Jones Didn't Like Showalter's Decision or Ortiz' Gift

Legend_Of_Joey

I saw the post that Jones didn't care for the team gift to David Ortiz.  But didn't see this being discussed.  Regarding Showalter's decision, Jones recently commented on it and said in part:

"I can see both sides of it. He's our closer. When you're on the road, I think you wait to get that lead and then bring your closer in," said Jones. "But sometimes with a closer like ours, a unique closer like ours, he can go out and throw two or three innings. Me personally, I would have thrown him out there and let him go because he brings energy, too. He just doesn't go out and throw a 98-mph bowling ball. He brings energy to the dugout and the field."

Though Jones has spoken to Showalter many times this offseason, he didn't think it was worth asking his manager to expand on his reasons for the move.

"I didn't talk to him about that," Jones said. "That's like beating a dead horse. He knows. And with Showalter, you know that ain't going to happen again. He made the mistake once. It will never happen again."

Complete article:

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/news/article/210137246/adam-jones-on-zach-britton-buck-showalter/

Is Jones out of line?

20 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I know this is a message board, but this post and the Ortiz post just seemed to be meant to stir up drama and the past. Who cares. Both situations are over and done with. Let's move on and focus on the present. I'm sure Jones, Buck and Ortiz have. 

I think enough regular posters care enough to keep this topic going at least until the end of next season.  At least intermittently.  It was a pretty epic fail on Showalter's part.

It wouldn't be a complete offseason without a Jones quote or Tweet stirring up some controversy. In the same article Jones talked about how he mows the lawn at Buck's residence in Baltimore. Buck pretty much admitted the mistake as well. I don't see this causing a problem.

Seems like this is just a slow offseason story.  I'm sure Adam felt this way directly after both incidents.  Just something saved up for a headline when there is nothing else to write about.  Jones is a smart open guy.  If you want a quote for a headline grabbing article, he'll give one to you.  

Other questions they could have asked him and got pretty good, honest responses from;

How do you feel seeing guys test the FA market when you took a team friendly deal and committed to the franchise?

Have you tried talking MW into staying?

Should the organization extend Machado, Schoop, Britton, Tillman?

How do you feel that Machado didn't make Team USA and now you will be competing against him in the WBC?

First off, Jones is my favorite Oriole since Ripken. 

Now....I see I'm in the minority here....but I don't care for it.

I see this the same as a locker room issue.....you can disagree behind closed doors, but you don't talk about it. I understand he's a "special type of character" and a veteran....blah blah blah.....but he runs his mouth too much in my opinion.  Actually, it's NOT that he runs his mouth too much so much as he doesn't think about what he's saying before he says it.  I also particularly didn't care for and disagree with a few of his comments about Kaepernick also.....calling baseball a "white man's sport" and saying that the flag represents social injustice. 

At this point, he's a media target because he has no filter.

Also, Jones never said he "didn't like Showalter's decision".  So I feel that this thread is a perfect example of why I wish he would think before he speaks sometimes....because of the inevitable twisting that occurs afterwards. 

In the article THAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT he said he understood it...."I can see both sides of it"...."me, personally, I would have thrown him out there."  He didn't say he "didn't like it".  

There's a clear difference between not agreeing with something and not liking something.  So why isn't the thread titled "Jones didn't agree with Showalter's decision"?

9 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

First off, Jones is my favorite Oriole since Ripken. 

Now....I see I'm in the minority here....but I don't care for it.

I see this the same as a locker room issue.....you can disagree behind closed doors, but you don't talk about it. I understand he's a "special type of character" and a veteran....blah blah blah.....but he runs his mouth too much in my opinion.  Actually, it's NOT that he runs his mouth too much so much as he doesn't think about what he's saying before he says it.  I also particularly didn't care for and disagree with a few of his comments about Kaepernick also.....calling baseball a "white man's sport" and saying that the flag represents social injustice. 

At this point, he's a media target because he has no filter.

LOL, do you know the skewed views that professional athletes have on life?  Jones is a smart guy that does a ton of charity work that actually matters.  Please don't compare him to Kapernick.  Watch athletes for entertainment, they all aren't hero's.  Except Jones probably should be to a lot of kids.  

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

LOL, do you know the skewed views that professional athletes have on life?  Jones is a smart guy that does a ton of charity work that actually matters.  Please don't compare him to Kapernick.  Watch athletes for entertainment, they all aren't hero's.  Except Jones probably should be to a lot of kids.  

I have no idea what you're rambling about.  At no point did I compare him to Kaepernick. Never happened. I said I didn't agree with some of his comments that he made about Kaepernick....this thread is about Jones making comments and ultimately, as the OP asked "Is Jones out of line?" 

Again, I did not compare them in any way, shape or form.

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I know this is a message board, but this post and the Ortiz post just seemed to be meant to stir up drama and the past. Who cares. Both situations are over and done with. Let's move on and focus on the present. I'm sure Jones, Buck and Ortiz have. 

I was just posting some news that popped up, meant to stir up a discussion. Did I do it to stir up drama? All you have to do is mention "Ortiz" to an Orioles fan and that will happen anyway.

Was Jones out of line for this comment and for his criticism of Buck for the Britton decision? Eh. He has started to become more outspoken about stuff recently, but still does a lot of work in the community and charities. He also had a quote taken out of context before. I just think this time, he was talking to talk, based on the fact he was asked this question.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I was just posting some news that popped up, meant to stir up a discussion. Did I do it to stir up drama? All you have to do is mention "Ortiz" to an Orioles fan and that will happen anyway.

Was Jones out of line for this comment and for his criticism of Buck for the Britton decision? Eh. He has started to become more outspoken about stuff recently, but still does a lot of work in the community and charities. He also had a quote taken out of context before. I just think this time, he was talking to talk, based on the fact he was asked this question.

Amen. Jones is a leader and a good man. Many alt-righters don't like him because he acknowledges that racism is still very real in baseball and elsewhere. They live in a bubble because since they don't see, it must not be real. 

I love AJ despite what some board members say about him. He's a leader.

These ego stroking, retirement tours and their expectations of other teams lavishing gifts upon them need to end.   And I don't care that they did it for Cal.  They didn't do it for Brooks or Frank or any of the superstars of the past.   David Ortiz is a narcissistic, preening jerk.  Always has been and his boorish reaction to the process (rather than humor or class) is just confirmation.  I am really, really glad that he is gone.  Adam Jones is a wonderful Oriole and a class act.  Why he gives two cents about what David Ortiz thinks is just because there is a club among baseball stars and nobody wants to offend anybody else in the club.   I would have loved to have seen Adam tell David where he could stuff the telephone if he didn't want it, but then that is probably an unfair expectation on my part of Adam.  

Archived