no reason he can't get back to the form he had before. I'd love to have a guy who can hit .300 and steal 40 bases at the top of the order. The only drawback is his terrible arm, which keeps him from being an option in right field, but his speed would be an asset in left and Kim could be primarily a DH with on-base abilities.

I would have no problem with Castillo either. He's not winning a Gold Glove or anything, but none of the other guys on the market are exactly Johnny Bench either. And he can hit. Apparently his pitch framing is a concern, but Wieters ranks pretty poorly in that respect as well.

I don't expect the Orioles to give too much thought to de la Rosa. He's dealing with elbow issues that might eventually require Tommy John. Of course I'd sign him for his potential, but it's not my money.

One really interesting non-tender was the Yankees' Jacob Lindgren, a lefty with a low 90s fastball and wicked slider. They took him in the 2nd round in 2014 and he blew through the minors, but ended up having arm problems. He eventually had Tommy John this year and will miss 2017, but has enormous potential. Mississippi State kid, too, so I'm sure Buck knows him well. Still, it's hard to imagine the Orioles signing an injured pitcher they have to wait a year on.

Archived