Pedro Alvarez

esmd

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Who his agent is.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The same guy that had him sign a one year deal last season.

Everyone ready for a good laugh?  Gotta love Boras.

Agent Scott Boras said Wednesday that Pedro Alvarez could play some outfield in 2017.
Or at least that's what Boras is trying to pitch to teams. Can't blame him for trying, but Alvarez is best-utilized as a designated hitter, which limits the potential landing spots. Alvarez batted .249/.322/.504 with 22 homers in 376 plate appearances with the Orioles this past season. Dec 7 - 3:38 PM

It's pretty clear that Pedro is just a DH this year.  There aren't really too many open DH spots in the AL.  Heck, looks like there aren't too many open 1B spots in all of MLB.  

I really like Pedro, but I think Buck used him and protected him like how he manages his "A" team relievers.  Didn't ask him to do too much.  Didn't play him in the field.  Protected him in a strong lineup and hid him from most LHP's (Except JJ Happ).  

The thing with Mancini is that he's underrated around MLB.  Wasn't a top draft pick or was never a top 100 prospect.  He's strictly a 1B/DH.  With us he's a DH for 6 years.  So his value isn't that high to other organizations and to us he is only a DH.  

The value is that he could probably put up 1.0ish WAR a year as a DH while being team controlled for 6 years.  For him to have any trade value he would have to have a good year as a DH for us just to open eyes around MLB.  

If you sign Pedro Alvarez, it will really handicap the bench to have him and Mancini platoon at DH.  I'm not against that but you'd have to get a guy that can hit RH and LH's and play good enough defense to not need a potential defensive late game replacement.  The only guy that fits that bill is Pagan.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The thing with Mancini is that he's underrated around MLB.  Wasn't a top draft pick or was never a top 100 prospect.  He's strictly a 1B/DH.  With us he's a DH for 6 years.  So his value isn't that high to other organizations and to us he is only a DH.  

The value is that he could probably put up 1.0ish WAR a year as a DH while being team controlled for 6 years.  For him to have any trade value he would have to have a good year as a DH for us just to open eyes around MLB.  

If you sign Pedro Alvarez, it will really handicap the bench to have him and Mancini platoon at DH.  I'm not against that but you'd have to get a guy that can hit RH and LH's and play good enough defense to not need a potential defensive late game replacement.  The only guy that fits that bill is Pagan.  

How do you know that MBL isn't correctly rating him and you are overrating him?

Isn't that the more likely scenario?

A one win player that you can only put at DH doesn't seem all that useful.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How do you know that MBL isn't correctly rating him and you are overrating him?

Isn't that the more likely scenario?

A one win player that you can only put at DH doesn't seem all that useful.

Well we consider Pedro Alvarez useful and he was worth 1.1 oWAR last year.  

Isn't 1 WAR worth 8 million?  I'd say that's pretty useful for three season's at/near the league salary min.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well we consider Pedro Alvarez useful and he was worth 1.1 oWAR last year.  

Isn't 1 WAR worth 8 million?  I'd say that's pretty useful for three season's at/near the league salary min.  

1 WAR is not worth eight. But supposedly 5 WAR is worth ~35

At the low end, it's just a tool to tell if a player is worth anything, or not. There are many 1 WAR players available for 650K. Not 8 million.

21 minutes ago, weams said:

1 WAR is not worth eight. But supposedly 5 WAR is worth ~35

At the low end, it's just a tool to tell if a player is worth anything, or not. There are many 1 WAR players available for 650K. Not 8 million.

I'm not a WAR expert and I don't know how much it matters with a DH.  There are only 15 of those positions available in the MLB.  I think Mancini would OPS .775+ over the course of a season vs LHP.  

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm not a WAR expert and I don't know how much it matters with a DH.  There are only 15 of those positions available in the MLB.  I think Mancini would OPS .775+ over the course of a season vs LHP.  

I want him to succeed, but I think some fans believe he is the answer to all of their prayers and they can ride his bat to the WS.

I do not want to be in that position to depend on him.

If he can contribute as part of the 25 man roster in whatever role he earns for Buck, great!

Archived