What's the high level plan for 2017-2018 (or what SHOULD it be?)

esmd

So I've seen a lot of posts in a lot threads talking about trading Machado, Britton, Jones, etc., what the team looks like in 2019, etc.  My thing is, what's the plan for 2017-2018?  Seems to me the Orioles should be all-in for this year, because THIS year is the year to go for a WS.  I say that because, if they don't seriously contend this year for it, they've got to think about moving Machado, Britton, and maybe Jones next offeason, and rebuilding (or call it retooling) on the fly so to speak.  They're going to find themselves in a big dilemma if they don't trade those guys this offseason, because in 2018, if they're in contention or close to it, they're going to be tempted to go for it, and that means potentially losing Machado and Britton as free agents after coming up short of a WS, which is the worst possible outcome.  So rather than set themselves up for failure in 2018 and beyond, it seems to be the year to go all-in is this year.  Trade whatever prospects we can trade to get ML talent (McCutcheon, JD Martinez, etc) and go for it.  I'm trading any prospect not named Bundy or Gausman to get one of those guys, and that includes Sisco, Harvey, Mancini, Lee, etc.  Whatever it takes.  I'm not concerned about wiping out our farm system, because theoretically you're going to replentish it in 2018 when you trade off Machado, Britton, Jones, Brach, etc.

I guess the only hole in my theory is if you win it all this year, how do you do a fire sale in the offseason or in 2018, especially if you're in contention again?  I guess my thing would be if you win a WS this year, and would contend seriously for another in 2018, you could let Machado and Britton leave as FA's.  That would mean only draft picks, but for a WS title or two, I could live with it, lol.

I dunno, it just seems like kind of going for it, but not really going for it (the FO's approach the last few years) is going to leave them in the worst possible position, a fringe contender that doesn't really know when to move their assets for the most value in return.

So you all tell me, how would you plan the next two years at a macro level?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am against trading any more prospects.  They won't get you anything anyway.  

Any year we make the playoffs is a good one in my book.

Pick up and outfielder or two as a FA and/or a DH for a one or two year deal.  And then roll with what we've got.  

If we suck in the first half of 2017, trade Britton and Manny and possibly Tillman before the deadline for prospects, and hunker down into rebuilding mode.  

I agree to go all in, which to me means signing Edwin. If, in fact, we begin to rebuild after this year you can always trade him also--especially if he hits like normal this year. You have no room to add to the rotation, the bullpen is great, so sign Edwin to DH and get a speedy defensing RF and go for it.

1 hour ago, pastorfan said:

I agree to go all in, which to me means signing Edwin. If, in fact, we begin to rebuild after this year you can always trade him also--especially if he hits like normal this year. You have no room to add to the rotation, the bullpen is great, so sign Edwin to DH and get a speedy defensing RF and go for it.

Edwin makes so much sense.  He fits the window/plan perfectly.  We would only lose like 12 spots in the draft to sign him, because we'd gain the pick for Trumbo signing elsewhere.  

The pitching staff is set and has depth at SP and BP.  We could go the cheap route with a defensive RF and look to improve the team at the deadline.  We need to go for it the next two years and work out the the future when it comes.  

I like it.  I'd rather have Encarnacion at 19-20M AAV for 4 years vs Trumbo at 13.75-15M AAV, he's the much better player in terms of BA, OBP, and OPS.  Angelos would have to sign off on that, but shoot, again, the window is pretty defined, and Pete's not getting any younger.  THIS is the year.  And Encarnacion would sure help against Sale, Price, and the rest of Boston's starters. 

After reflection, I just don't see them putting out the money for a soon to be 35 year old EE.  And I think Trumbo is more and more likely to leave with each passing day.  Here's what I'm thinking is more likely.

RF ?

LF Kim/Rickard

3B Machado

1B Davis

CF Jones

DH Pedro Alvarez/Mancini

2B Schoop

C Castillo

SS Hardy

The issue is RF/leadoff.  I dunno what they're going to do, but it's sure going to be interesting.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

After reflection, I just don't see them putting out the money for a soon to be 35 year old EE.  And I think Trumbo is more and more likely to leave with each passing day.  Here's what I'm thinking is more likely.

RF ?

LF Kim/Rickard

3B Machado

1B Davis

CF Jones

DH Pedro Alvarez/Mancini

2B Schoop

C Castillo

SS Hardy

The issue is RF/leadoff.  I dunno what they're going to do, but it's sure going to be interesting.

I don't foresee leadoff as a concern. I don't think it will be all that interesting either. 

2 hours ago, esmd said:

RF ?

LF Kim/Rickard

3B Machado

1B Davis

CF Jones

DH Pedro Alvarez/Mancini

2B Schoop

C Castillo

SS Hardy

Edwin 4/72.  Give him an opt out after year one.

2017- 20 million

2018- 16 million

2019- 18 million

2020- 18 million

He gets 2.5 million more than the QO for 2017.  Plus he gets a year to pop off in OPACY and enter a potentially better market.  

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Edwin 4/72.  Give him an opt out after year one.

2017- 20 million

2018- 16 million

2019- 18 million

2020- 18 million

He gets 2.5 million more than the QO for 2017.  Plus he gets a year to pop off in OPACY and enter a potentially better market.  

You do realize that you are forfeiting your first round pick. Right? That's why no opt out. 

Archived