Orioles told Bautista's reps...Orioles fans don't like him

Dark Helmet

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Toronto got incredibly good deals on Bautista and Encarnacion.  They paid Bautista $79 mm over the last six years, and by fangraphs' reckoning he's been worth about $204 mm in that window (he could have been a free agent after the first of those six years).   They paid Encarnacion $43 mm in those six years (again, he could have been a free agent after the first of those) and he's been worth $156 mm in that time.   Combined, that's $360 mm in value for $122 mm in cost.   

It's interesting to see the Blue Jays taking their winnings on these two players and not doubling down.    That's probably the smart play, but it'll probably be a long time before they get excess value like that again from veteran players.     

Good points. But (and this is only my opinion) considering both Joey Bats and EE probably had some assistance and  weren't as talented naturally as the numbers show, I think they did alright financially. 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Good points. But (and this is only my opinion) considering both Joey Bats and EE probably had some assistance and  weren't as talented naturally as the numbers show, I think they did alright financially. 

I'm not feeling bad for any of these guys.   They'll be able to scrape by.    But you can imagine that Joey is probably a bit frustrated at signing away his prime relatively cheaply and then having a relatively poor, injury-riddled walk year that is preventing him from cashing in on his past success.    

My other point is, what does it mean for Toronto that they're no longer going to have the tremendous benefits of those two cheap contracts?     They might get their $33 mm worth out of Morales the next three years, but they're not going to get $75-100 mm as they did from each of Bautista and Encarnacion in the last 3.   (Well, they do have Donaldson super-cheap for two more years.)

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not feeling bad for any of these guys.   They'll be able to scrape by.    But you can imagine that Joey is probably a bit frustrated at signing away his prime relatively cheaply and then having a relatively poor, injury-riddled walk year that is preventing him from cashing in on his past success.    

My other point is, what does it mean for Toronto that they're no longer going to have the tremendous benefits of those two cheap contracts?     They might get their $33 mm worth out of Morales the next three years, but they're not going to get $75-100 mm as they did from each of Bautista and Encarnacion in the last 3.   (Well, they do have Donaldson super-cheap for two more years.)

I agree with you. Joey's only choice is to take a 1 year deal with Toronto for less than the QO, and hope he has a monster year. I really don't understand why a team like Boston isn't in on him. They can just buy an international prospect to make up for a loss of a draft pick. 

8 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I agree with you. Joey's only choice is to take a 1 year deal with Toronto for less than the QO, and hope he has a monster year. I really don't understand why a team like Boston isn't in on him. They can just buy an international prospect to make up for a loss of a draft pick. 

Can they?    It's not that simple under the new CBA.   

21 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

They don't want to get the luxury tax hit.  That's why they settled on Moreland instead of Encarnacion.

5 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Brian Roberts says they are nowhere close to the qualifying offer now. 

5 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

A monster year at age 37 gets you another 15 million dollar deal. FOR ONE YEAR.

6 hours ago, backwardsk said:

They don't want to get the luxury tax hit.  That's why they settled on Moreland instead of Encarnacion.

If that's true, are they going to start trading off guys like Betts, Bradley, and Bogarts once they get expensive? They stuck owe Sandoval, Price, and Porcello alot of money. 

Archived