Is Dan Duquette thinking of Trumbo as an outfielder?

wildcard

I noticed in the this clip from High Heat on the O's website that   Dan says he is still looking for an outfielder and then talks about Trumbo.  

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/bal/video/v1216629083/dan-duquette-discusses-os-interest-to-resign-trumbo/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

I am wondering if Dan is thinking of adding Trumbo as an outfielder instead of adding Trumbo as DH and also adding an outfielder?

The O's  could go into  the season with an outfield of Kim, Jones and Rickard left to right.  And Trumbo DHing. Rickard would be the leadoff hitter.  But the backup plan could be to move Trumbo to the outfield if Rickard doesn't hit well.    Tavarez would be the 5th outfielder.

When Trumbo is in the outfield Mancini could DH.

Please listen to the short clip and tell whether I am hearing this right.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they were willing to play him in the outfield last year why wouldn't they be willing to play him in the outfield next season?

They are obviously not overly concerned about outfield defense.

One of the goals of the off season was to improve the outfield defense.  Playing Rickard more would do that.    

But this sounds to me like the alignment against lefties could be Rickard in left and Trumbo in right with Mancini DHing.  Against righties it would be Kim, Jones and Rickard with Trumbo DHing.

If that is true then there is a lot riding for Rickard's thumb healing and him improving next year.

One clip doesn't  tell the whole story but it is something to watch for.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

One of the goals of the off season was to improve the outfield defense.  Playing Rickard more would do that.    

But this sounds to me like the alignment against lefties could be Rickard in left and Trumbo in right with Mancini DHing.  Against righties it would be Kim, Jones and Rickard with Trumbo DHing.

If that is true then there is a lot riding for Rickard's thumb healing and him improving next year.

One clip doesn't  tell the whole story but it is something to watch for.

Maybe if you are going by the "Better than Trumbo" standard, but Rickard was not good defensively last season.

Have you not noticed a severe disconnect between what Dan says in the offseason and what the team actually does?  I'm still waiting for those high OBP guys to show up.  And didn't he say something about adding a good starting pitcher last offseason?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe if you are going by the "Better than Trumbo" standard, but Rickard was not good defensively last season.

Have you not noticed a severe disconnect between what Dan says in the offseason and what the team actually does?  I'm still waiting for those high OBP guys to show up.  And didn't he say something about adding a good starting pitcher last offseason?

OBP guys Mancini and Tavarez.   Sisco may be up before the end of the year.   I have not heard Dan say he was going to add to the starting pitching.

Joey helps moves the O's outfield defense closer to average as opposed to below average in 2015.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they were willing to play him in the outfield last year why wouldn't they be willing to play him in the outfield next season?

They are obviously not overly concerned about outfield defense.

I think they saw the consequence over 162 games and will try and do better this year.    Which is not to say that Trumbo won't play some OF if he's back.   Just not 96 games' worth.  

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

OBP guys Mancini and Tavarez.   Sisco may be up before the end of the year.   I have not heard Dan say he was going to add to the starting pitching.

Joey helps moves the O's outfield defense closer to average as opposed to below average in 2015.

Joey was a poor defensive outfielder last season.

Poor.

Tavarez has a career OBP of 320 in the minors.  Folks made a big deal about Rickard's OBP in the minors last year, how did that work out?  I'll give you a hint, it dropped over 70 points.

They look to be trying to get a FA to slot in at DH so I am not sure why you are acting like Mancini is an answer.

Just now, Frobby said:

I think they saw the consequence over 162 games and will try and do better this year.    Which is not to say that Trumbo won't play some OF if he's back.   Just not 96 games' worth.  

I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't think they are offered a guy they see as a DH that contract.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't think they are offered a guy they see as a DH that contract.

I don't really understand that logic.  They'd rather pay $13-14 mm for him to play a terrible RF than use him where he's best suited?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't really understand that logic.  They'd rather pay $13-14 mm for him to play a terrible RF than use him where he's best suited?

Being considered a DH when you start a contract lowers your expected earnings.  A DH with Trumbo's numbers isn't going to be getting 4 years at 13-14M a year.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Being considered a DH when you start a contract lowers your expected earnings.  A DH with Trumbo's numbers isn't going to be getting 4 years at 13-14M a year.

I don't agree that playing a shoddy OF enhances his value.    If he's not worth $13-14 mm principally as a DH, then he's not worth it as a lousy RF, either.    It's more a question of who they can get to play in the spot that Trumbo doesn't play, and what that costs.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't agree that playing a shoddy OF enhances his value.    If he's not worth $13-14 mm principally as a DH, then he's not worth it as a lousy RF, either.    It's more a question of who they can get to play in the spot that Trumbo doesn't play, and what that costs.

I agree that it shouldn't, but that is the way it seems to be.  Maybe it is a side effect of the market for their services being much smaller.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He signed Trumbo to play RF last year. That was a conscious decision made when signing Pedro to be primary DH. I would not be surprised if he did it again if there is an opportunity to find value at one or the other. 

I believe he traded for Trumbo as insurance if the Davis deal didn't get done.  Then as a DH while signing Fowler.  When Fowler did what he did, the went after Alvarez.

Archived