The Market Will Come To Dan

Camden_yardbird

It already is.  He doesn't have to jump out on a specific free agent at COF or DH, there are options.  He doesn't have to trade a reliever yet.

Detroit has been in sell mode all off season.  Now the White Sox and Royals have joined them, the latter to a lesser extent.  Hell, even two contending teams the Mets and Pirates have OF to spare. Add Gardner to that mix.

JD Martinez, a guy Detroit has to move if the narrative on their budget is to be believed, saw his trade value plummet with the new CBA where the team trading for him may get a 3rd round pick instead of a first.  A cautionary tale for Boston.

Trumbo's market vanished.  Colorado got their guy, the Mariners are content with what they have.  The Astros may be the only ones lurking for a DH type. Encarnacion vastly misinterpreted his market.  He's a guy who could be looking at a one year deal to grow value in the new CBA.

Someone is still going to be a bullpen loser.  Jansen and Chapman will go somewhere and someone will be looking for a workhorse like Brach.

I am not a huge fan of this strategy, it forces the team to hope something can come together but this year more than most it looks like Duquette may benefit from the wait and see approach.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree.  Pearce signing early scares me though.  I think if we wanted him at 2/12 he would have stayed.  That tells me we know he can't play the OF with his injury history.  

Our bullpen will become targeted by GM's that don't want to spend 90 million on Chapman and Jansen.

Trumbo's market is drying up.  Nobody is beating down Pedro Alvarez's door to DH for them.

We know the routine.  This doesn't bother me.  I just want the big moves to happen so then ours will.  

4 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Translation: "I'm fine waiting for other teams to complete smart transactions that actually improve their team while Duquette exhibits his ineptness and the fact that he thinks it's still 1998."

The Orioles have been playing pretty well for five years.  If that's inept, I hope it continues.  Perhaps it isn't DD that thinks we're still in the past. 

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

We'll overpay for the last free agent standing.... the one guy no one else in all of baseball wants

Can't wait to see who that is this year

By that theory, we'll probably end up in the playoffs again like we have in 3 of the last 5 years.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

By that theory, we'll probably end up in the playoffs again like we have in 3 of the last 5 years.

Works for me.

I have trouble understanding the negativity about this team.

Granted most are too young to have gone through 14 years of hell.

But, I can't image how they would react to a real losing team, year after year, if they are so unhappy now.

I wouldn't give DD all the credit for this teams success these last 5 years, the same way he doesn't deserve all of the criticism.  I honestly don't know what direction we are going? Are we locking up key guys and filling in here n there, or are we just going to keep going with what's works and when problems like resigning players comes up just deal with it the last moment. Machado, Britton, Tillman problem is slowly creeping along.    

43 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Our big FA signings used to be Atkins, Millwood, Tracshel, Hentgen(if only he doesn't get hurt), Raffy(40), Vlad(40), jamie walker, Baez and others.  Wow that was sad.  

The funny thing is, Flanagan and J. Duquette were ahead of their time in signing three relievers rather than a starter.    They just picked the wrong guys, as it turned out.   

1 hour ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Translation: "I'm fine waiting for other teams to complete smart transactions that actually improve their team while Duquette exhibits his ineptness and the fact that he thinks it's still 1998."

57 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

14 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Again I ask: how many World Series have we won in this time period?

Stevie,  you set a pretty high bar, and I approve.  But this is not apples to oranges.  DD may or may not be your cup of tea as GM, but he is simply not inept.  Of course, he hasn't won a WS for us either.

But we have to hang in the success bucket long enough to win one.  What exactly would you have the O's do?  Personally, I have previously said, I like Fowler and I like Carlos Gomez who is about to agree to a 1 yr $11.5 MM deal to stay in Texas.  I would not spend on Trumbo.  We need more than HR's. 

So, in summary, turn up the heat on DD to bring the Orioles a World Series Crown.  But, that can be done without references to inept.  Which he aint.

Edit to add:

Your subsequent posts as I typed mine are even more out of line.

6 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Because he isn't good at his job and, relative to the other executives, isn't smart.

Lol wut? Started drinking early today I take it?

IIRC, we have the best record in the AL over the last 5 years and we've reached the playoffs 3 times in that span. Prrrrretty sure that qualifies as "good at his job."

14 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Again I ask: how many World Series have we won in this time period?

I agree. Let's think like a Saban or a Bellichick. It isn't about making the playoffs it is about taking the next step and advancing to the WS. 

Archived