Boooooooo! Pirates expected to select Alvarez in June Draft

I just hope we get the best hitter availible. There's enough pitching in the system, so I think we can hold off until at least round two or beyond for that position.

I understand the thinking, we definately have too few quality bats in the system. However I do not agree that there is enough pitching in the system. We have a pretty good base to get to that point but we are nowhere near the point where it can be said that we have enough IMO.

Article: "The Pirates have never given a major-league contract to a draft choice. They also haven’t selected a Boras-advised player since selecting Stanford left-hander Jeremy Guthrie in the third round of the 2001 draft."

:eektf:

I knew he was talented, but I didn't know he threw lefty in college. :laughlol:

I think the Pirates learned their lesson dealing with Boras that year, as Guthrie went back for his senior year and turned that into a 1st round draft in 02. More interesting than that in 01 was the fact that the Pirates took Guthrie immediately after our pick in the 3rd round, and then Jeff Keppinger immediately after our pick in the 4th, all the while before Ryan Howard gets drafted in the 5th.

Oh what I wouldn't give for a Delorian, 121 jigawats, and a scout's phone number.

Before tonight's Keys game, a Royals scout was in the pressbox on his phone, talking about various trade pieces and the draft. He specifically brought up Posey's name in the conversation after talking about Wieters. I think with John Buck and Miguel Olivo, they're not real content at that position, so seeing them draft Posey would be a good thing for us.

As far as Alvarez is concerned, I think that they would be wise to take him with that pick instead of the Beckhams or Posey. Then again, I don't know all that much about the draft. I just hope we get the best hitter availible. There's enough pitching in the system, so I think we can hold off until at least round two or beyond for that position.

Let's play out a few scenarios.

Scenario A

1.) TB Posey

2.) Pitt Alvarez

3.) KC Beckham

4.) O's Smoak/Matusz/Hosmer

Scenario B

1.) TB Beckham

2.) Pitt Alvarez

3.) KC Posey

4.) O's Smoak/Hosmer/Matusz

The only way we land Beckham is Scenario C

1.) TB Posey

2.) Pitt Alvarez

3.) KC Matusz

4.) O's Beckham

The scout talking about Posey may mean that they have inside information that TB is leaning towards Beckham. If that is the case then the O's are likely to end up with Matusz/Smoak/Hosmer. Most people describe Matusz as a #2 starter. I will be happy with whoever we take at #4, but here is a list of players I would want to fall to us.

1.) Alvarez

2.) Beckham

3.) Smoak

4.) Posey

5.) Hosmer

6.) Matusz

If the Rays select Alvarez VS Posey at #1, how does that change the 2, 3 & 4 selections in folks opnion ?

Then PIT takes either Matusz, who they really like, or Smoak or Hosmer if they are serious about an impact bat. I think they aren't as high on T. Beckham.

KC takes Posey, and we still have T. Beckham, or whoever PIT doesn't take to choose from. Either way there are plenty of options at #4 this year.

I think we'll be taking Smoak or Matusz, whichever is available (Smoak over Matusz if Posey goes in the top 3 and both are available).

IMO, we should add Hosmer to that list.

The emerging first three picks appear to be TBeck, Alvarez and Posey.

In this scenario, IMO, we would be deciding between Matu, Smoak and Hosmer.

Archived