Orioles Officially sign Catcher Welington Castillo

Machado13

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree.  I'd give Encarnacion the 4/80 that Toronto allegedly took of the table.  I'd even give him the opt out after one year.  Trumbo was allegedly looking for 4/72+ from Colorado.  Minus well spend the extra money and get the guy that's been worth 3.6-5.0 WAR the last 5 seasons.  Then get a vet like Bourn or Crisp in here on the cheap.  

Now we know where we stand at C.  This team is already pretty complete.  The Sp's aren't great but they are locked into big deals and aren't going anywhere unless DD pulls off some magic.  The bullpen is great and locked in.  There's not too much left to do.  Just one big signing.  

Can he handle RF?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree.  I'd give Encarnacion the 4/80 that Toronto allegedly took of the table.  I'd even give him the opt out after one year.  Trumbo was allegedly looking for 4/72+ from Colorado.  Minus well spend the extra money and get the guy that's been worth 3.6-5.0 WAR the last 5 seasons.  Then get a vet like Bourn or Crisp in here on the cheap.  

Now we know where we stand at C.  This team is already pretty complete.  The Sp's aren't great but they are locked into big deals and aren't going anywhere unless DD pulls off some magic.  The bullpen is great and locked in.  There's not too much left to do.  Just one big signing.  

If he didn't take 4/80 from Toronto, why would he take it from us? It would take around 5/110 for him to come here. At least.

3 hours ago, esmd said:

Awesome.  Sounds like a win-win for both the team and the player.  I like Wieters, but no way he signs for that, and I honestly don't expect him to produce any more than Castillo should.  Nice move on paper.

BOTH of these things. Matt still might get a deal double what Castillo is getting. It's like that Verizon commercial where you pay double for 1% better. Can you hear me now?

3 hours ago, Moondoggie said:

I'm not sure it's a downgrade, really. Not much of one anyway. Wieters isn't the player he once was. But the fact is that, at least at this point, Wieters is almost certainly looking for a longer term deal (whether he gets that, we'll see). I think it's dangerous to sign a catcher in his 30s who has had Tommy John surgery to a multi-year deal. And, assuming Castillo picks up his option for 2018, you're getting two years of him from millions less than what Wieters cost you last year.

I hope that Castillo comes in and fits in well and then wants to come back next year. Best case scenario.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

He is cheaper.

In his 30s, Isn't he just 30?

I am not sure, there is really that much a of  occurrence of Tommy John in catchers. but thats just my own thoughts.

Matt did call games at GT and then he was the closer too. Nasty high heat. He hasn't done that in a while so his TJ days seem to be behind him.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want to pay seven million for a backup and my best case scenario has Sisco starting at catcher in 2018.

Sisco starting would be best case scenario but Wellington on a 2 year deal hedges against the worst case scenario, which would be Sisco flaming out and then no Plan B. Now our worst case scenario is Wellington is the starter and Sisco is brought along slowly as a backup or Sisco is the starter and Wellington is an expensive backup. Maybe he gets traded in that scenario and brings something back.  

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Sisco starting would be best case scenario but Wellington on a 2 year deal hedges against the worst case scenario, which would be Sisco flaming out and then no Plan B. Now our worst case scenario is Wellington is the starter and Sisco is brought along slowly as a backup or Sisco is the starter and Wellington is an expensive backup. Maybe he gets traded in that scenario and brings something back.  

I'm not complaining about the deal.

Archived