The Market Will Come To Dan

Camden_yardbird

We need power in this division.  You can always go to defense in September when you have a 40 man roster.  We saw that last year.  Our recipe for success is to not give away outs on offense.  Homer.  Hope that we have the lead in the 6th inning and then shut you down with a great bullpen.  

Is Fowler the perfect fit?  YES, but he was last year too.  You guys have Fowler taste and Chris Carter money to spend.  I'd be happy with this:

Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Ubaldo, Miley

Britton, Brach, O'day, Givens, Hart, Drake, Gallardo

1. Granderson/Melky/Pagan RF

2. Kim LF (Rickard vs LHP)

3. Machado 3B

4. Davis 1B

5. Jones RF

6. Pedro Alvarez(Carter vs. LHP)

7. Schoop

8. Hardy

9. Joseph

Backup C, Rickard, Flaherty, C.Carter

Let's go mash. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I agree. Let's think like a Saban or a Bellichick. It isn't about making the playoffs it is about taking the next step and advancing to the WS. 

Again, this line of thinking is great.  Except...Saban didn't win in Miami and Belichick didn't win in Cleveland.  You kind of have to build a program and then become a winner.  Alabama is the NY Yankees and well so are the Patriots.  I agree, it is time to hold the O's to more than being in the hunt.  But the hill from here, while steep is a far, FAR cry from the precipice from which we have already climbed. 

28 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Because he isn't good at his job and, relative to the other executives, isn't smart.

The 29 other GM's are playing chess, while Duquette is over in the other room playing the wooden peg game from Cracker Barrel, wondering why he can't finish the game with fewer than 5 pegs still on the board.

If your measure of success is the WS how many of those 29 other GM's have won it in the last 5 years? I count 4 so then Dan IS just as dumb as the other 25 GM's I realize this is a fool's errand because you are a troll.

The answer to your question Stevie is three.  That would be 1966, 1970 and 1983.  You could look it up!  :)  And you are taking DD's comments way too literally.  He is not likely near as surprised as his comments about price...this year or last.  You don't really think ANY of these guys answer with 100% veracity do you.  We agree on much here though.  I want a pick for Trumbo and hope we sign someone else.  Gomez is gone and I would gladly swap a pick for Fowler.

35 minutes ago, Justinlstn said:

I wouldn't give DD all the credit for this teams success these last 5 years, the same way he doesn't deserve all of the criticism.  I honestly don't know what direction we are going? Are we locking up key guys and filling in here n there, or are we just going to keep going with what's works and when problems like resigning players comes up just deal with it the last moment. Machado, Britton, Tillman problem is slowly creeping along.    

This definitely a huge concern.  I think they are playing a dangerous game.  They are waiting for the GUM to get unstuck from the payroll and use that money for extensions.  But some of these young guys might be getting too close to the end of the tunnel for that to work.  

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The funny thing is, Flanagan and J. Duquette were ahead of their time in signing three relievers rather than a starter.    They just picked the wrong guys, as it turned out.   

Remember also when Duquette took over and his first draft or two was college reliever after college reliever and everyone was scratching their head.  Now I am kind of wondering where those guys are, but right idea.  Drake was one of those guys.

The real fear I have is whether this strategy ever yields a WS.  I know a lot of people say the playoffs is about catching lighting in a bottle but at the same time I think sometimes fortune favors the bold who know what they want and go get it.  that allows them to dictate a strategy as opposed to buildingredients a strategy around what you were able to cobble together.  Without Buck I don't think this works.

I still think the ultimate FU to the Sox and their fans will be competing with them all season if Dan can bring around a good buy low off season again.

10 teams make the playoffs now.  It's a crap shoot now. All you have to do is get in.  DD has done that 3 times the last 5 years.  How many teams have won the winter meetings recently and then didn't make the playoffs?  The blue jays, diamondbacks and angels all made great moves and then did nothing.  

In 2014, how could DD have predicted that we were going to lose Machado, Davis and MW?  We still made the ALCS.  Everyone killed us for the Andrew Miller trade.  DD was pretty smart that year.  We just ran into a hot KC team.  

Waiting for the market to come to him didn't work so well last year. At this point last year, we were preparing to bid against ourselves and go all in on Davis. Then, after all the pitchers signed elsewhere, out of desperation we overpaid for Gallardo, even after he failed the physical. I guess we are waiting for the next Gallardo.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The funny thing is, Flanagan and J. Duquette were ahead of their time in signing three relievers rather than a starter.    They just picked the wrong guys, as it turned out.   

The wrong relievers and they wildly overestimated the overall quality of their team. That team wouldn't have done much better even if those three guys had lived up to their paychecks IMO.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Waiting for the market to come to him didn't work so well last year. At this point last year, we were preparing to bid against ourselves and go all in on Davis. Then, after all the pitchers signed elsewhere, out of desperation we overpaid for Gallardo, even after he failed the physical. I guess we are waiting for the next Gallardo.

I was pleased when Hellickson accepted the QO.

We all want the Orioles to win a World Series, but if that's your only criteria for a GM to be successful then that's pretty rough if you ask me. Me, I want the Orioles to play meaningful baseball late in September and be a fun team to watch. I may not always agree on how Duquette does things, but the results are clear, and the Orioles have met my criteria for success 3 and you argue 4 out of the last five years under Duquette. 

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

It already is.  He doesn't have to jump out on a specific free agent at COF or DH, there are options.  He doesn't have to trade a reliever yet.

Detroit has been in sell mode all off season.  Now the White Sox and Royals have joined them, the latter to a lesser extent.  Hell, even two contending teams the Mets and Pirates have OF to spare. Add Gardner to that mix.

JD Martinez, a guy Detroit has to move if the narrative on their budget is to be believed, saw his trade value plummet with the new CBA where the team trading for him may get a 3rd round pick instead of a first.  A cautionary tale for Boston.

Trumbo's market vanished.  Colorado got their guy, the Mariners are content with what they have.  The Astros may be the only ones lurking for a DH type. Encarnacion vastly misinterpreted his market.  He's a guy who could be looking at a one year deal to grow value in the new CBA.

Someone is still going to be a bullpen loser.  Jansen and Chapman will go somewhere and someone will be looking for a workhorse like Brach.

I am not a huge fan of this strategy, it forces the team to hope something can come together but this year more than most it looks like Duquette may benefit from the wait and see approach.

Completely agree with this and it's something I've been thinking about for a couple weeks now.

Dan is the master at lying in the weeds and picking up the scraps for cheap. I think that strategy is going to pay off big this winter.

1 minute ago, isestrex said:

Completely agree with this and it's something I've been thinking about for a couple weeks now.

Dan is the master at lying in the weeds and picking up the scraps for cheap. I think that strategy is going to pay off big this winter.

I disagree, the free agent class is so weak this year that I don't think much will be left.

Archived