Orioles Officially sign Catcher Welington Castillo

Machado13

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I know it doesn't look right, but there is only one
L in Welington, as he spells it.

I actually put my reading glasses on and decided that I had missed an l when I spelled it at first! Thanks for the correction.  Consonants are one of the first things to get lost on the journey across the ocean.  Although, I suppose that doesn't explain the New Zealand City.

6 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

....Or an objective external evaluation of the current Wieters.

I assume we get Wellington cheaper.  Plus the joy of calling our catcher Wellington.

Castillo may not be the next coming of Johnny Bench behind the plate, but he throws out a lot of runners and seems to be a better hitter than Wieters.  I'll totally take it.  This seems spot on.

Castillo could be a sneaky good pickup for us.

21 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Castillo may not be the next coming of Johnny Bench behind the plate, but he throws out a lot of runners and seems to be a better hitter than Wieters.  I'll totally take it.  This seems spot on.

Castillo could be a sneaky good pickup for us.

CzReoF_XUAENPh8.jpg

Welington is a catcher, but not a very good one. His hitting is ok, but overall he is a step down from MW. I am ok with that if the O's feel good about Chance Sisco, and this is just a stop gap. To me, the key to the off season is finally fixing the outfield. I would DH a platoon of Kim/Mancini. I would trade for Granderson or Bruce in RF. I would absolutely sign Revere to play LF. Rickard is the 4th OFer and can spell Revere against tough Lefties. There....All fixed.

1 hour ago, theobird said:

Welington is a catcher, but not a very good one. His hitting is ok, but overall he is a step down from MW. I am ok with that if the O's feel good about Chance Sisco, and this is just a stop gap. To me, the key to the off season is finally fixing the outfield. I would DH a platoon of Kim/Mancini. I would trade for Granderson or Bruce in RF. I would absolutely sign Revere to play LF. Rickard is the 4th OFer and can spell Revere against tough Lefties. There....All fixed.

Sounds like a good and reasonable plan.

10 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Im not impressed with Castillo after talking with people who really know. Below average arm according to a knowledgeable source. Not a great framer of pitches, calls a so-so- game too, Hits an occasional HR with mediocre hitting skills...but we had someone like that..his name is Matt Wieters.

These things may all be true.  But he thew out 38 percent of baserunners last year (better than Wieters) with that mediocre arm. So either he has a pretty quick release or the Diamondbacks staff is amazing at holding runners.  

He's been 31 percent throughout his career where as the league average has been 28 percent.  I'm not worried about his throwing. 

Can hit and has pop

Throws runners out

Pitch framing 

If a catcher had all three of those they would be getting much more than the 2/12 we are speculating for Castillo. I think this guy is a bargain right now and we need to snatch him up. He will give us close to what MW did for about 5-7 million less a year. 

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Can hit and has pop

Throws runners out

Pitch framing 

If a catcher had all three of those they would be getting much more than the 2/12 we are speculating for Castillo. I think this guy is a bargain right now and we need to snatch him up. He will give us close to what MW did for about 5-7 million less a year. 

He's a terrible pitch framer. 

2 hours ago, theobird said:

Only way I'd improve on that is by engineering a CarGo trade with Colorado for RF so they can sign Trumbo for 1B.

2 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

He's a terrible pitch framer. 

That's why I said if he, or another catcher, had all three of those attributes, they would be looking at more than a 2/12 type deal.  

At this point Castillo is the best we can do besides MW.  MW has Boras.  Too much value to pass up on here with Castillo.  

Archived