Does a Tigers bat fit?

Just Regular

There have been reports the Tigers are looking to reduce payroll this offseason, even though they have a win-now nucleus and an old owner who is seeking a championship.

Really, the Tigers are in some ways similar to us, so any trade would need to respect both club's 2017 ambitions.  Their bullpen isn't very good.

They have Victor Martinez with 2/36 left on his deal, that would bury Mancini forever in our org, but give the lineup a bat with an eye like none it's had in a long time.  He was the Tigers lone left-handed hitting starter with 8 righties last year.  

They have JD Martinez with 1/12 left on his deal, who would be a superior RF to any possible option.  Both players fit the Orioles Machado window well.

How would you arrange by trade value?

Hyun-Soo Kim, Mychal Givens, Brad Brach, Trey Mancini, Victor Martinez and JD Martinez

JD Martinez would impact the lineup in a way no free agent besides Edwin Encarnacion would.  His last three seasons, age 26-28: .299/.357/.540.  If the Tigers want Brad Brach I do that deal.

Martinez however had an uncommonly bad defensive season in 2016.  Even for him.  There's a chance that it was an aberration, and that he would be a fair RF moving forward.  It's just a dream to me... but if they make the trade, I would hope that is the case.

7 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

JD Martinez would impact the lineup in a way no free agent besides Edwin Encarnacion would.  His last three seasons, age 26-28: .299/.357/.540.  If the Tigers want Brad Brach I do that deal.

Martinez however had an uncommonly bad defensive season in 2016.  Even for him.  There's a chance that it was an aberration, and that he would be a fair RF moving forward.  It's just a dream to me... but if they make the trade, I would hope that is the case.

You'll have to give up more than Brach to get JD.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

The tigers are after young cheap talent, not 30 year old relievers with 2 years left. Sound like they are looking to rebuild.

3 hours ago, esmd said:

Yeah JD Martinez is the only guy that really fits.  I'd love to have him.  But the price to get him is probably unattainable, just like McCutcheon.

We don't have what it takes in the minors and if we're making a trade for one of these guys than it doesn't make sense to weaken our MLB roster.  

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would have interest in JD as a DH. Not sure what the cost would be. Brach and Mancini?

Just curious, but why wouldn't you want him in RF?  My impression was that he's at least an average outfielder.

59 minutes ago, esmd said:

Just curious, but why wouldn't you want him in RF?  My impression was that he's at least an average outfielder.

He has been consistently negative, and Fangraphs and dWAR have him worse than Trumbo last year, to put it into perspective. Now, his career numbers aren't that bad, but anyone who can be worse than Trumbo over 1,000 innings can't be average.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

He has been consistently negative, and Fangraphs and dWAR have him worse than Trumbo last year, to put it into perspective. Now, his career numbers aren't that bad, but anyone who can be worse than Trumbo over 1,000 innings can't be average.

I don't care what the numbers say, I don't believe Martinez is worse than Trumbo defensively. 

That said, it's a moot point because we don't match up well (since they're rebuilding).

Most of you don't want to hear this, but a Brach for Bruce swap is what makes the most sense (for both teams). Bruce replaces Trumbo's power (and gives us a bit more speed) and we have plenty of bullpen arms to potentially 'step up' to replace Brach. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't care what the numbers say, I don't believe Martinez is worse than Trumbo defensively. 

That said, it's a moot point because we don't match up well (since they're rebuilding).

Most of you don't want to hear this, but a Brach for Bruce swap is what makes the most sense (for both teams). Bruce replaces Trumbo's power (and gives us a bit more speed) and we have plenty of bullpen arms to potentially 'step up' to replace Brach. 

I would also be interested in Bruce as DH. I would not give Brach for him. 

22 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Pedro Alvarez and Chris Carter?  Save money and save Brach.  A Bruce for Brach trade would finally make the annual 4th place prediction in the AL East true.  

16 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't think they're rebuilding - I think they are trying to have it both ways.  They need to surround Cabrera/Verlander with pieces befitting their talents just like we do with Machado.  They are strong at RF/DH and we are strong at RP and both teams want to be good this year.  Honestly trade chips like Kim, Givens and especially Brach - their sweet spot is more retooling club like the Tigers than a full-on rebuilder like the White Sox.

Archived