Orioles talking extension with Tillman

ArtVanDelay

19 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Since they don't like 5 year deals, will it be a 3 year extension? 4/52m get it done?

I don't think that's close.  Chris gets 4 or 5 years approaching 100 mil.  Look what Jordan Zimmerman made last year.  That's the going rate for a no. 2 starter.  

32 minutes ago, backwardsk said:
20 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Tough to gauge Tillman's market. I don't think he's as good a pitcher as Jordan Zimmermann was at the time he signed with Detroit. So that's too high. But 4/52 is certainly too low. I could see something like 4/72. 

4/72 is good for both sides. 

4/60 LMAO. Keep dreaming. 

Oh that's right "not an ace". I forgot. Go take a gander at what "not an ace" gets these days. It aint 15m. 37 year old Rich freaking Hill just got 16m. We have closers getting 15.5m. And you think Tilly will be similar? He should be around 11m/20m/20m/20m/20m or 5/91ish. Maybe a little more. Of course we will no doubt offer him 3/40 with half of it deferred out of the gate, so I'm sure we have a long way to go to get anything done.

I'm guessing this is just the setup to cry about how DD overpaid, is a terrible GM, and on and on when he gets something like those numbers. Because you can't possibly think a #2 is worth 4/60 one year of arb left or not. Impossible.

1 hour ago, crawjo said:

Tough to gauge Tillman's market. I don't think he's as good a pitcher as Jordan Zimmermann was at the time he signed with Detroit. So that's too high. But 4/52 is certainly too low. I could see something like 4/72. 

Sounds about right, but salary inflation might drive it up a little, and a 5th year is likely based on Tillman's age.  There's risk, but Tillman has won for us.   I'd pay the man.  

Didn't Tillman want Porcello money back in 2014 when we last were talking extension with him.  With two arb years remaining he wanted 4/82.5, what Porcello got after the 2014 season.  

Tillman struggled in 2015 and we didn't hear contract extension talks.  Then had a big first 3/4 of the year this year.  He'll be 30 when his FA contract starts.  I see him wanting at least 5/100 if he has a good year this year.  I think we missed the boat on him.  

We're in a tough spot with several guys.  What to do?  We're past the point of getting team friendly extensions with Brach, Britton, Manny, Tillman, Kim and they are all about to be FA's.  Learn from this and lock up Schoop and Gausman now.  

Archived